Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new 2021 Model S - can you install a ski rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum but have been a tesla x owner since 2016 and a tesla fan for longer. I ordered a new model S earlier this summer but was recently told it may not have mounting points for a roof rack to hold a ski rack, which is important to us. I talked to tesla 2 times asking this question and one person told me yes, it does have a mounting system and the other person said no it doesn't... so i'm unsure.
Does someone who's take delivery of the new model S know if they have the capability to install a ski rack? I'm guessing if it does, it will be like the system on the model 3 where there are no visible mounting brackets but you can still install one.
Thanks for your help! If we can't get a ski rack on, we'll have to go with a different car which would be unfortunate.
Thanks!

You can add any Yakima accessories to the roof rack than you can find in the Tesla accessories web page.

See the Yakima Snow section Web page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can tell you that it definitely does not have a ski rack mount. I was a bit disappointed by this, but because the top is all glass, you can use the newer suction mounted racks that work just as good :) Hope this answer helped!
Thanks, Jeff - I appreciate it! I imagine it's not but do you think it's possible that there's a mounting system that's not visible like on the Model 3 where you pull back the gasket between the glass roof and the side and insert a bracket? Here's a link for the model 3 rack manual showing this:
when i look at a model 3, to me it looks like there's no way you could mount a rack but it looks like you can. Talked to tesla again today - the 3rd call - and this time they said they were pretty sure there's rack capability but they weren't 100% sure. And the rails aren't yet available for purchase
The reference from DerbyDave to the new owners manual mentioning rack capability is encouraging. thanks, Jeff!

Upvote 0
The roof rack is specified in 2021.12.4.2 North America Owner's Manual. Page 207 says Model S equipped with a glass roof can carry up to 165 lbs (75 kg) using a Tesla approved roof rack (see Parts and Accessories on page 204).
DerbyDave - thank you very much! That's encouraging news. I'm hopeful that they'll release a rail system that we could install on a new S soon. Talked to tesla again today and the person said they thought there is rack capability (as your find in the manual would indicate) but the person wasn't sure and they didn't know how to find out for sure.

Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
According to the Car Manual you can fit a Roof Rack.

1627406251242.png

Upvote 0
I’m going to go into my local SC and get a straight answer from my SA, which always seems to keep up to date on the latest releases. I’ll come back with more news on this.
Awesome - thank you so much, Jeff! That's great. I've tried talking to mine and they don't seem to know either way. And, as I mentioned, I've called tesla a couple times too without convincing results. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
Hi guys, just wanted share a little news on this topic. I was at a supercharger the other day that was at the Tesla dealer in salt lake city. On the lot was a Model S Plaid with a roof rack on top so I think, unless this was something super custom, that it is possible to install a ski rack on the new S. The mounting system looks similar to the way it is on the model 3. So good news. Thanks!

Upvote 2