Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 M3 still on 2020.35.202.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been one week since I got my 2021 Model 3 SR+ in Montreal, Canada.

I'm wondering why I'm still on 2020.35 while everybody else are having 2020.45 updates available...

Do anybody have clues on how software updates are pushed to cars?

My guess is that 2020.45 are only available for 2020 and older and the updates may not be available on newer 2021 models.

I also believe the answer is : be patient. No one really understands the mechanism that chooses who gets the updates and in what order. I do remember when I got my model 3 last year it felt like it took forever before I got my first update. I am thinking new cars take a while before their VINs are added to the list of cars that should receive updates.

When major changes happen - like, for example, the Heat Pump ... many times, the new vehicles come with a software version just for them. 2020.35.202.1 is one of those ... it was never available on the older cars.
They’ll eventually merge what’s different about the .202 release with the “main” software versions ... just have to be patient. Give it a few weeks.

Same thing happened when the FSD Computer (HW3) first shipped. Those cars were on a unique version of software for a month or so.

You’ll get merged in to the main branch soon - but in the meanwhile, enjoy the new car!!

Just keep it connected to wifi, new cars tend to take 1-3wks to get caught up to the latest. No need to call Tesla or any nonsense, just wait it out.

If it’s been at least 2wks then do a reboot, press and hold both steering wheels until the screen goes black. Again, there is NO way to force an update as the user.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Restarting the system a couple times can help push them through. If you’re near a service center, you can connect to their Tesla Service wifi and it should come down almost instantly. I went at night once and drove around the building and tested the speed on each part to get the fastest speed and stayed there.

I have the same, took delivery of 2021 M3 SR+ on November 15, 2020.
It is currently showing 2020.35.202.1 version and it says it is updated as of current date and recent time.
Maybe thebeezer is right, this only happens to 2021 refreshed version.

The answer was provided by @dmurphy in this thread above, with slightly more detail than "just be patient, it will come eventually" , even though that actually is pretty much all you can do.

The answer was provided by @dmurphy in this thread above, with slightly more detail than "just be patient, it will come eventually" , even though that actually is pretty much all you can do.

Tesla is the only company I'm aware of that doesn't publish when their updates are released and give users an option to update as soon as they are ready. Also, if you get a glitchy "Advanced" update and want to roll back to "Standard", that should be available as soon as you select it, but instead you have to randomly wait for weeks to revert back? It's unprofessional and amateur. Apple lets me know as soon as a new OS version is available. As does Google with Android. Combined with how buggy the software is in general and how poor some of the infotainment/UX decisions are, you can really see the effect of the best software engineers going to FAANG while only the B engineers choose to work at Tesla for 1/3rd the pay and 2x the overtime and stress. It really reflects in the poor quality of the software and UX.

UX gripe I've had for a while: often the car will show Autosteer as available, only to take it away as soon as you press the stalk, resulting in a stress-producing warning chime. This happens ALL THE TIME. How hard would it be to:

1. Start a flashing indicator and a caption indicating that the user has requested autosteer....
2. Try for 5 seconds to engage autosteer.
3. If the system is unable to engage autosteer at 5 seconds, THEN produce the warning chime.

My feeling is this would eliminate 95% of stressful warning chimes and provide an overall smoother, more polished experience. It should take a good engineer 1-2 days to implement, 1 day to QA, then roll out through whatever janky testing rings they have internally.

I've owned my 2020 M3P for a year now and I would not buy another one, just too janky.

Tesla is the only company I'm aware of that doesn't publish when their updates are released and give users an option to update as soon as they are ready. Also, if you get a glitchy "Advanced" update and want to roll back to "Standard", that should be available as soon as you select it, but instead you have to randomly wait for weeks to revert back? It's unprofessional and amateur. Apple lets me know as soon as a new OS version is available. As does Google with Android. Combined with how buggy the software is in general and how poor some of the infotainment/UX decisions are, you can really see the effect of the best software engineers going to FAANG while only the B engineers choose to work at Tesla for 1/3rd the pay and 2x the overtime and stress. It really reflects in the poor quality of the software and UX.

UX gripe I've had for a while: often the car will show Autosteer as available, only to take it away as soon as you press the stalk, resulting in a stress-producing warning chime. This happens ALL THE TIME. How hard would it be to:

1. Start a flashing indicator and a caption indicating that the user has requested autosteer....
3. If the system is unable to engage autosteer at 5 seconds, THEN produce the warning chime.

My feeling is this would eliminate 95% of stressful warning chimes and provide an overall smoother, more polished experience. It should take a good engineer 1-2 days to implement, 1 day to QA, then roll out through whatever janky testing rings they have internally.

I've owned my 2020 M3P for a year now and I would not buy another one, just too janky.

None of those are cars where a bad update can kill you, so thats absolutely apples (and androids) to oranges. No other CAR company gives you updates to main features at all. That would be a more apples to apples comparison. Your statement should be "Tesla is the only CAR company that gives OTA updates to main features at all, but I dont like how they deliver them".

(Gosh I hate doing this but here goes ...)

You realize that a staggered rollout is *exactly* how Microsoft releases Windows updates, right? I use lots of words for Microsoft, but "unprofessional" and "amateur" aren't among them.

As for the Autosteer being available - that's based on whether it can "lock on" to the lanes and road conditions. Those change much more rapidly than the system you're asking.