Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 100D MX owner of 2 weeks. 3 Service center visits already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, I actually typed up all the issues but TMC has a 10 min limit when posting on the phone so it didn't go through (and didn't feel like typing it again).

Anyway, feels like i've been discovering a new issue literally almost everyday since I picked up the MX. Manufactured towards end of March 2018 so hope that puts it into perspective for people who are optimistic about better Tesla quality now.

Issue List.
1) Front bumper / side fender misalignment. Noticed this on delivery day but given that I waited 3hrs (past appointment time) to see the car I figured I'll get this addressed later. (wife and kid were at their limit with no dinner @ 9PM).

2) AC no longer works. Just blows air.... And on a hot day like today it was unbearable to drive in anymore. Feels like mobile sauna. Which leads to my next issue.

3) Uneven airflow between driver / front passenger seat. The difference is significant. Crank up the AC to Max 11 setting the passenger barely gets any air compared to driver vents. Is this normal ??? Once i close off the driver vents the passenger significantly increases.

4) Mid row seat motor crapped out. You can hear the motor whirling but no movement.

5) Falcon wing door waterfall. Yep, open the FWD on a rainy day and the entire interior gets a bucket load of water inside... or right onto my 1.5yr old in the carseat. WTF seriously?

6) Driver seat crease. Should've noticed this at delivery day but again it was rushed after 3hrs + waiting.

7) Turn signal stalk plastic clicks. Not major issue but pretty annoying. Feels like the stalk is not sturdy and clicks with minimal touch.

8) Carbon fiber trim manufacturing cosmetic defect. Didn't notice until sun hit it at an angle and you can see waviness / bubbling on the trim edge on center console.

9) Passenger window squealing. Squeals when rolling windows up/down

10) SW freeze. Driving on highway a few days ago and entire 17" panel and instrument panel freezes, goes berserk, and resets itself after 5 min.

11) Rear camera green screen. One day the rear camera just stopped working and shows complete green screen. Tried to reset it with the scroll wheel method and wasn't even able to reset at all. Then tried complete power down, wait 2 minutes, power up. Didn't work either

12) Summon on app never connected successfully. Tried to reboot phone as well which I read fixes the issue. Nope didn't work

13) Limited battery cooling error message. Yeah not sure what this one is about but one morning I got a system message regarding limited battery cooling "Bring to Tesla for service immediately".

So like other owners who chimed in on this thread, for people who are on the fence about getting a Tesla, just putting it out there that the quality issues you've been reading are still very real. I for one believed too blindly the pretty picture painted by Tesla sales reps and the people who downplay by saying the forums are only for people who complain and doesn't affect the majority of Tesla's out on the field.

Sorry but I paid $130K for a brand new car that I don't even want to drive right now. And I know when I take it into service to get these issues fixed its not going to be fixed within a short period of time. Of course they say they cant guarantee a Tesla loaner so looks like I'll be paying $130K to drive a rental ICE car for who knows how long.

To echo whats already been said. To say my Tesla experience so far is a disappointment is an understatement.

I think someone needs to come out with a "Buying a Tesla vehicle For Dummies" book asap. I've noticed that a lot of new owners go in blindly, disregarding numerous problems reported on this forum, and perhaps chalking them up to other people's cars, not allowing the possibility that it could very well be theirs as well. Expectations need to be lowered, several notches lower, compared to pretty much all other automakers. When one doesn't expect much, it's easier to forgive, but then again, easier said than done, especially when you're paying over $100K for a "brand new" vehicle.

Last edited:
I think someone needs to come out with a "Buying a Tesla vehicle For Dummies" book asap. I've noticed that a lot of new owners go in blindly, disregarding numerous problems reported on this forum, and perhaps chalking them up to other people's cars, not allowing the possibility that it could very well be theirs as well. Expectations need to be lowered, several notches lower, compared to pretty much all other automakers. When one doesn't expect much, it's easier to forgive, but then again, easier said than done, especially when you're paying over $100K for a "brand new" vehicle.

I agree that potential new owners placing orders should have the expectation that their new Tesla delivery will not be without issues.

And yes much easier said than done when your shelling out $100K for a new car. I guess push comes to shove when you get put into a crappy ICE rental for over 50% of the time you owned that new vehicle since delivery.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
I agree that potential new owners placing orders should have the expectation that their new Tesla delivery will not be without issues.

And yes much easier said than done when your shelling out $100K for a new car. I guess push comes to shove when you get put into a crappy ICE rental for over 50% of the time you owned that new vehicle since delivery.

Tesla is usually very good about putting you in good MS. If they don’t have one available that day, they will usually get you MS in soon.

