Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When are the new models available for a test drive?

My advisor said not until sometime in March. Which stinks because if I don’t decide to buy before the end of February, I lose the $2,000 price reduction they offered me. How can I buy a $130,000 car without ever even seeing it, let alone driving it? I guess I can kiss that $2,000 goodbye because I have to see this thing and sit in it before shelling out that kind of money. A $30,000 Nissan perhaps, but not this thing.

Soooooooo....

they're advertising the rear monitor for games. I'm not crazy to think that my toddler (who doesn't play games yet) will be able to stream Youtube while i drive, right? The little guy likes his Paw Patrol and Peppa pig, ya know....
Hopefully that will be possible. Of course the rear display would also allow passengers to turn their own seat heaters on and off.

Reactions: Leodoc
My advisor said not until sometime in March. Which stinks because if I don’t decide to buy before the end of February, I lose the $2,000 price reduction they offered me. How can I buy a $130,000 car without ever even seeing it, let alone driving it? I guess I can kiss that $2,000 goodbye because I have to see this thing and sit in it before shelling out that kind of money. A $30,000 Nissan perhaps, but not this thing.

So keep the order and if you change your mind after a test drive or refuse delivery you're out all of a $100 order deposit.

I've done that with both cars and airplanes. It's worked out well, but probably not for everyone.

Reactions: bhzmark and 46&2
Do you really think it will be worse to drive than the previous gen Performance you ordered originally?

It’s not the drive quality I am concerned with. It is:

Steering wheel dynamics

Look of the completely redesigned interior

Control of forward/reverse

Turn signal/High beams/EVERYTHING that was once controlled tactically is now through automation or capacitive touch. That’s vastly different.

New seat comfort

New Air Conditioning and associated ventless distribution

GUI of the new MCU

The list goes on and on. When a car can hit 60 in under 2 seconds and rides on an air suspension with Active Noise Reduction, the least of my concerns is how it drives.

Reactions: jbcarioca
So keep the order and if you change your mind after a test drive or refuse delivery you're out all of a $100 order deposit.

That’s actually a great idea. My concern, however, was getting black-listed for 12 months by Tesla if I refuse delivery. If I don’t like the new S, my Plan B was to get a new 3 Performance. I suppose I could just order both simultaneously, and bail on the 3P if I end up liking the S.

That’s actually a great idea. My concern, however, was getting black-listed for 12 months by Tesla if I refuse delivery. If I don’t like the new S, my Plan B was to get a new 3 Performance. I suppose I could just order both simultaneously, and bail on the 3P if I end up liking the S.

To my knowledge, the "black list" is only for the exact same configuration of the exact same car. If you say, refuse delivery because you decided you want a 3 instead, that's all kosher.

Reactions: SO16
One benefit no one has mentioned that it looks like the dashboard might be lower and visibility better....
That is a funny misconception that I have heard before about better visibility with a lower dash. If you can see your hood above your dash, like you can in virtually any car including the S and X, then lowering the dash in front of you doesn’t increase visibility at all. It does however create a more spacious feeling interior but not more visibility.

Reactions: 46&2 and KalJoMoS
The difference with the iPhone is that you were still able to get what you ordered and at the price you ordered it. I don't think people would necessarily be complaining if they could still get a new MS for the price they ordered the car for, even if it's a previous generation 2021.

Completely agree, if you have an order in for a Model S and this one comes out, Tesla should honor the price. Tesla will have to lower it back down to 69k again soon anyhow, these are not revolutionary changes.

No way they will be competitive at this price. If, I can’t get one for the price I have in the system, then will cancel and wait it out.

• Disagree
Reactions: jbcarioca
That is a funny misconception that I have heard before about better visibility with a lower dash. If you can see your hood above your dash, like you can in virtually any car including the S and X, then lowering the dash in front of you doesn’t increase visibility at all. It does however create a more spacious feeling interior but not more visibility.
You can see your Model S hood above your dash? Post a pic please.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz