Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And since people can cancel their order, every time there is a “perceived” upgrade coming, people will place a bunch of orders to only cancel them later. Yeah, not sustainable. I’d rather Tesla be streamline enough to try to keep prices down rather than the bloat of other manufacturers building extra that can be sold to dealers.

It's easily sustainable if going forward, Tesla initiates a proper order cut-off date when a product is being discontinued instead of continuing to take orders for those lower priced products that they won't honor. If they aren't willing to have a proper order cut-off date then they need to be willing to at least honor the order prices. It's their choice; and they've already been doing it for things like FSD. When people ordered FSD at $8k and the price was raised to $10k, they still honored the $8k price.

Tesla was still selling pre-update models through early January. I was asked to consider in-stock cars several times before I decided to go ahead with the upgrade. So does discontinued mean "ceased to produce" or "ceased to sell"? If the former, then every car maker would be in the same position, since they cease production long before they cease to sell from inventory.
Other automakers would have proper order cut-off dates and would not continue to accept orders after production for a particular model/version had ended, at least not if they weren’t willing to honor the order price.

I think if the process for the buyer in question had gotten past the "here is your VIN" stage, an argument might be made that this constituted a more specific commitment on Tesla's part.
The statement you had highlighted in red specifically said "after the time you place your order" not after the time you received your VIN. Clicking the "place order" button means you placed your order.

Interesting video about driving 20k+ miles with a topless steering wheel. Gives me hope. In the rest of the video all the FSD fails on narrow and winding roads were worse than I would have guessed (my MS predates FSD).

If you are referring to the 3rd video I was talking about, that video is almost a year old. Quite a few AP changes since then and before FSD beta. I stopped watching it when he started talking about AP.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Been wondering that myself, but I assume it remains unchanged, so nothing noteworthy to mention on the site.

B2F5EBE3-1648-45E9-A3CF-40BA8C3C8062.jpeg

The “no actual benefit” is solely opinion. The 3rd video in post 572 above seems to disagree with your statement.

Like many things in life, to each their own. Cant please everyone. Hopefully Tesla will provide the round wheel as an option. Based on photos provided by others, I am leaning towards yes....they will.
Didn’t watch the video, what benefit does the yoke provide over a round wheel?

Video in post #581 misses at least two other notable exterior design changes. Fixed triangular front side window now replaced with a blank filler, and new rocker panel with the lower chrome strip under the doors removed. That makes just about every one of the exterior changes undesirable - for me, at least.

A friend commented “The refresh makes the Model S look much more generic, more like a Honda Accord”.

Reactions: RobStark and ks1972
~2 years ago the base price for 100D was $87K (after including $7500 tax credit!). So at $80K base today you get 80+ miles of range and many other hardware advancements. I think Tesla will price competitively, but don’t expect any big drops on their updated premium model.
Didn’t they drop the price of MY by a few thousand just few months after starting deliveries ? It’s not like they were having any trouble selling those. So, I would just wait a few months for Elon to get sober

I don't think Boeings every did anything like this:

Designing out human decision making is an inherently bad idea.
That was indeed bad, done before production and changed to prevent low speed, low altitude stalls. Human decision making in the cockpit engenders nearly all accidents, as any observer of accident reports knows. The same goes for road vehicle accidents. Correctly, the world reacts with horror when the design creates the failure. Much less so when the human failed. However, public tolerance for vehicular accidental death seems to be declining globally. Just as the twin B747 collision on the ground in Tenerife caused major changes in oral communications.

The problem is not more technology. It is new technology not properly integrated. In the air, at sea and on the ground that seems to always be true.

Tesla thus far seems to have avoided fatal maldesign.

Visibility doesn’t change, in every single car I’ve driven I sit where I can see the hood
If the steering wheel is in your way then sit higher.

the round steering wheel affects air flow? Uhhh ok not true, so basically absolutely no benefit.

Well for him he says it did. And until I try it for myself, I’m not going to judge.

And visibility is a combination of hood AND dash.

Last edited:
Yup. Tesla has pushed Model S specs firmly into the race car category and above. I'm sure they'll have enhanced Chill mode and stuff to keep things under control.

For anyone that follows touring car racing: BMW M's vs DTM

- M's come with a wheel. Fast grocery-getter that you see everywhere.
- DTM comes with a yoke, because its a highly-modified legit racing car.

With the base MS you can go shopping with the fam, stop for lunch, drive to the track or strip, race, and drive back home. :cool:

BMW_M4-DTM.jpg

Word. I actually think Tesla’s gonna be a trendsetter with the yoke.

As in, within 2-3 years, you’ll start seeing them everywhere.

It’s kinda like Apple with the iPad... ridiculed at launch, but now everyone’s got one.

Other automakers would have proper order cut-off dates and would not continue to accept orders after production for a particular model/version had ended, at least not if they weren’t willing to honor the order price.

What other automakers do or do not do is not binding. The contract is between the buyer and Tesla, not the buyer and other automakers.
I'll admit that I placed my order before Model S production was shut down for the break. Mine is the only case in which I have the specific timeline. What was your order date?