Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW 12/3: Nashville, TN Hearing - Call for Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
12/3 - Nashville - Save The Date

One more time ... many of you were at the Commission meeting in Nashville on 11/13 (11/13: Nashville, TN Hearing - Call for Owners ). Your presence made a difference.

It looks like things are close & yes, your presence would be helpful once again. I'll get the agenda posted in the next few days - but please clear your calendar for 12/3, if possible. (Maybe this time you can plan for lunch after the meeting!)

I'm also checking on CHAdeMO chargers again for those of you who have distances to travel, should know tomorrow. The last batch already had homes, so we'll have to scour for new ones.

As I get more information, I'll post - but please, again, save the date.

Chipper, Earthdog - I've requested CHAdeMO loaners for each of you. Fingers crossed.
-----
Update 11/26: Two loaners have been obtained and are already being prepared for shipment to you both, along with return labels. You should have them in plenty of time for the trip.

Last edited:
I received an invite via email but alas I am already committed to a day full of activity at work. Wish I could be there to support you guys. Regrets....

BTW NRG eVgo have turned on RFID activation for all the area MAPCO's in Nashville within the last week. If any of you guys plan on using a CHAdeMo adapter you'll need an eVgo RFID card as well for the MAPCO locations. MAPCO locations are more reliable than Blink for sure.

I think it is likely that we can occupy the meters on the street if we get there early enough (7am?). my wife has volunteered to put quarters in them during the hearing. if we have to go through this i also expect dealers to have their families/friends present this time. One point i overheard was the "support for local schools etc". This is simply advertising While well-meaning, it is a marketing strategy. How many dealership donations are made without public credit? And who is to say that Tesla will not support the community?

If this looks like it is going forward, on Monday I am going to formally request that the MVC decide whether we can even speak.PM me and perhaps I can help you arrange CHAdeMO charging if you need it. Thanks Jack on the EVGO update. This means that CHAdeMO will be the same cost as gas for us I think.

One point i overheard was the "support for local schools etc". This is simply advertising While well-meaning, it is a marketing strategy. How many dealership donations are made without public credit? And who is to say that Tesla will not support the community?

I always love this argument. It's usually coupled with 'dealerships give jobs to the community'. Do they really think Tesla doesn't hire locally and give back to the community?

I think it is likely that we can occupy the meters on the street if we get there early enough (7am?). my wife has volunteered to put quarters in them during the hearing. if we have to go through this i also expect dealers to have their families/friends present this time. One point i overheard was the "support for local schools etc". This is simply advertising While well-meaning, it is a marketing strategy. How many dealership donations are made without public credit? And who is to say that Tesla will not support the community?
Or Little League, where each team wears uniforms with the name of an auto dealer. Really, if someone were to design a funding mechanism for Little League, would anyone suggest it be funded by a stealth tax on car buyers? If people didn't have to pay tribute to the auto dealers cartel, they could keep more of their own money and decide themselves how to spend it in the community or what service organization to give to.

Actually if I were them I would have the recipients of their largess (I mean the service organizations, not the politicians) at the hearing. Time to call in the favors for all the money they've spread around.

Edit-- Never mind that last point. I momentarily forgot that by law this government body is comprised mostly of auto dealers. They don't need a show of support to convince themselves, unless it's part of a charade.

Last edited:
Or Little League, where each team wears uniforms with the name of an auto dealer. Really, if someone were to design a funding mechanism for Little League, would anyone suggest it be funded by a stealth tax on car buyers? If people didn't have to pay tribute to the auto dealers cartel, they could keep more of their own money and decide themselves how to spend it in the community or what service organization to give to.

Car dealers do not sponsor Little League teams out of any goodness in their heart. Car dealers buy advertising and when the cost is not justified with sales the experiment ends and funds used for other means to promote the dealership.

This means that CHAdeMO will be the same cost as gas for us I think.

That depends which plan the RFID card is associated to. Their premium plan costs $3 for 30 minutes in return for a $14.95/month, otherwise it could cost as much as $10.95 for 30 minutes for the pay as go plan.