Wow, went through all the pages and it's very, very sad. That So many people have so many problems in March 2018 delivery. I ordered mine in March and for the last 2 month it was saying "June Delivery", and in fact, it still says "June Delivery", and June is the end of the quarter and knowing how overwhelming Tesla Factory with Model 3 production now, I am seriously freaked out now.

I had 4 Acuras MDX in the past 12 years, before that I had Nissan (5th car), and had 0 problems with any of them. So people who are saying that this is normal to have any problem or, as we see from people here - many, many problems, with that many cars, just please Shut it. Stop making excuses for Tesla. That is not normal. Period. Goof for you that you are a type of a person who can ignore things, I can't. Imperfections and broken things bother me a lot. So please stop giving us your 2 cents how people who are complaining "have nothing else better to do". Please keep it to your self.

TESLA GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. HIRE MORE PEOPLE and DO Quality Control before you ship the car out. Grow UP!

Wow, went through all the pages and it's very, very sad. That So many people have so many problems in March 2018 delivery. I ordered mine in March and for the last 2 month it was saying "June Delivery", and in fact, it still says "June Delivery", and June is the end of the quarter and knowing how overwhelming Tesla Factory with Model 3 production now, I am seriously freaked out now.

I had 4 Acuras MDX in the past 12 years, before that I had Nissan (5th car), and had 0 problems with any of them. So people who are saying that this is normal to have any problem or, as we see from people here - many, many problems, with that many cars, just please Shut it. Stop making excuses for Tesla. That is not normal. Period. Goof for you that you are a type of a person who can ignore things, I can't. Imperfections and broken things bother me a lot. So please stop giving us your 2 cents how people who are complaining "have nothing else better to do". Please keep it to your self.

TESLA GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. HIRE MORE PEOPLE and DO Quality Control before you ship the car out. Grow UP!

Its not about making excuses, Tesla is a new company. They don't have experience yet, and a lot of people are betting on them failing. I have owned GM's from the 90's and I will never own a GM product again. Constant problem after problem.

Yes Tesla does need to get their act together and they will. They have no choice. There will be a lot of EV's coming into the market soon. At least I hope they will. I may be wrong but I feel that if Tesla did fail EV program at other automakers would disappear.

This is a good post. I am that dummy! I read everything, hoped for the best, not impressed. Won’t go over my experiences again, no need to bore anyone. The thing is, if you compare buying a Tesla to buying an expensive boat, for example- it’s comparable. No matter how good the boat, you expect to “shake it down”, find the issues, get them fixed, and have a pretty decent boat at the end of that. Takes some money, patience, and time- but usually works out.

But in reality, few people feel they should go into a Tesla MX purchase with the expectation they have to “shake it down” and work out the defects. Most folks don’t have that expectation when buying a Tesla or a Kia. Sure- both companies produce bad cars- but no one should buy one expecting a bad car. When that mentality occurs...The car company is in trouble. Heck, even the boat company goes under when it’s rep is all about defects and bad boats.

Obviously Tesla has not hit that place yet- and we all hope it never does. But to me, where I live, I see a car company that is struggling with QC, struggling with customer service, and maybe just plain struggling.

So after we finish that book “Buying Tesla’s for Dummies” maybe we can write one for Tesla called “How to make good cars and quality customer service consistent and the norm for all your buyers”.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Tesla is usually very good about putting you in good MS. If they don’t have one available that day, they will usually get you MS in soon.

I hope this is the case for most folks. I’m awaiting service for my four week old car, and I was offered a basic rental from Enterprise...that was the only option.

I told them I’d just drive my Range Rover, which runs flawlessly and is dependable. They were appropriately unimpressed and thankful I didn’t cost them any money.

Its not about making excuses, Tesla is a new company. They don't have experience yet, and a lot of people are betting on them failing. I have owned GM's from the 90's and I will never own a GM product again. Constant problem after problem.

Yes Tesla does need to get their act together and they will. They have no choice. There will be a lot of EV's coming into the market soon. At least I hope they will. I may be wrong but I feel that if Tesla did fail EV program at other automakers would disappear.

Like you said, your previous experience with GM made you vow that you will "never own a GM product again". As you know GM now has good reliability and QA/QC than before. You have good alternatives besides GM and you moved on.

