Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S battery cells & packs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does Tesla define "fully redesigned"? It seems the car, physically from the outside, is identical to the one that preceded it. In every single possible way. I'd be very wary of Tesla's loosey-goosey use of the term "redesigned". It seems marketing and bull***t have coalesced.
New module configuration, much improved thermal management, possibly different cell chemistry. Those would individually qualify as a redesign, yes. It doesn’t have to be a different cell format, or have the car look differently from the outside, for the pack to be “fully redesigned”.

New module configuration, much improved thermal management, possibly different cell chemistry. Those would individually qualify as a redesign, yes. It doesn’t have to be a different cell format, or have the car look differently from the outside, for the pack to be “fully redesigned”.
Like a VW Beetle or Citroën DS, the overall shape is a classic and will remain with minor incremental changes for decades.

I do think the latest refresh should get some better headlights though, since the pre-2016-facelift HIDs beat the pants off the current LED lights in every measurable way except power consumption.

Like a VW Beetle or Citroën DS, the overall shape is a classic and will remain with minor incremental changes for decades.

I do think the latest refresh should get some better headlights though, since the pre-2016-facelift HIDs beat the pants off the current LED lights in every measurable way except power consumption.
Yes, those lights pair well with my nose cone...gonna be a while till I upgrade...

How does Tesla define "fully redesigned"? It seems the car, physically from the outside, is identical to the one that preceded it. In every single possible way. I'd be very wary of Tesla's loosey-goosey use of the term "redesigned". It seems marketing and bull***t have coalesced.
Meh, the drive train, battery, interior, electronics/speakers/infotainment, 12V, suspension and HVAC are all new. I know "fully" could imply "every component" but autocos use the term imprecisely all the time, it's normal.

(But the Tires are the same and there's still four!!!! NOT fully redesigned!!!)

I think a deep breath might be in order here.

Meh, the drive train, battery, interior, electronics/speakers/infotainment, 12V, suspension and HVAC are all new. I know "fully" could imply "every component" but autocos use the term imprecisely all the time, it's normal.

Prolly triggered by the recent price increases....I know I am...

The tires are not the same. They are now 9.5” wide in the front and 10.5” wide in the rear. Much wider.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
@omarsultan can you share estimated charging vs discharging battery capacity figures for your Plaid S? kWh/% = capacity. So for example my 2020 X LR++ is 101 kWh charging capacity and 94 kWh discharge (driving) capacity. 7% drivetrain loss is the difference. I am curious what the capacity is of the new S. Thanks

@omarsultan can you share estimated charging vs discharging battery capacity figures for your Plaid S? kWh/% = capacity. So for example my 2020 X LR++ is 101 kWh charging capacity and 94 kWh discharge (driving) capacity. 7% drivetrain loss is the difference. I am curious what the capacity is of the new S. Thanks
Sorry, missed this--not sure what you are asking for?

Sorry, missed this--not sure what you are asking for?
I am curious if you have data on any long continuous drives (over 100 miles would be best) and recorded the kWh used and rated miles used to compute the discharge capacity (e.g. 40 kWh used / (110 rated miles driven / 400 rated miles at 100% SOC)) or you can use battery% instead of rated miles, though rated miles is more precise. Similarly, if you have charge data from teslafi or just recorded like 45 kWh energy into the pack / 50% battery charged = charging energy capacity. Here is my data from my 2020 X LR++

DateModelMilesWh/mileEnergy (kWh)Rated MilesRated 100% rangeCapacity (kWh)Wh/rated mileMPH AvgTime (hrs)
Discharge11/2/2020X LR++212.835475.429536994.3255683.1
10/31/2020X LR++202.236072.828736993.6254752.7
11/24/2020X LR++65.3947831.212436992.7251461.4
1/5/2021X LR++251.734185.833736693.2255673.8

Energy (kWh)Rated MilesRated 100% rangeCapacity (kWh)
Charge49.15180.85369100.3

Then that is correct. 348 for 21" wheels:
1632187526916.png

(The 396 miles is only for Plaids with 19" wheels.)