Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting you mention that, since I fly 737's, including the Max.

It's just a little bit more complicated. But still, a few relevant points:

1) Automation overriding human input (i.e., the Software Engineers Know Best mentality);
2) Poorly trained and lightly experienced pilots; and
3) Faulty system design relying on only one channel (air data source).

Throw poor maintenance into the mix, the stage was set.

Essentially, there was a very deeply seeded booby trap, and it took a couple of real boobies to find it. Absolutely shocking that they were even in that area of the performance envelope in VMC conditions.

Come to think of it, Tesla's FSD has already handed out at least one Darwin Award:

Apple engineer killed in 2018 Tesla crash had complained about Autopilot
Pilots seem to be disproportionately represented on this board! Seems lots of you like your Teslas on the ground. :)

Interesting you mention that, since I fly 737's, including the Max.

It's just a little bit more complicated. But still, a few relevant points:

1) Automation overriding human input (i.e., the Software Engineers Know Best mentality);
2) Poorly trained and lightly experienced pilots; and
3) Faulty system design relying on only one channel (air data source).

Throw poor maintenance into the mix, the stage was set.

Essentially, there was a very deeply seeded booby trap, and it took a couple of real boobies to find it. Absolutely shocking that they were even in that area of the performance envelope in VMC conditions.

Come to think of it, Tesla's FSD has already handed out at least one Darwin Award:

Apple engineer killed in 2018 Tesla crash had complained about Autopilot
It remains true that any system has points of failure. After all failures do happen and will happen. Poor driver (pilot) training is almost always a part of the mix, but the fewer failures that happen the less likely training will end out mitigating them. We have numerous aviation cases in which superb pilot skills overcame design or mechanical flaws. In automobiles the general tendency is just as it is with aircraft. In normal use who would not want anti-skid brakes, traction control etc. Still, always, the root of many serious problems is design without regard to normal use. That is the case with software, operating system of any kind, safety procedures and so on.

In our specific case I'll argue there is no inherent advantage of steering wheels vs yokes vs joysticks. FWIW, I've flown aircraft with all three but hated the steering wheel, admittedly the one I used was not actually a fully closed one.
5fc42d9a0927fa0a7a02160c93271465.jpg

Luckily for me it was only to get a type rating.

This subject must somehow be related to the Model S...

Video in post #581 misses at least two other notable exterior design changes. Fixed triangular front side window now replaced with a blank filler, and new rocker panel with the lower chrome strip under the doors removed. That makes just about every one of the exterior changes undesirable - for me, at least.

A friend commented “The refresh makes the Model S look much more generic, more like a Honda Accord”.

I think the blank filler for the triangle window is awesome - to me it is a reasonable preparation for putting the e-mirrors in that position!

It’s not the drive quality I am concerned with. It is:

Steering wheel dynamics

Look of the completely redesigned interior

Control of forward/reverse

Turn signal/High beams/EVERYTHING that was once controlled tactically is now through automation or capacitive touch. That’s vastly different.

New seat comfort

New Air Conditioning and associated ventless distribution

GUI of the new MCU

The list goes on and on. When a car can hit 60 in under 2 seconds and rides on an air suspension with Active Noise Reduction, the least of my concerns is how it drives.
That's not test drive material though - it's whether you like or want those features.

Re: Steering - Is the round steering wheel an option, or is Yoke steering the only steering available.

I had this question too, since my reservation details has Yoke Steering on the list of choices, along with Red color, White interior, etc.

I checked with my sales advisor on this.

No, there is no option besides Yoke at this time. She acknowledged that this is the #1 question people have about the refresh. They are offering people test drives of the new steering once they get one in their shop.

Based on history I’d say the prices will either drop quickly within a month of first deliveries, or remain unchanged for at least 2 years.

The current pricing is very similar to the pricing of the 2016 Models.

I’d imagine the pricing of the Long Range, at least, will remain the same for awhile.

At least until sometime in 2022, when the base Lucid Air shows up. It’s priced at $77,400 aka $2.5K under the LR.

That’s not much, but I don’t think Elon will allow himself to be undercut.

Last edited:
I think they absolutely nailed this refresh. Enough cool new bits to attract new customers, and as an upgrade option for older MS owners (or 3 upgraders), but not radical enough to upset newer MS purchasers significantly. As the owner of one of the last "last gen" cars I'm actually delighted with what I have. I prefer the exterior and interior design, and don't need any more performance than 2.3 seconds to 60 (!). I would certainly appreciate features like ANC and ventilated seats, but nowhere near enough to feel I must upgrade.

Re: Steering - Is the round steering wheel an option, or is Yoke steering the only steering available.

I had this question too, since my reservation details has Yoke Steering on the list of choices, along with Red color, White interior, etc. I checked with my sales advisor on this. No, there is no option besides Yoke at this time. She acknowledged that this is the #1 question people have about the refresh. They are offering people test drives of the new steering once they get one in their shop.

The round steering wheel image was found in the Tesla site code implying that they had developed a plan B for NHTSA. :cool:

Tesla-Model-S-round-steering-wheel-01.jpg

Reactions: IchDochNicht