Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2020 M3 Performance on the way...with open questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The test drive Wednesday was OK, but they could not come up with any 2-motor version. In another thread, I posted some Pre-Purchase questions that many Forum members helped to answer. But after more than a week, Tesla has NOT yet responded, neither corporate via the web site nor the local sales advisor, who punted the questions to the local service center.

8. Is Tesla always so non-responsive or is it because of the Covid-19 crisis?

The car is scheduled to arrive Wednesday. They sent an email saying it would be hands-off, respecting social separation. It will rely on instructional videos and no Tesla person will sit in the car. There will also likely be problems with the bank and insurance companies and we have 1-3" of snow coming tomorrow and bad weather all week. I know those performance tires will be helpless on snow and don't want to get it all wet and dirty before I even get it home.

9. How long is Tesla likely to allow me to delay pick up?

The owner's manual covers how to get into the frunk using a 12V source if the 12V battery is dead. That can be done with no key, so the frunk seems to be insecure.

10. But the owner's manual does not cover how you would you get into the car itself if the 12V battery is dead. Perhaps, once the frunk is open, you could charge up the 12V battery, then enter using a key?

11. Any recommendations for mud flaps will be appreciated.

12. Has anyone tried the following Modern Spare tire kit and had positive results even with the bigger Brembo Performance brakes?

Thanks

8. Tesla can be fairly non responsive, especially to digital communications.

9. In the past (pre covid-19) it fluctuated between 3 days to 7 days depending on location and time of month, with the standard being 3 days. Now, with covid-19 and social distancing, no idea. I wouldnt plan on more than 3 days, and definitely not longer than a week. If you wont be able to take delivery, they normally just unassign your car (vin) and put you back in line, where you wait for another vin.

Its definitely not the same as going to a car dealer and telling them you will pickup 10 days from now because your busy.

10. No idea, and getting into the car with a dead 12v battery is not something I worried about pre-sale or during my current ownership of my model 3 since dec 2018.

11. no idea, I dont have mudflaps but others have bought some

12. I havent, no. I have unfortunately had to use teslas roadside assistance 2 times, due to flat tires from hitting a pothole 2 different times. At least in my case, the roadside assistance was painless enough that I have no desire to carry around a spare.

If the 12 volt battery is flat you can open the frunk by applying 12 volts to two wires hidden behind the front tow hook port. It's in the owners manual. But it doesn't work if the battery is good so security isn't bad.

I have the Modern Spare kit for my Performance. It saved my butt when I blew a tire in the boonies. I did replace the jack with an aluminum one from a Porsche 944, but that's just me, the jack in the kit though heavy works just fine.

11. Any recommendations for mud flaps will be appreciated

I strongly recommend these:

Model 3: 2nd Generation Mud Flaps (4 pcs, no drilling, baking finish)

You can find cheaper ones but these don't require drilling any holes, are a perfect match to the car colour and seem to have a good paint job on them.

I've had them for two months, they really make a difference on reducing the amount of dirt that one can see on the side of the car, which is very relevant if you have a white model 3.

Thanks fo all who replied for your very helpful info and advice! Unfortunately, given the uncertainty caused by the Covid-19 crises and shut-downs here and in Ohio, we have decided to put this new car purchase on hold. :( Meantime, I will keep following this great forum.:)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 31