Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 12V Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious as well. The charging of this is different than lead-acid battery so the modules/software need to be 'aware' of the change.
I imagine that there is a heating element for the new 12V battery, else a thermal switch that prevents charging the 12V if the temperature of the 12V is too low, i.e. below 32F (0C). My understanding is that charging any lithium battery when too cold will irreperably damage the battery.

I imagine that there is a heating element for the new 12V battery, else a thermal switch that prevents charging the 12V if the temperature of the 12V is too low, i.e. below 32F (0C). My understanding is that charging any lithium battery when too cold will irreperably damage the battery.
I have viewed the tear down videos of the new 12V lithium replacement battery used in the refreshed Model S Plaid. There is no heating element. There is a logic board that can shunt power away from the battery to prevent charging. There is also a large lug on the positive cable that connects to the battery for jump starting the Tesla vehicle should the 12V lithium battery become discharged.

According to another thread:

the windshield washer pump also needs to be replaced (since the new "12V" battery is actually 15.5V). So a retrofit of an older Model Y would require the new battery, the new battery cable, and the new pump. And somehow telling the battery monitoring system about the new battery voltage. (unknown if other motors need to be replaced also because of the slightly higher voltage).

Since my part of the country eats lead-acid batteries, I'd really like to get my October 2021 MYLR retrofitted with this new battery.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
According to another thread:

the windshield washer pump also needs to be replaced (since the new "12V" battery is actually 15.5V). So a retrofit of an older Model Y would require the new battery, the new battery cable, and the new pump. And somehow telling the battery monitoring system about the new battery voltage. (unknown if other motors need to be replaced also because of the slightly higher voltage).

Since my part of the country eats lead-acid batteries, I'd really like to get my October 2021 MYLR retrofitted with this new battery.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

As a follow up to my previous post: it seems that the voltage connector back on the trailer hitch would also need a regulator to put out 12 volts instead of the lithium battery's native 15 volts. So that, and the other reasons above, may be why Tesla doesn't appear to be willing to release an upgrade pack.

So when I get to Summer, I'll be popping in a Ohmmu. Where I live (for the past 33 years), I replaced the batteries in my ICE cars every 3 years (because they usually failed before year 4). A battery is cheap compared to being stranded.

Scott

--

As a follow up to my previous post: it seems that the voltage connector back on the trailer hitch would also need a regulator to put out 12 volts instead of the lithium battery's native 15 volts. So that, and the other reasons above, may be why Tesla doesn't appear to be willing to release an upgrade pack.

So when I get to Summer, I'll be popping in a Ohmmu. Where I live (for the past 33 years), I replaced the batteries in my ICE cars every 3 years (because they usually failed before year 4). A battery is cheap compared to being stranded.

Scott

--

I’ve been thinking of getting a Ohmmu also.

Scott

--

You don't say where you live but I'm guessing the southwest somewhere, 3 years max in the desert.

Reactions: e645824
Do any auto part stores carry the lead acid 12V battery, or better yet a slightly larger/better version?
Not that has been found. The Tesla 12V lead-acid battery that is made for Tesla vehicles is a deep cycle maintenance free lead-acid battery. There is one battery that comes close to fitting but it has the location of the + and - terminals reversed. The only non-Tesla replacement is the Ohmu lithium ion battery.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
> $459 - 12V Lithium Battery for TESLA Model Y | ohmmu.com

vs

< $125 for a new OEM battery installed -
s0Wx0fT.jpg

You'd have to keep your Tesla well over 8 years (maybe longer) to break even. Not sure it's worth it.