Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nevous- Buying Used Private Market M3 - Latest and Greatest Correct Steps to Transfer Ownership - Factory Reset Won't Erase EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
I searched and spent a few hours reading through different posts/threads. I watched some YouTube videos as well. However there have been changes made to the process a few times over the years, most of the posts I've seen might be outdated, and I cannot seem to find a clear step by step guide that is clearly very recent.

I am buying a used M3 from a seller later today who is moving overseas tonight. I want to make sure there are no hiccups or mistakes made when transferring ownership electronically. Already have an account (due to Wife's new 2023). Here are some of my questions.

1. Do we use the App or Website?
I was under the impression that all this could be done via the app, but several posts I've seen indicate that this still needs to be done by going to the Tesla website.

2. Does the seller do a factory reset first? Via app?

3. The Factory Reset step will NOT make the car lose EAP and the current EAP will transfer fully over with the car to me correct? What about remaining days of Premium Connectivity (monthly)?

4. At what point do I do the "Claim Ownership" thing where I enter the VIN? After or before the owner does the Factory Reset option, versus the "Remove Vehicle" option? In between the two? After both steps are done?

5. Will I have full control/access to the car then?

6. Possible hiccup: The owner has to mail me the physical title once it arrives from his bank and I will register it then. Does the fact that the owner never had the title previously mean that the owner might not even be able to do the Factory Reset and "Remove Vehicle" steps to transfer it to me electronically or is this a non-issue?

Anything else that I need to understand or anticipate to ensure things go as well as can be later today?

Thanks all,

Paul

Factory Reset can only be done in the car, and requires the Tesla account credentials, so the seller should do it. You won’t lose EAP. Once you actually take ownership of the car, Tesla can help get it associated with your account. When that happens, you’ll probably lose Premium Connectivity.

Upvote 0
Hey Paul! I thought I had responded to this Friday when you texted. Got busy with guests and a large festival in town.

Anyway, I guess it's too late now and my experience is a couple years old, so may not be applicable anymore. But, my experience from 7/2021 was:

1) We (me and the buyer) used the app. I added his email to my account after payment was secured. This allowed him to schedule an MCU upgrade during the same trip he would be on when picking the car up. He was coming from CA, flying one-way to LA (not L.A.), and scheduling the MCU upgrade in New Orleans so he could enjoy the new MCU for the trip home. This method worked fine. When I added his email to my account, I could choose what vehicles he had access to. I only allowed the car he was purchasing.

4) He didn't claim ownership until he left my house. He said nothing changed with anything on the car. EAP stayed in place, unlimited super charging stayed in place, premium connectivity stayed in place.

He's on the forum, so if he's watching this thread, he can provide some comments from the other side of the transaction.

Enjoy the car! This goes without saying actually... hard not to enjoy any Tesla.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
Upvote 0
Hey Paul, just wondering what your experience was. I'm hoping to get a used 2020 M3P this weekend. We were going to follow this:

Surprisingly, my experience was seamless. From what I remember, I had him add me to the car and then he removed himself. I don’t quite remember all the details, but one issue was that all of the saved drivers settings transferred over with the car which was annoying. A few days later, I took a chance and did a factory reset and… The car still recognized me as the primary driver/owner. Never had to send anything in to Tesla to prove it either.

Finally got the title two days ago and got it registered in my name this morning. Now I can sell it and look for a M3P w FSD or a P100DL. I should have just gone with that rather than the very best deal I could find… Live and learn. Literally. Learned a ton in the month or so that I’ve had this M3 LR w EAP.

-Paul

Reactions: Nexeus
Upvote 0
Surprisingly, my experience was seamless. From what I remember, I had him add me to the car and then he removed himself. I don’t quite remember all the details, but one issue was that all of the saved drivers settings transferred over with the car which was annoying. A few days later, I took a chance and did a factory reset and… The car still recognized me as the primary driver/owner. Never had to send anything in to Tesla to prove it either.

Finally got the title two days ago and got it registered in my name this morning. Now I can sell it and look for a M3P w FSD or a P100DL. I should have just gone with that rather than the very best deal I could find… Live and learn. Literally. Learned a ton in the month or so that I’ve had this M3 LR w EAP.

-Paul
Lol omg. You just bought it and now you’re selling? What are the details? I may be interested.

Upvote 0