Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 12V Battery [need to install insurance tracker box on 2022 Model3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you have to add a tracker box? You can track the Tesla with your phone app...
Trackers for insurance purposes would be reporting on speed/location, maybe hard braking or generally high G forces, to let the insurance company know whether or not the car is being driven responsibly, or where it is if its been stolen. Tesla can tell them all this stuff I'm sure, but I really doubt the Tesla/Insurance interface exists.

In the US there are similar things but at least to me, the $100 or so of savings is so not worth the invasion of privacy. Tesla already knows what my car is up to, and I'd rather not let yet another large corporation have that information.

Reactions: BigNick
You have never heard of a short? This is why we have fuses.
A fuse is to protect the device not the car's 12V battery or other electronics. In the case of a battery monitoring device, which uses very little current, it does not need fuse protection, even the leads to it are fairly thin. It basically just reads voltage. So your concerns are unwarranted for this particular device.

• Disagree
Reactions: ATPMSD
Hi there,

I just received my new 2022 Model 3. As I havent had a car since 2011, the only Insurance I was able to get was one with a tracker box installed.
The problem is, the installer was unable to figure out how to install the tracker to the new 12v battery in the 2022 Model.

I know it's a long shot, but does anybody have any ideas or experience? My 7 day temporary insurance has expired, and they refuse to send me a new disc until the box is installed, meaning my brand-new Model 3 now sits in the driveway and cant be used. Im a little frustrated as I mentioned it's a Tesla Model 3 to them multiple times, and they ensured me that the box can be fitted. Apparently the new 2022 Model 3 has a different battery to all other previous Tesla.

View attachment 850242
An update for anyone interested or if this thread is found via Google search. The Insurance company was unable to install the box on the second attempt as well. Any way to draw power directly from the 12v would mean soldering it and thus likely voiding the warranty. After a lot of back and forth with the insurance, they developed a new box that just plugs into the 12V Plug inside the centre console.
I have yet to find out how well that works, and if it is able to draw power while the car is in deep sleep since according to policy, it should be on at all times. I will update again in a few weeks time.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
An update for anyone interested or if this thread is found via Google search. The Insurance company was unable to install the box on the second attempt as well. Any way to draw power directly from the 12v would mean soldering it and thus likely voiding the warranty. After a lot of back and forth with the insurance, they developed a new box that just plugs into the 12V Plug inside the centre console.
I have yet to find out how well that works, and if it is able to draw power while the car is in deep sleep since according to policy, it should be on at all times. I will update again in a few weeks time.
The 12v plug in the console is switched power and turns off when the car goes to sleep.

If you are now moving inside the car see if your car has an OBD2 port. If it does then unswitched power is available. You can get a OBD2 to 12v outlet adapter from Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeroyJ