Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2019 s raven Charging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One month old and I can’t supercharge, and the wall charger at home dropped from 48amp max to 24amp Max. Is this what I have to look forward too? Not promising when this kind of problem happens within the first month. :(;)
Most issues show up early or late in a product life.

Sounds like the car may be sensing an issue and reducing charging to be safe. any messages when the supercharger didn’t work?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
What did the car say when it dropped to 24A on 240V? What is it connected to? Have you used that connection to charge an EV previously?

Usually the car drops the charging current because it sees large voltage drops on the line, and is trying to prevent overheating and a fire. If that's what is happening, it'll say something about checking the charging cable. (And you should check the charging cable, and all of the connections back to the breaker if you can.)

Talk to the service center about the unable to charge message - could be anything from an account setup issue to something with the supercharger or something with your car.

Reactions: aerodyne
Definitely car related. Tried the charger at the service center as well. Voltage is stable. Just drops to 24/24 as soon as I plug in. The first month of ownership was 48/48. No error messages when plugged in the Tesla wall charger.

Definitely car related. Tried the charger at the service center as well. Voltage is stable. Just drops to 24/24 as soon as I plug in. The first month of ownership was 48/48. No error messages when plugged in the Tesla wall charger.

24 is such an odd number for it, though. All cars since December 2018 have 16A modules, 3 in parallel to give 48A. You'd think a failed module would give you 32A.

The fact of the issue in the first place is less interesting then the subsequent efforts and statements by the service center after you took it there. Your first post suggests you didnt even talk to tesla yet and are just posting an issue before bothering to get any info.

Can you state exactly what Tesla said the issue might be, what they did, and what they are doing or proposing to do?

Has that been confirmed? I know there was speculation about this when the 72A charger went away, but if the 48 is still two 24A modules like it was before, this would make sense...

I've read folks stating it with confidence here. I haven't taken any action to confirm it, but it makes logistical sense, letting use the same parts everywhere instead of keeping two different lines running.

I’ve noticed here that several folks that have had supercharger failures traced back to the charger. At first glance I think the charger gets ignored as a potential issue as the onboard charger isn’t used during supercharging.

Anyway - charger would be a prime candidate.

In other words a 100k car shouldn’t have these issues this early.
Oh, right, and a 20 story multi-billion dollar cruise ship should be 100% perfect right off the line, because it's even more expensive, right? :rolleyes:
That's not how things work. Haven't you heard of the phrase "shakedown cruise"? There's a reason for that saying. They take new ships on a non-important short cruise around to get it operating and make a checklist of the initial bugs and problems that it came out with and get them fixed, before you put it to real work with real cargo and passengers. Any complex piece of equipment can have problems in its initial build that you wouldn't be able to discover until you start using it a little and try out all the systems. And in the computer chip industry, there is a well known term called the "bathtub curve". It represents the number of part failures over time. The number is high right at the very start, because small borderline defects can get brought out during early stress can cause some part failures. Once those are weeded out, the # of failures goes very low for a long time, until very late in life, they creep back up when the materials are just very old. With cars having so much electronics and circuit boards in them, that phenomenon of the bathtub curve is going to be in the auto industry now too, where there will be some higher number of failures in the first few weeks for all cars as they get used.

Frequently, you won't happen to get the chance to observe this as much with other automakers because of the dealership model. The cars get driven and moved here and there and transported to this or that dealership and test driven, etc. etc. so they find these things and fix them right there in their service department before someone ends up buying the car. With Tesla, it's just more apparent, because it's off the assembly line and into your hands within a few days, so they don't have as much use and testing to bring out the problems before the customer gets it.

My Model S five years ago couldn't auto-present the handles when it was delivered. It turned out to be a broken plastic retaining clip on a wiring harness fastener, so the plug had pulled apart. They replaced that, and then no issues for the next year and a half. This is why I sometimes warn people when they say they are going to pick up their brand new car and immediately depart on a 3,000 mile vacation trip. I would not advise that. Use the car for a few weeks to get any issues to show up, but then, if nothing's wrong, it should be solid.

Bklynpanman, I'm curious to know if there was a power surge event at your house while the car was charging? If you don't have a whole house surge protector, for about $50 you can get one from Home Depot:

Leviton 120-Volt/240-Volt Residential Whole House Surge Protector-R02-51110-SRG - The Home Depot

A lot of people are happy with their Teslas and have not had problems. If this issue is a defect, it's good that it happened while your car is still under full warranty.

I hope they fixed the issue for you! After it's fixed you should suggest ways they can improve their communication. It may be an issue specifically related to your service center. Mine has been excellent.