Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 M3P - Coolant low warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I collected my M3P on Monday and today I got in the car to see a "coolant low - contact tesla services" warning. There is also what looks like a leak under the car. I tried to contact the services by phone but was put on hold for over an hour so I've assumed they are not working today or the next few days.

I can report this in the app however the only options I get is to go to a service centre 80 miles away on new years eve. I assume if there is a leak I shouldn't drive the car at all so does anyone know what I should do in this situation?

I am in the UK.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have moved it to a new spot on my drive way to see if the "leak" appears again. I am parked facing down on a hill and it's quite cold at the moment so it could potentially be a sensor issue.

Apart from that I'm not touching it until I get an answer from Tesla. I will try again over the next few days and will see what happens.

Use the app and submit a request for roadside assistance. In the description, ask if it’s safe to drive the car. Make sure you quote the error verbatim. If it’s not safe, they will send you a tow truck.

If the coolant is leaking the fluid will be blue. My brand new M3 leaked coolant on day 3 of ownership. As I live far from a service center, they first sent a mobile tech to check it out, which wasted time. It got bad enough that when driving the car limited speed/power to protect the battery. They eventually towed my car to the nearest service center (3 hours away) to fix it. My leak was due to a faulty superbottle which they replaced. If it is a coolant leak, demand a tow, don't drive it there because who knows if the car will make it that far.

Reactions: Phlier
Just checked the car again and it is definitely leaking coolant now. I wiped it and it's blue and leaking all over my driveway. I've reported it for a service on the app but due to the time of year I'm not sure when someone will look at it.

Is it better for me to call roadside assistance or wait?

Call roadside as that might expedite things. It's what I did. Unless you absolutely had to, I also wouldn't drive the car because you will eventually get to the point where the car will limit power/won't let you drive if it gets low enough.

Having a major system problem early on is a big disappointment. But they prioritized my repair and did it quickly (3-5 days due to waiting for part). Since that initial repair, I haven't had a problem since. Still love the car and still recommend it to others. Good luck.

Update:

Tesla roadside assistance picked my car up this morning after calling them last night and had it in the service centre workshop a couple of hours later. They have confirmed it was leaking and have told me they will have it fixed next week as they need to order in a part. They have also told me they will deliver it back to my House as the centre is over 2 hours away.

So it's all getting sorted!

ALL vehicles with coolant will need topping off when new, since there will always be air in the system. I checked the 2021 M3 LR with less than 10 miles on the clock, and level was slightly below MIN, so I topped it off with Honda pre-mixed 50/50 coolant, since Tesla coolant is also blue. Having said that, I could NOT engage the clips in the front of the cover (the ones next to the frunk gasket). The plastic is so flimsy that you push the whole thing down, and the clips only partially engage, popping out when pressure is released. So left it alone, since the side ones and upper ones did engage, but wasn't thrilled about that. Ha ha. Oh, and there was one plug missing, so next time I remove the cover, will relocate one of the few that don't engage.