Tesla has a great opportunity with a fountain full of goodwill from its supporters and buyers for now. Tesla cannot take that goodwill for granted and do poor jobs on QA/QC. I have experienced poor QA/QC with all 3 Tesla vehicles I have owned (15 MS, 18 MX and 18 Model 3). I still give them benefit of doubt and still buy Tesla for now. That good will only go so far as I am a believer in EV and green future. I am not necessary a blind Tesla fan. I am careless of TSLA stock price unlike many TSLA longs or shorts. As a consumer, I dont care if TSLA is $100 or $600. As long as it starts have positive cash flow it will survive. Even if TSLA doesn't exist in its current form, it will continue under new ownership.

What will Kill Tesla is that its poor QA/QC will turn away its current supporters to other viable options once more credible EVs come on market. Just like GM lost your goodwill and business, I hope Tesla doesn't lose its current goodwill from its poor QA/QC over time.

I hope this is the case for most folks. I’m awaiting service for my four week old car, and I was offered a basic rental from Enterprise...that was the only option.

I told them I’d just drive my Range Rover, which runs flawlessly and is dependable. They were appropriately unimpressed and thankful I didn’t cost them any money.

They only have limited numbers of MS for loaner. I wouldn't bother for 1 day loaner. But if more than that, they will be able to put you in MS loaner soon. Just my experience with very busy Los Angeles SC in Burbank.

As you know GM now has good reliability
No they do not. Go look at any April auto issue of Consumer Reports or their auto buying guide you can find at a bookstore. Look at long term reliability of all their models across all model years. You will find many vehicles that have worse to much worse than average reliability, esp. as you go with older vehicles.

Compare that to Toyota, Lexus, and Honda. Most vehicles will have at least average reliability and many will have better to much better than average across all model years and models.

Sure, GM has a few reliable models but nowhere near the consistency of the above 3. You will find FAR more GM vehicles on Used Cars to Avoid Buying than the 3 nameplates I mentioned.

Also see Car Brands Reliability: How They Stack Up and 10 Most Reliable Cars.

Last edited:

It is unfortunate that Tesla quality still is a hit or miss it seems after 2 yrs of Model X production. But after calling the service center 15x plus I finally got lucky and got a Model S loaner. Apparently you need to call the exact time they have a loaner available and before they give it out to the next customer dropping off their car since they don't "hold loaners for anyone" nor will they put you on a waiting list. They take first come first serve very literally,

Anyway, driving a rental ICE car for a few days and finally getting back into a Tesla makes you really appreciate a Tesla that much more. The EV torque, smooth 1-gear ride, regen brake 1-foot driving style, 17" screen, etc etc... really makes Tesla driving experience better than ICE cars.

I do have to say though this was my first time driving a Model S and even being only a 75 model it still feels quite fast. Although I also have to say this makes me appreciate now my Model X more, haha. The auto present doors, controlling all doors from 17" screen, stepping on brake to close driver door, etc. etc... these little things really make the X stand out from ICE cars and even Model S.

Anyway, I hope the service center fixes all the issues on the first round. Even if you pick up your new X in June I think at the end of the day owning and driving a Tesla is still better than ICE cars.

Reactions: bell2041
It seems that those who get a perfect car are in the minority. For the money you pay, you are not going to get the luxury or fit and finish that you'd expect in any other vehicle that's similarly priced. I currently have an S and despite many service department visits and many times of the mobile service people visiting me, I still have issues with rattles that they never seem able to fix. And when they do fix one, another pops up. When I recently had a nearly brand new X loaner for over a month, the driver's side FWD constantly squeaked / rattled. The auto high beams and wipers were mostly worthless. It's annoying, and I'm not sure that Model 3 owners are going to put up with it in the same way that S and X owners have.
That said, my lease ends in July and I've got an X on order. While many things about the Tesla bother me, no other vehicle has an autopilot that's anywhere close to as functional, no other similar car has the range, I do not miss gas stations at all (especially Costco, which often has a wait), I love the near instant heat and A/C, I like that my car gets updates that actually add functionality every so often, I love that the car just turns on and off automatically, and I like that I never have to use my garage door opener! And there are plenty of other reasons that although I'd like a more luxurious or better manufactured vehicle, I don't see how I'm going to leave Tesla. Maybe eventually, other manufacturers will get close and I'll have a choice of many similar vehicles, but that's not the situation right now.
Oh yeah...it's also fast as hell and fun to drive!

I guess this is the glue that holds most Tesla buyers together- once you drive one of these vehicles- you see the promise that’s almost there... can you imagine a Tesla with Lexus build quality? Oh my goodness wouldn’t that be amazing.

Sadly the reality is FAR from that...but I guess we owners see the promise...and overlook some of the reality.

No they do not. Go look at any April auto issue of Consumer Reports or their auto buying guide you can find at a bookstore. Look at long term reliability of all their models across all model years. You will find many vehicles that have worse to much worse than average reliability, esp. as you go with older vehicles.

