Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s actually a great idea. My concern, however, was getting black-listed for 12 months by Tesla if I refuse delivery. If I don’t like the new S, my Plan B was to get a new 3 Performance. I suppose I could just order both simultaneously, and bail on the 3P if I end up liking the S.

The blacklist was only for returns, which isn't an option anymore. Just convert the order, and then tell them you don't want matched to a VIN until you have test driven one. At that point if you don't like it cancel it.

The decision right now is do you want the $100 back because you know you don't want it, or do you want to move forward with a $2,000 discount. (But you can still delay delivery until you are ready, or cancel you just lose the $100.)

Reactions: bhzmark
You can see your Model S hood above your dash? Post a pic please.
remove the entire dashboard and the view is still the same. If you can see the base of the windshield and hood everything closer is already below your useable field of vision.
42500DD0-17FC-4895-8BFD-C22F873432F6.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the new steering wheel is a stupid impractical idea that will be fine at highway speeds but much less functional at slow maneuvering. That said I really like it and will probably be buying one very soon especially if they honor the pricing on my current reservation. I think it’s about as smart as Falcon Wing Doors, but they were one of my favorite features on our Model X. I am a grown child.

Model 3 and Y Performance come standard with 20" Uberturbine in grey. Sporty! Yet the Model S Plaid comes with those 19" Tempest wheels that looks kind of dull. Wheels are very important for the overall looks so why didn't Tesla give the Plaid some nice base wheels?

Because anyone dropping 120k or 140k on a car who cares about the wheels would either rather have the 21" Arachnids (which look great) or do what I did and get aftermarket forged wheels. I'm glad they kept the cheap (hideous) 19" options instead of adding a few more grand to the price :)

Jinx!
Nice car

Completely agree, if you have an order in for a Model S and this one comes out, Tesla should honor the price. Tesla will have to lower it back down to 69k again soon anyhow, these are not revolutionary changes.
As soon as Tesla knew they were no longer going to be able to fulfil 2021 model custom orders at the old prices, they should have temporarily suspended custom orders. Instead, they continued to "advertise" and accept orders at the lower prices. It's borderline bait and switch. They got people to order new cars at the $70k (LR+) base price and then turned around and said those cars are no longer available but what is available now is $10k ($8k with discount) more.

That’s actually a great idea. My concern, however, was getting black-listed for 12 months by Tesla if I refuse delivery. If I don’t like the new S, my Plan B was to get a new 3 Performance. I suppose I could just order both simultaneously, and bail on the 3P if I end up liking the S.

The black list was only if you took the car and _returned_ it during the 7 day "trial" period (which no longer exists). You can refuse delivery and cancel your order without penalty. You probably lose your order deposit, though.

As soon as Tesla knew they were no longer going to be able to fulfil 2021 model custom orders at the old prices, they should have temporarily suspended custom orders. Instead, they continued to "advertise" and accept orders at the lower prices. It's borderline bait and switch. They got people to order new cars at the $70k (LR+) base price and then turned around and said those cars are no longer available but what is available now is $10k ($8k with discount) more.
It's full bait and switch. You have to remember too... Elon likes his free $100. The easiest money his company earns.

Tesla is going to drive away car enthusiasts with the new refresh design. The refresh looks as if its marketed to the gamer demographic rather than car enthusiasts. The yoke steering column and lack of shifters draws away from the many positive changes such as the tri-motor drivetrain, sound cancelling audio system, and ventilated seats. Ultimately, I think it will push away many buyers to the likes of Lucid, Rivian, MB, Audi, etc. People who buy the S/X tend to care about driving dynamics b/c they intend to DRIVE the car. I wished they had concentrated more on steering input, heat pump, or even a 2 speed transmission.

I was thinking about upgrading my P3D+ to an S, but looking at the new S controls? NO WAY.

First, I am pissed at Tesla for crapping up the Model 3 UI with the recent update that hogs all sorts of screen for white space and puts the speed and other indicators in hard to see smaller locations.

Then the S not only gets rid of PRND and the turn stalk it has an unusable yoke instead of a wheel.

Look, my M3's middle screen has crashed and gone dark enough times - but the car is controllable - the PRND and turn stalks still work. If you have to access PRND through the screen, I would have been in danger several times. Elon has said PRND is on screen.

• Love
Reactions: COS Blue and AMPd
How well does Elon expect this to work in snowy conditions? Make sure you also clean your bumpers! Hope there aren’t any pranksters with post-it notes that cover a sensor.
Fortunately, having a deposit on the plaid+ that ships many months later, I have the luxury of waiting for them to work out the carnage that comes from the original design.

I think it’s about as smart as Falcon Wing Doors, but they were one of my favorite features on our Model X.
Good comparison. I hate my falcon wing doors (on my first and current MX), and would hate this yoke wheel. I already have a Rivian order to replace my MS, and I don't see anything in this refresh to change my mind. I know, weird thing to compare, but it is what it is.

The rear display makes sense for rear controls. That's a nice addition. Otherwise these changes don't really entice me.

Yeah the whole idea that the car will "guess" what gear or direction to shift to seems idiotic. Drivers will have to dig into a menu just to override it each time or when a camera fails. The right repeater camera on my 2021 Model S Performance stopped working after 3 months. The mobile tech said there's a known issue with just the right repeater camera being defective for 2020/21 across all models. The concept will rely too much on other systems working properly.

Yeah the whole idea that the car will "guess" what gear or direction to shift to seems idiotic. Drivers will have to dig into a menu just to override it each time or when a camera fails. The right repeater camera on my 2021 Model S Performance stopped working after 3 months. The mobile tech said there's a known issue with just the right repeater camera being defective for 2020/21 across all models. The concept will rely too much on other systems working properly.
Guess thing is the dumbest idea I’ve heard on this forum. If I park in the driveway to wash the car, my garage door is open and now I get in the car to drive, which way does it go?

Guess thing is the dumbest idea I’ve heard on this forum. If I park in the driveway to wash the car, my garage door is open and now I get in the car to drive, which way does it go?

So you press the button.

The logic I suspect is fairly simple.
Park and Neutral aren't really needed. Hold is effectively Park anyway and it goes into Park when you open the Door.

Default is Drive unless on startup there is an object within say 1m, and nothing in the rearz in which case reverse is selected.

If in Reverse and you come to a full stop, it assumes Drive next, then if another short stop Reverse, Drive etc (carpark, point turn usage). If you are in Drive for a period of time this become the locked mode.

I can imagine if reverse parking into a carspot you might need to press the R button initially, but after that and F/R shifts should be automatic