Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2020 standard range plus or used 2019 long range RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m debating between buying a new 2020 standard range plus model 3 or buying a used 2019 long range RWD with 9k miles (includes autopilot). I test drove the used one this morning, and it felt pretty new.

The used one would be about $1k more than the new one.

My commute is pretty short (20 miles round trip). I feel like I probably don’t need the long range (we have a Lexus SUV that we’d continue using for road trips). But I also feel like it might be nice to have the flexibility that the long range would provide.

I would appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!

If your city/county/state does not offer incentives/rebates for electric cars, then my vote goes to the 2019 LR RWD.

If they do, that's a whole different story. Depending on how much you get back, you might be paying a bigger difference for the used 2019 LR RWD after incentives/rebates for new electric cars.

EDIT: Just realized you are in CA, mobile site doesn't tell your location without clicking on profile. CA has rebates for $2k for electric cars ($4.5k for low income) , plus whatever your city/county offers. That's something to think about too.

If the financial including the rebates is as you said and the LR is in good shape I would go with the LR.
Nothing against SR+ which will be more tan enough for your needs, but you’ll get more car for basically the same price.

Note I have an SR and a minivan, so similar setup as you, even if I don’t need more range or the extra features I’d still go with the LR for the same price

• Helpful
Reactions: vjason
If the used LR is from Tesla and it has the full 4 year & 50,000 mile warranty, then it would be a good choice. With your short commute you may be able to get the full 4 years before you hit mileage limit. The extra range is always good and RWD is just fine for warm climates.

However, either one will be a blast to drive.

Reactions: PJFW8
Based on reading several posts on this forum, I get the impression the SR+ has a serious battery degradation problem. I’d go LR.

The SR+ has the same battery technology as every other Model 3. It just has fewer cells. It will degrade at the same percentage as the Long Range. But because you are starting off with a much smaller starting range, any loss becomes that much more significant.

And for people who drive in very cold weather and/or like to drive much faster than 65 mph, the range will drop significantly from the EPA estimate. So the more buffer you have the better.

The SR+ has the same battery technology as every other Model 3. It just has fewer cells. It will degrade at the same percentage as the Long Range. But because you are starting off with a much smaller starting range, any loss becomes that much more significant.

And for people who drive in very cold weather and/or like to drive much faster than 65 mph, the range will drop significantly from the EPA estimate. So the more buffer you have the better.

Would think so but in all the battery report threads most LR owners report being down to around 302-307 miles after 40+k miles, down from 310. The SR+ owners often report only getting 220-230 after less than 10k miles—down from 250...

My MR, which only has 3500 miles on it, is charging to only 248, down from 264.