Compare that to Toyota, Lexus, and Honda. Most vehicles will have at least average reliability and many will have better to much better than average across all model years and models.

Sure, GM has a few reliable models but nowhere near the consistency of the above 3. You will find FAR more GM vehicles on Used Cars to Avoid Buying than the 3 nameplates I mentioned.

Also see Car Brands Reliability: How They Stack Up and 10 Most Reliable Cars.

Compared to GM from 80-90's, they can only improved!

Reactions: cwerdna
I can you imagine a Tesla with Lexus build quality? Oh my goodness wouldn’t that be amazing.
Indeed. If it had Lexus build quality w/Toyota, Lexus or Honda reliability and maintenance/repair costs similar to a Toyota all while Tesla actually is consistently profitable (vs. it currently reporting losses virtually every quarter, to the tune of over $4.5 billion cumulative), that would be amazing.

It seems that those who get a perfect car are in the minority.

If you mean literally perfect then I would tend to agree. But I think those who have multiple serious issues with their cars are in a minority that is typically overstated on the forums. Early MX production seemed pretty troubled too, so probably a lot more issues reported at that time. My Feb 18 delivered X has been very reliable so far with just a couple of very minor faults and quality issues - the worst being a dodgy boot closing sensor, which is actually quite irritating when the boot closes, bleeps and opens up again for no good reason. But other than that, it's as good or better than I've experienced with other premium brand cars. Reminds me I need to call the SC to get the boot closing problem looked at!

Lol. 12 or 8 doesn’t matter. It’s the power loss which was a result of this change. To reproduce the same level of sound, one now has to set the vol level about 2 levels higher than previously. Also at levels below 7, the bass is virtually non existent. It’s not about 12 vs 8 as much as it is about the recalibration reducing the quality and the power output. My kids even noticed given they were used to hearing their tunes around a certain volume level 5-6 and now they have to goto 7-8 for the exact same sound level. That’s a dead giveaway. As the audio level increases as well, the mid range really kicks in and one has to now reduce the mid into the -ve area to compensate. Bass and treble don’t sound the same nor provide the same punch.

The optimum EQ levels for good sound have been shown to be Dolby off, and the classic high low high wave pattern. What’s been noticed is lower quality reproduction of bass and treble at volume 3-7. Ie. Like not enough amp power. So it’s not just arbitrary settings. It’s what they did to the output.
Lol. 12 or 8 doesn’t matter. It’s the power loss which was a result of this change. To reproduce the same level of sound, one now has to set the vol level about 2 levels higher than previously. Also at levels below 7, the bass is virtually non existent. It’s not about 12 vs 8 as much as it is about the recalibration reducing the quality and the power output. My kids even noticed given they were used to hearing their tunes around a certain volume level 5-6 and now they have to goto 7-8 for the exact same sound level. That’s a dead giveaway. As the audio level increases as well, the mid range really kicks in and one has to now reduce the mid into the -ve area to compensate. Bass and treble don’t sound the same nor provide the same punch.

The optimum EQ levels for good sound have been shown to be Dolby off, and the classic high low high wave pattern. What’s been noticed is lower quality reproduction of bass and treble at volume 3-7. Ie. Like not enough amp power. So it’s not just arbitrary settings. It’s what they did to the output.
Unfortunately, I just ordered my MX100D and could find out the real problem here. There are three possible issues.
1. Underpowered speakers Amp to small
2. Overpowered speakers Amp to big
3. Settings are set to extremes.
At this time I would recommend that you set the unit to 0. No + or - adjustments.

Start listening and think in the mix minus mode. Listen to what you hear and change the eq setting by taking out what you don’t want to hear. Only plus settings might be a little extra bass since most people think that’s the right way it should sound.

After I receive my X I might be able to say more. I can set it with the gold line TEF25 and see what problems are present. If you would like that unit with accessories you will need another $7k for it.

Unfortunately, I just ordered my MX100D and could find out the real problem here. There are three possible issues.
1. Underpowered speakers Amp to small
2. Overpowered speakers Amp to big
3. Settings are set to extremes.
At this time I would recommend that you set the unit to 0. No + or - adjustments.

Start listening and think in the mix minus mode. Listen to what you hear and change the eq setting by taking out what you don’t want to hear. Only plus settings might be a little extra bass since most people think that’s the right way it should sound.

After I receive my X I might be able to say more. I can set it with the gold line TEF25 and see what problems are present. If you would like that unit with accessories you will need another $7k for it.

Be interesting to hear the results of your findings. Are you getting the standard or premium sound?