Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 19" tire on tirerack for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My stock Goodyear 19" have only 15 k on them and tread needing replaced already?? I know I've been stepping on the pedal but wow.... Is this typical?

So suggestions for Florida 19 inch where we have lots of rain? Michelin primacy supposed to have better range ....want longer lasting too.

Primacy improves range a little bit because it is a "low rolling resistance" tire. If the other is also LRR, then there shouldn't be any concern.

We just got the S85 (P32507) two weeks ago. I had a long chat with the S/C tech about the tires, and the strong camber (2 degrees). This is puts a bit of extra pressure on the inside tread portion. There are camber adjusts on the 21 inch rims but not on the 19's (I like the look of more rubber to wheel ratio).

Actually the camber adjustment bolts work just fine on 19s. I had them installed yesterday and my car has the 19" wheels.

Road Composition

There is also one factor many of you are not taking into account with respect to tire wear. Asphalt composition. Here in Florida ALL tires wear out more frequently than in other parts of the country due to the higher composite content in the road surfaces supposedly to help with tire gripping in the rain. In all the cars I've owned over the years I've never gotten the advertised treadwear from any set of tires. Alignment has always been set to factory spec, but actual wear is usually 35-40% less. Roads here also create somewhat more road noise than in other states as well. So when looking at treadwear claims I always figure I'll get less than advertised. Depending on where you purchase your tires, the question always becomes is it worth the hassle of sending tires back if you get them from Tire Rack or other online sources?

One theory I have about my own tire wear, is that my entire commute is on surface streets, and so I probably have a lot more turns per mile than the average driver. (My commute, which is most of my driving, it about about 2 intersection turns per mile.) My last car burned through tires, too.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by xhawk101 viewpost-right.png My stock Goodyear 19" have only 15 k on them and tread needing replaced already?? I know I've been stepping on the pedal but wow.... Is this typical?

18,000 miles, no thread left and had to replace original Eagles. Unfortunately I had to replace immediately and put on same tire about 6 weeks ago via tire rack.

I got 47.5k miles on my OEM goodyears and I just replaced them last wkd with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I didn't go for the pirelli's as I noted in the original post because I went wider 255/45ZR19 and the pirelli's run like .3" bigger so it would that've caused a lot of rubbing problems. My goodyears had 3-4/32" left in them too so I could have got even more mileage out of them if I wanted to.

I bought the Cinturato P7 All Season (not LRR) about a month ago. So far I have 1800 miles.

At first they felt a little "spongy" -- but it turns out the tires were only inflated to 40psi. Tesla inflated them to 44psi and they felt much better.

Overall, they are much quieter than the Eagle RSAs (I never have tried the Michelin Primacy except in loaners...which seemed loud to me). The performance seems about the same. I will update this thread or start a new one when I'm around 10k miles on these tires.

Got a nail in my front passenger tire. It's still holding air, but will get it fixed, if its fixable. I'm just about at 20k miles on my original tires, so I'm thinking I may just up and get a new set. At this point the Cinturato's are my top choice. Sounds like a good balanced tire. I'm looking mostly for low noise, smooth ride, and if possible better range. I do lots of highway driving on my daily commute, and I'll cruise regularly around 75-80 mph, but i'm not out there racing anyone, so I don't need the utmost performance tire.

So, looking forward to more feedback if anyone has experience with them.

Jomo, I've had the Cinturato's for about 2 weeks (a little over 500 miles). My initial impressions are that they are a touch more quiet than the Goodyears, the ride is noticeably smoother, but my Wh/m seems to have increased a little. I also do mostly highway driving, and it's only been 2 weeks so it's a little difficult to get a definitive answer on the range. I also think I read somewhere that tires with more tread are less efficient than worn tires, so maybe that explains my increase. The Cinturato's also seem to have superior grip in turns...the Goodyears always bothered me because I felt like they "skipped" a little in tight turns. I'm hopeful that they'll hold up longer than the Goodyears as well.

Jomo, I've had the Cinturato's for about 2 weeks (a little over 500 miles). My initial impressions are that they are a touch more quiet than the Goodyears, the ride is noticeably smoother, but my Wh/m seems to have increased a little. I also do mostly highway driving, and it's only been 2 weeks so it's a little difficult to get a definitive answer on the range. I also think I read somewhere that tires with more tread are less efficient than worn tires, so maybe that explains my increase. The Cinturato's also seem to have superior grip in turns...the Goodyears always bothered me because I felt like they "skipped" a little in tight turns. I'm hopeful that they'll hold up longer than the Goodyears as well.

Awesome thanks for the info! Sounds like a winner...

My tire was fixable, so I didn't need to get a new set yet. Actually, (testament to my not driving too aggressively and the nice smooth roads in PHx) I do have good tread on them still. Probably can last another 10-15k miles (knock on wood) under continued similar use.

So, I'll be interested to hear more about your experience with the Cinturato's as they age as they are still my choice for the next set when needed.

I mistakenly picked up a set of these Pirelli Cinturato P7. The high tread wear rating hooked me. My RSA2's lasted 33.5k miles so I figured I'd be able to do 2 years without having to buy tires.

I wish I wouldn't have gotten them. The handling is poor, they're mushy, (inflated to 45psi), turn in is not linear, traction is WAY less than the RSA2's. I would NOT recommend these tires on a P85. S85 or 60 maybe they'd be good.

I'm talking with the tire store and the local pirelli rep to see if there is something I can do to get out of these tires. I'm very unhappy. The only good thing I've seen so far is that they are quiet. The poor dry grip had me very nervous in the wet and I have no confidence that they'll work at all in the snow.

I think I'm going to get a summer tire, Z rated, and then pick up some snows come winter.

Thanks for the feedback on them. Interesting. I am only in an S60, and again am not pushing the car performance-wise most of the time. So, they may still suit me. But will keep an eye out for additional feedback on these and others until I need to spring for new tires.

Bumping this thread hoping there would be further updates as to experiences with the Pirelli Cinturatos. I have an S85, coil suspension with the stock Michelins. Specifically, I was wondering if the Pirellis provided an increase in road quality/comfort (less road feedback) when compared to Michelins.

There is also one factor many of you are not taking into account with respect to tire wear. Asphalt composition. Here in Florida ALL tires wear out more frequently than in other parts of the country due to the higher composite content in the road surfaces supposedly to help with tire gripping in the rain. In all the cars I've owned over the years I've never gotten the advertised treadwear from any set of tires. Alignment has always been set to factory spec, but actual wear is usually 35-40% less. Roads here also create somewhat more road noise than in other states as well. So when looking at treadwear claims I always figure I'll get less than advertised. Depending on where you purchase your tires, the question always becomes is it worth the hassle of sending tires back if you get them from Tire Rack or other online sources?
More aggregate in the pavement will slightly increase resistance, but 35-40% is extreme overestimate, in my view and experience. Seems more like a few percent to me. -Alex