Even though their stations require an RFID card I haven't been able to determine if a fee is actually being levied or not. I should find out at the next billing cycle.

For those of you travelling from the south there are 3 CHAdeMo units at Nissan HQ in Franklin. They have a liberal policy towards access.
Several Nissan dealers around Nashville have CHAdeMo units as well tho they are often ICE'd.

Last edited:
That depends which plan the RFID card is associated to. Their premium plan costs $3 for 30 minutes in return for a $14.95/month, otherwise it could cost as much as $10.95 for 30 minutes for the pay as go plan.

Even though their stations require an RFID card I haven't been able to determine if a fee is actually being levied or not. I should find out at the next billing cycle.

A friend who made to the last hearing borrowed my card and use the Blink CHAdeMO and I had a $7.95 charge each way. Yes that is expensive for electricity but priceless for the convenience. I do not pay a monthly fee, just for usage.

Probably the wrong thread and Bonnie may move but according to what I see for EVGO Nashville it is $4.95 session charge and $.20 per minute. I think Chipper was getting about 120 mph on EVGO. Assuming he would charge an hour this 120 miles would cost him about $17 or about $.14 per mile. This compares to about $.03 per mile for the electricity. At current gas prices a 30 mpg car does better than $.14 per mile. The charger had a Nissan logo on it and apparently Nissan is giving 2 years access to Leaf purchasers. I guess this is their answer to the problems with the Blink network. They continue to subsidize other charging systems rather than building one themselves. At least the CHAdeMO charger at EVGO worked. EVGO appears to me to be only a temporary or emergency option for MS owners until the Supercharger network is in the Nashville vicinity. I will continue to charge at home on solar.

Probably the wrong thread and Bonnie may move but according to what I see for EVGO Nashville it is $4.95 session charge and $.20 per minute. I think Chipper was getting about 120 mph on EVGO. Assuming he would charge an hour this 120 miles would cost him about $17 or about $.14 per mile. This compares to about $.03 per mile for the electricity. At current gas prices a 30 mpg car does better than $.14 per mile. The charger had a Nissan logo on it and apparently Nissan is giving 2 years access to Leaf purchasers. I guess this is their answer to the problems with the Blink network. They continue to subsidize other charging systems rather than building one themselves. At least the CHAdeMO charger at EVGO worked. EVGO appears to me to be only a temporary or emergency option for MS owners until the Supercharger network is in the Nashville vicinity. I will continue to charge at home on solar.
Yes, I was getting about 120-128 MPH and it took 2 sessions to get me enough to make it back to Chattanooga. At the time there was no charge. I am disappointed there will be a charge this time. Maybe I will look at the Nissan dealerships instead. This is my biggest concern when Tesla DOES (finally) roll out the adapter. On my way up to Nashville I stopped at a Cracker Barrel that had two Blink CHAdeMO and neither worked. People are finally going to receive their adapter and then blame Tesla for a non-working plug when Tesla will have no fault in the matter. It will be due to a poorly maintained Blink/EVGo/ChargePoint network but Tesla will receive the flak. I hope this will not be the case, but I am still concerned.

Maybe I will look at the Nissan dealerships instead.

There is a cosmic irony to that, using a Dealer CHAdeMo to attend a Tesla hearing :)

- - - Updated - - -

It will be due to a poorly maintained Blink/EVGo/ChargePoint network but Tesla will receive the flak. I hope this will not be the case, but I am still concerned.

Blink/CarCharging are financially at risk. The network is showing those signs.

eVgo is backed by NRG so should be immune to short-term cash flow issues. I anticipate a reliable network from them.
ChargePoint seem to be doing well enough.

Until Tesla finishes building its charging network, you'll suffer the same fate as the other OEM's customers do under the 'partnership' model. Musk realized partnerships would be troublesome, too volatile and too slow to mature.

Good luck at your meeting. This should help secure your future as Model S owners in this region.