Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2 year lease offer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of interesting speculation!

I'm sure it's to boost Q3 numbers. The OA I've been working with has really been pushing me to a new vehicle instead of the CPO P85+ that I'm looking for. When I spoke with her yesterday afternoon, prior to the website being updated, she asked if I was still waiting for the Model 3. I replied that yes, I am, but would still like a CPO to bridge the gap. That's when she said a new 2 year lease program was being released. She couldn't tell me the numbers, as their system wasn't updated yet, but she said they would be around $600/month. She also mentioned that newly built cars would have rear cup holders (a small point of contention I brought up when test driving). I'll ask today if there's any other updates, and hope for some sort of hint at updated hardware.

I'm sure it's to boost Q3 numbers. The OA I've been working with has really been pushing me to a new vehicle instead of the CPO P85+ that I'm looking for. When I spoke with her yesterday afternoon, prior to the website being updated, she asked if I was still waiting for the Model 3. I replied that yes, I am, but would still like a CPO to bridge the gap. That's when she said a new 2 year lease program was being released. She couldn't tell me the numbers, as their system wasn't updated yet, but she said they would be around $600/month. She also mentioned that newly built cars would have rear cup holders (a small point of contention I brought up when test driving). I'll ask today if there's any other updates, and hope for some sort of hint at updated hardware.

Wouldn't the CPO car take a big hit on resale due to old autopilot? The 2 year lease car shifts the risk of technological obsolescence to Tesla.

Reactions: e-FTW
Wouldn't the CPO car take a big hit on resale due to old autopilot? The 2 year lease car shifts the risk of technological obsolescence to Tesla.

No clue, but it's something to consider. At this point, the CPOs that I've been looking at have already had the majority of depreciation occur. They also don't have AP, and they are still priced in the $60k+ range.
I'm generally not into leasing, but I'm also not convinced that I want to be "stuck" in a model S once the 3 is out. The 2 year lease seems like a nice solution. Time to discuss with the wife...

Last edited:
Clearly this is meant to boost 3rd quarter volume and entice those waiting for Model 3/P100D/AP 2.0. But for me it's having the opposite effect. I too smell an announcement Sept. 13. I'm guessing P100D w AP 2.0 is just around the corner. I'll wait.

Clearly this is meant to boost 3rd quarter volume and entice those waiting for Model 3/P100D/AP 2.0. But for me it's having the opposite effect. I too smell an announcement Sept. 13. I'm guessing P100D w AP 2.0 is just around the corner. I'll wait.
Yeah, since I'm not 100% sold on AP, and the P100D is leagues out of my price range, the next possible announcement shouldn't affect me.

I'll be picking up my car next Saturday and will be checking for the rear cup holders.

Reactions: singleview
This is just like any model year-end promotion that other car companies offer. We are used to thinking that Tesla is different with demand that is enormous... As tesla becomes mainstream, stuff like this is going to happen

No clue, but it's something to consider. At this point, the CPOs that I've been looking at have already had the majority of depreciation occur. They also don't have AP, and they are still priced in the $60k+ range.
I'm generally not into leasing, but I'm also not convinced that I want to be "stuck" in a model S once the 3 is out. The 2 year lease seems like a nice solution. Time to discuss with the wife...

With the down payment it still comes down to the equivalent of $1000 a month. If leased cars have the new AP hardware then a short 24 month lease really isn't necessary.

All Tesla purchase options today, including CPO, have an unusual level of uncertainty.

I could not find a way to determine what the buy-out would be. It looks like you pay $695 for a lease acquisition fee, AND $395 for a disposition fee. They assume you will NOT buy, but are figuring in the walk-away feature.
So, lets say you configure a $71,500 toy, and pay cash. You get sales tax and $7500 Fed Tax credit. If you borrow at 78 months at 1.74%, the same toy costs $919/mo and you still get $7500. If you Lease at $721/mo, your 24 month cost is $18,394 if you walk away. You will have missed out on the Fed tax credit. But what if you love your toy and want to stay?
Did I miss some buyout notice?

I could absolutely jump on this. Solves the market uncertainty of AP2 and Model 3 flood - but I'm missing that buyout link. Help

I just got the email. Trying to figure out the catch.

A 2-year lease option is one of our most popular requests. We listened and are launching a limited time test of a 2-year lease on Model Sand Model X. Starting at only $593/month (details here), our new 2-year lease program was designed just for you to drive electric today, and is available on all Model S and X orders placed by September 12th.

For additional savings, combine this offer with the Tesla Referral Program and apply a $1,000 credit towards your configuration. Just get the special personal code of any Tesla owner and enter it at the time of order.

It’s never been more affordable to experience the exhilarating performance and extraordinary safety of the groundbreaking Tesla Model S sedan and Model X SUV. With the best safety ratings of any car ever built and equipped with driver assistance Autopilot features that steer, change lanes and control speed, Tesla’s zero-emissions vehicles have revolutionized the modern driving experience.
No tax incentives is one catch

No tax incentives is one catch
Yep. The lease page is as it talks about "$4,788 effective down payment after $2,500 California incentive". Well, per Eligibility guidelines, the lease needs to be at least 30 months to qualify for the CVRP (I know this, since I used to lease a Leaf for 24-months and knew this going in).

And, to top if off, per Clean Vehicle Rebate Project says "Important Information from the State of California

Funding is currently exhausted. All applications submitted after June 10, 2016 will be placed on a rebate waitlist..."

So, the $7,288 due at signing (not including tax) will not be reduced by CVRP. And, of course, there's tax, license and fees on top of this that needs to be added to the total cost of lease.

Attachments

• lease-deceptive.png
    lease-deceptive.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Informative
Reactions: singleview