Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 100KWh battery (almost) official for S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the drop in your trade in will be minimal (probably not worth worrying about), however I am expecting a small (< 3K) price increase with the new 100 AP2 vs 90 AP1 vehicles.
I belive it will be more different, AP1 cost $2500, if they really have full autonomy with AP2(not finish yet but will come as an update later) that will sertanly cost a lot more. Also the battery price, I would be really suprice if they don't higher the price for 100 kWh battery even if I hope that they don't. As long as they now they can get extra money for it, it will cost more.

Guys I want to ask a theory, and get people's view if it is plausible. I just brought a P90D Ludicrous and it is currently being shipped from the US to here in the UK.

What do you believe the possibility is of all new Model S having a 100kWh battery but its just software locked, so say the P90D can be a P100D?

I was thinking this as it may explain the added performance of more recent Model S.

Would love your thoughts guys and girls....

Actually, while the "listed" 0-60 for both cars is the same, the real world performance of the P85 and P85+ is consistently 3.9s 0-60. The 90D is closer to it's listed value at 4.2s.

I have not seen a P85 do 3.9 sec on 0-60 mph. With 1 ft rollout yes from dragtimes, but the 85/90D can also do that with 1 ft rollout .The official time on the 85D/90D is the same as P85. 4.2 sec to 60. And the official time is without rollout. Only the PD model Tesla use rollout on. Add 1 ft rollout on the gtech or Vbox and it will be 0.3 sec "faster".

Also the P85 will almost every time loose grip in the "real" world where condition is not perfect like on a sticky dragstrip.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
I have not seen a P85 do 3.9 sec on 0-60 mph. With 1 ft rollout yes from dragtimes, but the 85/90D can also do that with 1 ft rollout .The official time on the 85D/90D is the same as P85. 4.2 sec to 60. And the official time is without rollout. Only the PD model Tesla use rollout on. Add 1 ft rollout on the gtech or Vbox and it will be 0.3 sec "faster".

Also the P85 will almost every time loose grip in the "real" world where condition is not perfect like on a sticky dragstrip.

Dennis, I am also waiting to get my 90D in the coming weeks and I have the same doubt.
Since Tesla applied the same philosophy to the 70kWh, I am wondering whether we have a software locked 100kWh battery.

I have not one, but two P85s currently, and this is completely BS.

Daily I can get 3.9-4s on a 0-60 from a dead stop, and grip from the rear tires is not a problem even throwing down the pedal as fast as possible, which I do frequently.

Look around these forums, there are plenty of reports, as well as on car reviews on other sites, that the 0-60 on the P85 is well under-reported. It's a great sleeper car.

Daily I can get 3.9-4s on a 0-60 from a dead stop, and grip from the rear tires is not a problem even throwing down the pedal as fast as possible, which I do frequently.

Look around these forums, there are plenty of reports, as well as on car reviews on other sites, that the 0-60 on the P85 is well under-reported. It's a great sleeper car.

Show me vbox or gtech data without 1 ft rollout then :) the dragtimes.com time on 3.9 is using 1 ft rollout.

The 1/4 times are also very similar. The dual motor is so much better than older rwd when it comes to traction when the condition are not great.
I dont have a 85/90D but a P85D. Just saying the 90D and 85D have no issues to race against the P85. So perfomance is not a issue to choose them over the P85. When you live in Europe the low top speed of the P85 is also not fun on the autobahn. The 85D and 90D does 250 kph against only 210 for the P85.

Last edited:

Getting a tad off topic here, but I'm actually really impressed with the traction control on the Model S. I've had traction control on other high performance cars, and usually when it engages you can actually feel it cutting power, and for best launches, you basically turn it off and manage wheel slip yourself. However, on the P85 Model S, the traction control is very seamless and fluid; there is no noticeable loss of power when the wheels begin to slip a little, and I've never felt as though I would be better off turning it off like on other cars (probably largely thanks to the electric drivetrain). I've actually never tried to turn if off as I have never felt the need so I don't really know if it would make any difference, but from my own experience I doubt it (correct me if I'm wrong here).

I hope we get rumors of price increases before announcement.

I don't think we'll see a price increase of any significance. Tesla is no longer production capacity constrained and I think they're pushing the upper limit of what the market will bear for the vehicle. We may see an extension of the software limited battery concept; it wouldn't shock me to see an 80, 90 and 100.