Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mr. X knows.

--
The Model S interior refresh is AWESOME.

You are not going to need to spin the yoke around 4 times to make a u-turn so put that aside as an issue.

I was here years ago when there was all the crying about the Model 3 interior. Ohhhh I need to see the speedometer in front of me.
Ohhhh I can't handle the screen in the middle. Ohhhhh I want buttons instead of a tablet.

You don't need to believe the new design is better.

Just accept it.

Lol, ok chief.

• Funny
Reactions: ladysbff
I think people are looking at this all wrong. It's not very likely that you're going to spin this steering device very far past 90 degrees in either direction. Likely, the amount that the actual wheels steer left or right relative to the rotation of the yoke will change based on speed via software. It might also be a curve vs. linear relationship. Think fly-by-wire, not mechanical.

• Informative
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Undoubtedly.
I mean they already have 3 modes in the 3/Y.

They just need a 4th low speed mode that gradually kicks in say below 25mph and enables full lock on about a 60 degree turn (so hands move from 9/3 to say 11/5 for a right)

The steering modes in the 3 have NOTHING to do with ratio. Only steering assist effort.
You are describing an actively variable ratio setup. Which is quite complex. It has been done and almost universally panned due to lack of consistent response.

• Informative
Reactions: sillydriver
That new steering yoke is not going to work “sensibly” unless it is lock-to-lock, at 90 degree turns of the yoke or maybe 180 degrees (either of which would be scary).

What I am wondering about regarding the steering yoke is what happens if you lose power on the road? Without power steering assist, with a low steering ratio, it may be impossible to turn that yoke and keep from scrambling your eggs on a concrete abutment. The brakes will still work, but having no way to effectively turn the car at highway speed or any speed, may not be much fun. Forget about pulling over to the shoulder. The Tesla geniuses have to have thought about this contingency, right?

Unless the yoke has a typical steering ratio of multiple wheel turns lock-to-lock. In which case, there is an entirely different set of problems.

Maybe it is drive-by-wire, which is even more scary?

** the typical steering ratio is 12:1 to 20:1.

Also noticed the Plaid 1.99 is marked with an asterisk denoting 1 foot roll out. The 3.1 doesn't indicate it uses that measurement, so if this is accurate an apples to apples would be 2.8-2.9 for the base with roll-out.....
Roughly equivalent to a P85DL when new (read: before gimping of 85 kWh packs.)

View attachment 631450 Soo this is interesting.. I almost wonder if it will ship with a round wheel for legal reasons but comes with a removable yoke wheel to put on at your own risk.
Perhaps the wheel is of a modular design, and the half-rectangle yoke can be replaced with a traditional round wheel without removing the airbag to get at the steering shaft nut behind it? Recessed/covered Torx/Hex bolts on the rear of the spokes maybe?

Agreed. 3.7 was fast already. Now 3.1? High end sports car speed.
Fast enough that it wouldn't feel like a downgrade from my current P85DL.

I think people are looking at this all wrong. It's not very likely that you're going to spin this steering device very far past 90 degrees in either direction. Likely, the amount that the actual wheels steer left or right relative to the rotation of the yoke will change based on speed via software. It might also be a curve vs. linear relationship. Think fly-by-wire, not mechanical.
If fly-by-wire, I hope it is decoupled from the MCU and has redundancy!

Also - I hope the center pad of the steering wheel is the horn as in the current S. I'd hate to try to have to find that tiny touch-button that looks like a horn in an emergency.

Bleeding edge tech at higher price, man! The sooner you get over it the better. Hold your money in the stocks while waiting and you might get your next car for free ;)
Wanting one badly and actually buying one are two very different things. No need to tell me to "get over it" as you're assuming I'm going to order one already. I always buy used - let the first owner take the hit in depreciation. I will get a 2021 Plaid in 2024.

Where have you seen that - The data I saw said that the technologies from the Model 3 and Model Y are now in use on the new Model S. Where did you see the use of the 18650s?

Elon said it on the conference call last night. S&X will continue to use 18650s for a few years.

Alex Potter -- Piper Sandler -- Analyst

Great. Thanks. I was wondering, you mentioned how you'd like to increase your purchases of cells from suppliers. Does this require them to also have the capability to build structural 4680 cells of the sort that you're putting in these newer iterations of vehicles?

Elon Musk -- Founder and Chief Executive Officer

No, it does not. Although, we are talking with them about making the 4680 form factor, but they -- it is not required. For example, the new S currently uses the 18650 form factor. So they're just a more advanced cell, and we think we'll continue to use that form factor for at least a few years. But we will, over time, be retiring the form factors and try to move to a consistent form factor.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Screenshot_20210128-110056.jpg

Completely stupid. So if the touchscreen dies. You cant move the car. And we rely on the car to guess. Because autopark works so great! And tesla has such a great history of reliable touchscreens