Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
prices will not even be competitive very soon and will have to lower them any way

You won't be happy to know the demand is spiking ... but pricing may drop, in a year once they move through the backlog of people buying a car that is the quickest accelerating for 1/10th of the money of the next closest

Tesla Model S and Model X sales are spiking, but some buyers are not happy about pricing - Electrek
Sources familiar with Tesla’s sale operations told Electrek that Tesla is now seeing a spike in Model S and Model X sales that hasn’t been seen since the release of the Model S P100D ‘Ludicrous’ four years ago.

Reactions: heems and bhzmark
This is clearly a “bait and switch” tactic in direct violation of the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act.

bait and switch

Tesla should do the right thing here. We can’t be talking about more than $1M in lost revenue by matching the price. And clearly the people who put down a $100 deposit for a rumored refresh are Tesla super-fans. Is that really the audience Tesla wants to fraudulently deceive? Seems ripe for a plaintiffs litigation firm to profit from.

When did doing the right thing become so hard for Tesla?
Sounds like you’ve got a slam dunk case there, boss. Time to lawyer up!

As for the absurd “$1M in lost revenue” SWAG - the price difference between the old performance model and the new Plaid is almost $30,000. Do you think the entirety of Tesla’s order sheet we’re talking about here is ~33 Performance cars? Or ~100 non-performance models?

Come on. If we were actually taking about 100 orders, I might agree with you.

Last edited:
It's good to hear they are refunding the deposit in this case. They refused to refund my deposit when they botched my M3 order - so maybe they're getting tired of being browbeat all the time over these deposits.

I actually agree with you, and am sure plenty of folks were trying to "game" the situation. But Tesla started this nightmarish procession long ago. And Elon does nothing but fuel it all the time. Raise the price by $1000 this week... lower it $2000 next week... FSD is 10K... no it's 8K.

If Tesla itself would stop with the bipolar pricing moves - customers would realize they can't play the games either.

Very true and soon FSD will be monthly. Constant playing the price games.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Imagine that Tesla spent a ton of $ developing all this new technology for their latest offering. Perhaps they are eager to get that investment back, and that is why they have raised pricing.

Tons of posts from owners stating that they wanted to order a new car, but were holding off because they did not want to essentially order a new car that had little differentiation from their old one. Perhaps Tesla is just giving owners what they are asking for.

Perhaps they will lower pricing in the future to increase demand, but currently I believe their order books will be filled to the brim, with demand higher than production capability.

The new (no name for it yet) configuration is highly aspirational, expecially in Plaid and Plaid+ fittment.
Elon considers it to be the finest car in the World (of course he is biased).

This redesign scares me. Rather the new steering "wheel", not really bothered by the rest. I can't fathom what Tesla is thinking. There is a reason the steering wheel is mostly round. In fact, I thought it was required by law. The only way a yolk style steering wheel has any practicality is if it only is quarter turn center to lock. Much like an airplane. Very dangerous to have such fast steering on a non-race car. I absolutely hate it.
Another reason to hate the new steering yoke is the stupid idea of a tiny "button" on the upper right for the horn. In an emergency where I need to honk the horn to alert a nearby driver, I can, in any other car, quickly hit the center of the steering wheel with the heel of either hand. With Tesla's stupid new design, I would have to find the position of the small stenciled horn icon - only with the right hand because the left is blocked by the large center pad - and manage to press it hard enough to activate.

Steering wheel is the future, absolutely brilliant!

At low speed each radial movement is amplified so you are never rotating the wheel around. At higher speed, it works more like current wheels do. If you don't "get it", you soon will, literally and figuratively. :) Tesla just leaped the steering control into the future, it's what they do.

RT
And in an emergency evasion situation, of course every driver will be able to delicately modulate steering effort according to vehicle speed. /s :(

I took delivery on 12/17. Performance model. I knew this refresh was a possibility and obviously I don't know what future software will be released that only works on this new model, I am really happy I pulled the trigger. I would have not paid for the Plaid, so I would have missed out on my Performance (which is totally frivolous but I love it regardless). Not a fan of the steering wheel and really don't care about any of the other changes---except maybe the door pockets and chrome delete.
Wait until one of the new ones gets wrecked and salvage the door panels with pockets for your car?

Yeah the whole idea that the car will "guess" what gear or direction to shift to seems idiotic. Drivers will have to dig into a menu just to override it each time or when a camera fails. The right repeater camera on my 2021 Model S Performance stopped working after 3 months. The mobile tech said there's a known issue with just the right repeater camera being defective for 2020/21 across all models. The concept will rely too much on other systems working properly.
What the hell is a repeater camera and what does it repeat?