TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New 20" wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Dec 27, 2014.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#1 artsci, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    I installed on my car early this week a new set of M580 20" wheels from GetYourWheels. They're powder coated in Brushed Stainless, which is a cross between silver and gunmetal. Eric Molinatti from getyourwheels was an enormous help with the order and my hat's off to him.

The wheels are shod with 245/40R-20 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus XL, which will be the basis for my experiment with sound deadening foam to line the tires. Once I get a enough baseline sound meter readings without the foam, I'll receive another set of the same tires lined with the foam from the manufacturer in Brussels.

I can use the 20" wheels year round but I will put my OEM 21" wheels on the car when the cold weather fades away in the spring.

Here are a few photos of the wheels. I think it's a more aggressive look than the turbine wheels and I'm pleased with their high quality, finish, and appearance.

Thanks Eric!

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

2. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Nice wheels - so they come with stock offsets and will they take Tesla center caps?

O

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Offsets are correct but the center caps are 68mm diameter, much larger than the Tesla center caps. So as might be expected, I'm customizing the center caps with the Telsa logo.

4. jeffmatt

jeffmatt New Member

Great looking wheels. I have been considering the 20s as a good compromise between the 19s and 21s. I worry that the 21s will damage too easily if I hit a pothole. How was your experience dealing with GetYourWheels?

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

GetYourWheels was great to deal with. Eric Molinattti stays in frequent touch about the order and shipping. The service could not be better.

6. bxr140

bxr140 Member

Did you get weight by any chance?

7. sickfox

sickfox Member

very nice set up! :)

8. linkster

linkster Member

Lighted T Man

With those ultra smart 20's, I will be very surprised if you go back to the problem-laden, heavy, low-performance factory 21's. :wink:

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I got similar wheels (M310s) from GetYourWheels in matte black. GetYourWheels and Eric were great to work with...and I have 4,500 miles on the wheels with no issues.

10. hbombdaddy

hbombdaddy Member

looking good

still owe you dinner

let me know when you are in town again

howard in cincinnati

11. mdevp

mdevp Member

Love the wheels and stance! Perfection.

12. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

#12 tomas, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    I'm starting to realize I (with no help from my retailer) made a mistake on my 20" tire spec.

I have 255/40R-20 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires that I use in winter, and plan to leave on in perpetuity once my OEM 21" Contis are worn out. I love the 20s, both in terms of look and performance.

I took little notice of this last winter... but now I have noticed that when I have my winter wheels/tires on, I get slightly fishy mileage and WH/MI numbers...

By my math, diameter for OEM 19s, 21s, my setup, and ArtSci's setup should be:

OEM 19s = 482.6mm + 2(.45x245mm) sidewalls = 482.6mm + 220.5mm = 703.1mm
    OEM 21s = 533mm + 2(.35x245mm) sidewalls = 533mm + 171.5mm = 704.5mm
    my 20s = 508mm + 2(.40x255mm) sidewalls = 508mm + 204mm = 712mm
    ArtSci's 20s = 508mm + 2(.40x245mm) sidewalls = 508 + 196mm = 704mm

Am I doing this right? If so, this means that - because I have 255 vs 245 width - my mileage and speed are 2.2% understated; and my wh/mi is 2.2% overstated. I'm breaking my brain trying to figure out effect on rated range...

In the interest of having mileage, WH/MI, and other stats as close to correct as possible... It sure would be nice to be able to specify more specifics at TPMS reset!!

This probably also explains why I have a slight bit of rubbing in front wheel wells when I do sharp maneuver as well.

Oh well, live and learn! I guess when these wear out I'll get similar all season 245/40R20s

13. bxr140

bxr140 Member

The additional 1.6% rolling dimension is equivalent to a gearing change for highway efficiency...so theoretically you'll get a little better range. Though, the slightly wider tires are slightly less aerodynamically efficient, so that's less range. And then there's the lower vs higher ride height debate. :wink:

In reality, you probably won't notice anything. But let us know if you do. ;)

14. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

It's not clear how the tesla measures or calculates the vehicle speed or distance travelled. There are wheel speed sensors on each wheel in order to have Anti-skid brakes, but is that dedicated to the ABS or do they also use that for the mileage?

Your larger tires travel further per revolution so in a typical car your odo/speedometer would read low by 1.25%.

wheel ref width profile diam. inch circum ft/rev revs/mile delta %
    19 standard 245 45 27.68 7.25 728.6 0 (baseline)
    20 Tomas 255 40 28.03 7.34 719.5 -1.25
    20 Artsci 245 40 27.72 7.26 727.7 -0.13
    21 standard 245 35 27.75 7.27 726.7 -0.26

How does the car know what size wheels/tires are mounted? It knows the motor speed and the gearbox ratio so it could use that to calculate a speed with an assumed wheel/tire size. And it knows the voltage and current being used in the motor so it can calculate the power. Somehow it gets to Wh/mile.

Maybe you can do calibration runs on some flat interstate using a stopwatch--measure 10 mile markers at 60 mph...

15. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

When you reset tpms it asks if you have 19 or 21. I've assumed FW uses that to calibrate.

16. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Member

Artsci,
    That looks awesome. Thinking of doing exactly the same for mine that is due in a week. Two questions:
    1) Can you please give me the specifics on the rims and tires, front vs back offsets, rim sizes, tire sizes, etc.
    2) I noticed you said you have the air suspension always set on low. My Tesla guy that sold me my car recommended staying with the standard suspension and that is what I ordered. I am assuming mine will sit higher than yours and I would need to have it lowered to get the look you have? I know nothing about having it lowered so any advice on where, how much, etc?
    Sorry, kind of a novice here so appreciate any help and advice I can get.
    Thanks!

17. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks Michael J. The wheels are 20x8.5 ET30 Avant Garde M580 in a bespoke stainless steels powder coat finish, available here. Yours will sit higher with the springs so you may want to check this thread regarding lowering springs. Hope this helps.

18. mdevp

mdevp Member

Didn't you get your wheels refinished/painted artsi? Let's see some pics! :smile:

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Yes, all but the 20" have been re-powdercoated, but they go in for work tomorrow. Two were bent and one cracked in a huge pothole and I'm having them refinished as well.

The 19" are now on the car but with all of the salt and other crap on the roads around here they're filthy and unsuitable for photos. But things are looking up weather wise and I should have some photos soon.

All of my wheel sets now have custom 3D center caps with the Tesla logo and I want those in the photos as well. The 20" wheels go back on the car next Wednesday when I have the lowering links installed, lower the car 3/4" and reset the rear alignment. So photos will be posted in about 10 days.

20. mdevp

mdevp Member

Sry to hear that about your wheels, that's got to be painful. I'm sure they'll look great after a good powdercoat though. Can't wait to see the new caps too!