Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model 3 and iPhone 12 pro max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW - Can confirm that my 12 Pro Max with the spigen case fits physically but will not charge in the add in Tesla wireless charging pad on my 2020 M3. Naked, the phone does charge. Bummed, but not surprised. Have a magesafe charger that I may attempt to stick down using double sided tape. Not elegant, but will work until a more viable solution appears. In the grand scheme of things a very minor 1st world annnoyance....

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
So you’re saying there is no way to do a wired charge in the new model? That is a serious design flaw surely?
From what I’ve seen from looking at the parts catalog, and videos, there are no holes for wires to reach the phone charging area. The felt area where you place phones is part of the console that fits on top of the induction pad fitted underneath. So, to charge a phone with a wire you would have to run a USB cable out of the cubbyhole and leave it open/ajar.

Some YouTube videos are reporting that if you put the phone landscape it fits and charges. Can anyone confirm please?
Are you talking about on the new (2021) Model 3? There’s no physical way to put the phone in landscape, as there is a dividing bar between the two charging sections.

With aftermarket charging pads like Nomad, Jeda, etc you can charge phones in landscape orientation.

From what I’ve seen from looking at the parts catalog, and videos, there are no holes for wires to reach the phone charging area. The felt area where you place phones is part of the console that fits on top of the induction pad fitted underneath. So, to charge a phone with a wire you would have to run a USB cable out of the cubbyhole and leave it open/ajar.

Are you talking about on the new (2021) Model 3? There’s no physical way to put the phone in landscape, as there is a dividing bar between the two charging sections.

With aftermarket charging pads like Nomad, Jeda, etc you can charge phones in landscape orientation.

Well that’s so annoying :( - looks like I’ve been beaten then. Looks like it’s extremely likely my pro max won’t charge on my 2021 model 3.

disappointed but hey could be worse. I guess I can still charge it via usb cable in the car though?

Well that’s so annoying :( - looks like I’ve been beaten then. Looks like it’s extremely likely my pro max won’t charge on my 2021 model 3.

disappointed but hey could be worse. I guess I can still charge it via usb cable in the car though?
It ought to charge wirelessly in portrait mode. I don't think anyone has got as far as being able to test it yet, but it will fit.

And yes - you'd be able to charge it via a USB cable.

For what it's worth I think it's only the Tesla wireless charger (looks like this, came standard with cars post-June 2020 and as an optional extra for cars before then) that may or may not be having problems with the 12 Pro Max. This is NOT the same thing as what you'll get in the 2021 Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Teza
It ought to charge wirelessly in portrait mode. I don't think anyone has got as far as being able to test it yet, but it will fit.

And yes - you'd be able to charge it via a USB cable.

For what it's worth I think it's only the Tesla wireless charger (looks like this, came standard with cars post-June 2020 and as an optional extra for cars before then) that may or may not be having problems with the 12 Pro Max. This is NOT the same thing as what you'll get in the 2021 Model 3.
Hope your right mate

The iPhone 12 Pro Max does charge in a September 2020 delivered Model 3. However, it does not charge with the two cases that I have, a Nomad rugged and an Invisibleshield Clear case.

More importantly for me, I also have the same issue with my Topfit wireless charger. Although that’s vertically adjustable, it doesn’t appear to adjust enough for my cases but does work naked.

I may try an Apple case, I used to use these all the time but stopped due to the large cut outs on the bottom, but they have gone back to small cut outs on the bottom with better protection.

I can’t say what a refreshed Model 3 is like as that’s got a different console.

I tried an Apple case today and whilst I wasn’t expecting it to work with my Tesla charger, as somebody had reported earlier, it does now work with my Topfit wireless charger.

I started to look at car MagSafe chargers, but there’s not a lot of information about at the moment. It may have been possible to attach one of them to the TopFit mount, either using the ball socket or clipping it onto the mount. I may look at it in future if the wireless charger doesn’t perform or breaks.

Are we saying that the new Model 3 center console charging pad design (along with everything else non-Apple) is already obsolete before it's hardly even been released?

At least with the older center console, the flip-up charging pad/cradle was just an add-on part and could be revised/replaced.

My 12 Max pro charges on the OEM charger on a March 20 M3.
Without the case it charges without a problem, with a case it needs to be snuggled down into to right hand corner of the right hand side and then it is quite happy!

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
I purchased this charger off eBay, item number: 313167263994, it charges the iPhone 12 Pro max in both portrait and landscape and with a case on. and at the time of writing it's only £28.99 Srotek Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 Qi

Hope this helps.

Best not to confuse the thread.

The 2021 Model 3 wireless charging solution is not something designed for owners to replace.

As said previously, the recesses for phones (the microsuede bit) is part of the centre console itself, which is fitted on top of the wireless induction mat underneath - which it itself a separate part.

The good news is that the recesses appear big enough to fit any current phone. The downside is that there is no landscape charging support (due to the dividers) and no wired charging support, as far as I can see. Owners wishing to charge their devices with a wire will need to run a USB cable from one of the ports in the main cubbyhole.

I just got my 12 pro max and without a case in my Model Y there's no issues.... With the cheap clear flexible Spigen case it CAN charge, but it can take a few times to get it to register.... I'm coming from a OnePlus 8 Pro which is comparable in size and that had no issues at all with any case.

Either Apple wifi charging hardware sucks and there's nothing that will fix this and I'll have to remove my case to charge, or Apple will need to do an update.

To anyone that said Tesla should work around Apple, please do not consider this. Apple should do a better job on their hardware / firmware and make their devices more compatible with non-Apple things. As is iPhone owners are hostage to enough OEM only apps and hardware from them.

Reactions: Durzel and Neilio