Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 0-60 Times caused by new drive unit it seems...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I downloaded the Visable Tesla app on my mac. There is a large thread on this website. Essentially an older app that allows you to co tell and view things much like the native phone app. There is an info section once you connect that shows all these codes. I am not an expert on this subject, I ran across this info on this forum yesterday.

I say stop reading these threads, enjoy the performance. There is nothing in it for you to keep reading, at best you confirm you have the perf, at worst you find out it was a placebo effect. ;)

I think I have the placebo upgrade. Mine seems quicker since the 17.26.76 software push. The car is a May build so it should have the old nonmillion mile motors and the last of the leftover unimproved electronics. Still, it feels much quicker.

I did hook up that orange limit-defeat wire.

So when we measure the 0-60 times, do we do the one foot Motor Trend rollout? I wonder how much rollout I'll need to get my 0-60 times under 4 seconds.

I think I have the placebo upgrade. Mine seems quicker since the 17.26.76 software push. The car is a May build so it should have the old nonmillion mile motors and the last of the leftover unimproved electronics. Still, it feels much quicker.

I did hook up that orange limit-defeat wire.

So when we measure the 0-60 times, do we do the one foot Motor Trend rollout? I wonder how much rollout I'll need to get my 0-60 times under 4 seconds.
Orange wire?

Everything is so commnfusing. No one has a straight answer.

Your car, produced on June 16th, was likely made on the second day of the new drive unit codes showing up on cars. Since the performance upgrade hasn't been implemented yet, even though some service centers are quoting the latest firmware as enabling the upgrade, no one knows if having those codes really means that you 1) have enough hardware or 2) will have to pay extra for the upgrade. Patience. The big mystery here is DE's orange wire.

Reactions: Mrwatchdawg
Your car, produced on June 16th, was likely made on the second day of the new drive unit codes showing up on cars. Since the performance upgrade hasn't been implemented yet, even though some service centers are quoting the latest firmware as enabling the upgrade, no one knows if having those codes really means that you 1) have enough hardware or 2) will have to pay extra for the upgrade. Patience. The big mystery here is DE's orange wire.

That's what I hope but no one knows any answers accurately. That's what sucks.

It appears that the new drive unit is coincidental to, but not required for the performance upgrade. If user rsan is correct, rsan has the old drive unit (pre DU00) as well as the existing BTX5 350v battery. Living in Australia, rsan's car, VIN199xxx, had a production date of 22 May and was delivered the week of 17 July. Rsan confirmed the performance upgrade before taking delivery. And rsan timed the car's 0-60\0-100 times at 4.25 and 4.4 seconds respectively.

It is still possible that rsan's car is slower than new "uncorked" DU00 models. But it is clearly faster than cars produced weeks later with DU00 that have not been "uncorked".

Last edited:
So, apparently the new drive unit is able to be done to inventory cars, I've been told the inventory vehicles will have this new unit. I believe it too, I test drove a 75D and it felt like a 90D, so there's that!
Either they a. are full of bull and the old drive unit is capable of the faster times, b. the person you talked to is uninformed, or c. the new drive units were installed earlier than admitted. I'm not going with a or b with an a lean. Tesla, please give me my speed!

Either they a. are full of bull and the old drive unit is capable of the faster times, b. the person you talked to is uninformed, or c. the new drive units were installed earlier than admitted. I'm not going with a or b with an a lean. Tesla, please give me my speed!
From what I understand, it isn't the whole entire unit which has been changed, but parts of it. Apparently the parts are a some what simple change, then the software of course. Either way, the one I drove was no slouch compared to the one I drove last year around November December. I think that 75D was build mid of last year. It was enough for me, I'll aim for that new roadster!

Reactions: Tazman
a) the old drive unit is capable of most of the faster time

and

b) most people you speak to will be misinformed

and

c) the new drive units were likely installed one week earlier than most think

If its easy to do, it would be interesting to see an option of an upgrade for older models.
Yep. Pricing on this will have been a fascinating internal discussion at Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tazman