TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New 12V Battery = Improved Audio!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ToddRLockwood, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#1 ToddRLockwood, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    I just had the 12V gel cell battery in my Model S replaced (the one behind the dashboard that powers the car's lighting and accessories). My Model S was from a batch of early-2013 vehicles that had a defective 12V battery installed. The car contacted the factory when the battery began to show signs of incomplete charging. This was well before any noticeable issues appeared. Tesla then contacted me to let me know it needed replacing.

After the battery was replaced by a Tesla ranger, I noticed a change that I wasn't expecting: the transient response of my sound studio audio system improved dramatically, particularly in the low end. The subwoofer, in particular, now has a much sharper, punchier sound. Makes sense.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Did they happen to update your FW? Or what FW do you have now? Also, post a pic of your audio settings if you don't mind and what music applies please? If not the FW update then maybe the sub wasn't getting enough power prior?

3. ToddRLockwood

Yes, they did update the firmware because the newer battery has a different charge cycle, according to the ranger.

This is the song I use for subwoofer comparison...

"Spoiled" by Joss Stone (via Slacker)

I have my audio equalizer set to: Bass: +5, Mid: 0, High: +4 (No Dolby)

4. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

They probably also installed one of THESE.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Todd, the improvement is due to the firmware update not the 12v battery replacement. Same thing happened to me after the recent software updates. I have not had my 12v replaced.

6. ToddRLockwood

I wondered about that. The battery going soft seemed like a possibility, knowing how subwoofers can sap power. Mega car systems often include additional gel cells to keep up with the power demand. All that said, I bet you're right. He also installed a new FW revision.

7. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Todd,

When you say that they updated the firmware, do you mean that they updated you from 5.6->5.8 (or 5.8.4), or that they did a firmware update to the DC-DC charger?

Peter

8. ToddRLockwood

#8 ToddRLockwood, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    Now that you mention it, I was already on v5.8.4, so the update done by the ranger must have been only related to the DC-DC charger. So it appears that my original hypothesis was correct: that the snappier subwoofer performance is due to the new 12V gel cell battery. Tesla may have also altered the audio EQ in a recent over-the-air update, but I'd already received it.

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Holy crap! I haven't laughed like that in a while! I wonder how many people buy these.

10. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

At that price, how could you not?! I'm assuming they'd be especially helpful in something that produces so much electromagnetic interference like an electric car.

Tesla should really offer some nice oxygen-free long-grain silver audio interconnects with dielectric sheathing as an inexpensive $10,000 audio upgrade as well.