Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 20" Wheels & Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blue Model S with Ace Alloy Convex Titanium

DSCN0592.JPG
DSCN0593.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0593.jpg
    DSCN0593.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 2,012
Great rims! Has anyone tried them with 255/40/20 front and 295/35/20 rear? I wonder if that would fit. If so, it would look great.

And I really don't know about under steer since the traction control is so intrusive. It is just as likely (IMO) that under steer will be about the same even with significant stagger fitment.

UPDATE:
With 255/40/20 tires (28.0" diameter vs 27.7" factory tires), I have discovered I have slight rub in front - only in reverse, when the steering wheel is at a specific angle. Slightly turned and full lock, no rubbing. But at one specific steering angle in the middle, the tires rub. It's very slight and I hardly notice it, but if you don't want to deal with this, run 245/40/20 tires (factory diameter).

Rub.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up changing my rear wheels from 20x9 to 20x10 / 38mm offset and 285/35/20 Pilot Super Sports. No rubbing on inside or outside (tested with tape).
Two reasons: The rears just needed to be wider to properly fill up the wheel wells. And I plan to lower/stiffen my suspension, so I will eventually need the extra rear grip.
Tested this setup on track and am very happy with it.

Rear wheels
Wide2.jpg

Side shot
Wide4.jpg

Best picture to show size of rears
wide1.jpg

With these tires: Max braking Gs: 1.15 / Max lateral Gs: 1.24
Tesla-MaxG.jpg

Full track review coming soon.

Last edited:
Heh, last time I looked there was no PSS in 285/35/20 , so had to put conti's on mine (I specifically asked for PSS but was told they were not available in that size).

Already posted in other thread but here goes:
This is my 20" set Vossen CV4 front 20x9.0 ET35 with 245/40/20, rear 20x10.5 ET42 with 285/35/20 , wheels are 72.5 bore so have to use a 64.1 hub centering ring.
Car also has the adjustable lowering links from iamsohai (no very aggressive setting yet, just half an inch I guess), picture taken in low mode.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385191936.029798.jpg

Heh, last time I looked there was no PSS in 285/35/20 , so had to put conti's on mine (I specifically asked for PSS but was told they were not available in that size).

Already posted in other thread but here goes:
This is my 20" set Vossen CV4 front 20x9.0 ET35 with 245/40/20, rear 20x10.5 ET42 with 285/35/20 , wheels are 72.5 bore so have to use a 64.1 hub centering ring.
Car also has the adjustable lowering links from iamsohai (no very aggressive setting yet, just half an inch I guess), picture taken in low mode.
View attachment 36243

Very very nice

Strange...
I think the issue is none available in the 21" size. A confused tire shop employee could be looking at the stock tire size and just 'autocorrect' when the customer says 20".

Found them here now as well, I'm pretty sure when I ordered this set of wheels back in July they were not available in this size, at least not in my region. Guess they have expanded their tire range by now.
More reason to burn these conti's in 2014 ;) my winter set (19" stock wheels with nokian) will be on in a week...

I'm considering switching to 20" wheels and Pilot Super Sport tires to get better traction. My P85 currently has 21" Continental tires (245/35ZR21, Diameter=27.8").
Option 1: 255/35ZR20 (D=27") all around
Option 2: 255/35ZR20 (D=27") front and 285/30ZR20 (D=26.8") rear
Option 3: 245/35ZR20 (D=26.8") front and 285/30ZR20 (D=26.8") rear
Would the staggered setups (#2 & 3) significantly improve traction over #1? Would #3 introduce too much understeer (40mm diff. between front and rear)? Thanks.

Dreamin, that new setup really looks outstanding. Sounds like it drives great too. Now you are making me jealous with my 21" staggered setup. I don't mind the shorter sidewalls (actually like it) but I like your rims better and the PSSs sound like the best all around tire (I guess PS2s will do quite a bit worse in cold and/or rain but *might* give slightly less rolling resistance at a substantially higher cost). The PS2s were priced high enough that I decided to go with the Hankook V12s for my first set (wanted less costly tires just in case I had any issues with the 245 f, 285 r setup).

Did you notice any difference in energy efficiency vs OE and vs non-staggered? I think my Hankooks are doing worse than my original Conti 21" 245s setup but I am not completely sure because it got colder here in the bay area right about the same time I made the switch.

Ended up changing my rear wheels from 20x9 to 20x10 / 38mm offset and 285/35/20 Pilot Super Sports. No rubbing on inside or outside (tested with tape).
Two reasons: The rears just needed to be wider to properly fill up the wheel wells. And I plan to lower/stiffen my suspension, so I will eventually need the extra rear grip.
Tested this setup on track and am very happy with it.

Rear wheels
View attachment 36234

Side shot
View attachment 36236

Best picture to show size of rears
View attachment 36235

With these tires: Max braking Gs: 1.15 / Max lateral Gs: 1.24
View attachment 36237

Full track review coming soon.

I'm considering switching to 20" wheels and Pilot Super Sport tires to get better traction. My P85 currently has 21" Continental tires (245/35ZR21, Diameter=27.8").
Option 1: 255/35ZR20 (D=27") all around
Option 2: 255/35ZR20 (D=27") front and 285/30ZR20 (D=26.8") rear
Option 3: 245/35ZR20 (D=26.8") front and 285/30ZR20 (D=26.8") rear
Would the staggered setups (#2 & 3) significantly improve traction over #1? Would #3 introduce too much understeer (40mm diff. between front and rear)? Thanks.

I am running the same setup, 255 upfront rubs slightly while reverse but I like the enhance grip and steering feel of the 255s. Also efficiency is roughly 15kwh compared to before.

Dreamin, that looks like Willow Springs. I'm curious what you did about charging out there? I have an M3 track car and I'm a BMW CCA instructor. It would be fun to try the Model S out at the track but I'm not sure about the charging situation.
Good eyes, that is Willow Springs. Charging was not a problem... I topped off in the morning at a Nissan dealer close by the track. And charged again at a local college after leaving the track. (All found via chargepoint website).
There was no need to charge on track as I hit power limiting after 1-3 laps... and I would get off track once Miata's started passing me. :-(

Will post a full write-up as soon as I have a little free time.

Sunrise @ Antelope Valley Nissan
download1.jpg

Good eyes, that is Willow Springs. Charging was not a problem... I topped off in the morning at a Nissan dealer close by the track. And charged again at a local college after leaving the track. (All found via chargepoint website).
There was no need to charge on track as I hit power limiting after 1-3 laps... and I would get off track once Miata's started passing me. :-(

Will post a full write-up as soon as I have a little free time.

Sunrise @ Antelope Valley Nissan
View attachment 37306

I see. That's a bummer about power limiting after 1-3 laps. That's no fun. I guess its still gas powered cars for track work.