Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll buy it just for the noise cancelling, I won't hear the wind noise or the half shafts rattling!
I was hoping for double paned windows. The noise cancelling will be useless for me because I don't use the sound system except for the occasional phone call. Possibly Tesla was concerned about the extra weight of sound absorbing glass.

Yes, it is "more work." Today, drivers can reach and operate the gearshift control without looking at the stalk. With the new system, you have to wait for the computer to decide something, turn your attention to a screen, read the indicator, notice if that is or is not what you want, and then turn your attention to where the new shift buttons will be to select one, and then press that (if I understand it correctly). That is more mental effort, and more opportunities for errors. From a human factors viewpoint, it seems like a step backwards from the tried and true approach in place today -- and apparently all to save a few bucks on the cost of the stalk assembly on the steering column. Not an advance, in my opinion.

As far as I know we haven’t seen it in action so everybody is speculating at this point, should be clear in a month or so. I’m cautiously optimistic!

Houston here.
when did you originally order?
I put my order for an X in Nov last year and unmatched my vin in Dec to wait for the refreshed X. My account shows Feb 17-Mar 17 before the refresh came out.
My advisor called yesterday to put the request to move to the new car and couldn't say when I will get it.
My account still has old price and pic.

My original order was December 20. I was gambling $100 that there would be a refresh.

A sales advisor called me on Jan 28, the morning after the earnings call. I had already seen all the publicly available information about the refresh and pricing. They gave me the chance to cancel and get my $100 back, or to alter my order. I changed my interior color from cream to white. The advisor is thinking arrival in Texas around March 1 'but it could be earlier'. My online account reflected the configuration changes to the order, and new pricing, about 12 hours after the phone call on Jan 28, and the reservation adjusted to Feb 14 - Mar 14.

Supposedly the people with previous reservations from December and earlier get priority based on when the original order was placed.

Actually the larger the car, the easier to make lower Cd. Just don't forget to multiply it on frontal area afterwards.
Actually I've calculated - model 3 drag area is 0.51 m2, 2020 model S 0.56, 2021 model S is 0.49. it's lower drag than Model 3, wow.

So new model S vs old has a difference of 2kW at 70mph, 4kW at 100mph, 9kW at 150mph. That's like 10% range savings on a drag alone and together with weight savings that has to be higher range than their estimate or it's a 90kwh pack which explains the weight.

Last edited:
My original order was December 20. I was gambling $100 that there would be a refresh.

A sales advisor called me on Jan 28, the morning after the earnings call. I had already seen all the publicly available information about the refresh and pricing. They gave me the chance to cancel and get my $100 back, or to alter my order. I changed my interior color from cream to white. The advisor is thinking arrival in Texas around March 1 'but it could be earlier'. My online account reflected the configuration changes to the order, and new pricing, about 12 hours after the phone call on Jan 28, and the reservation adjusted to Feb 14 - Mar 14.

Supposedly the people with previous reservations from December and earlier get priority based on when the original order was placed.

We placed in January and converted yesterday. Our SA stated that both vehicles would be priority since we had already ordered - even though it was January.

Yeah, sounds legit! o_O

1) You've never even watched any rally car racing and have no idea where they race.
2) You're trying to spread FUD, but you're stupid and wrote something really dumb.

Clip the Hyundai out below and replace with your Tesla because this is how regular people have fun everyday in their cars, right?
- Teslas are know for being great jumpers with awesome suspension that soak up 50+ft launches easily.
- Teslas are at home clawing away on the dirt (fortunately, body panels are disposable and replaced regularly). Asphalt makes Teslas sad.

upload_2021-1-31_17-19-0.png

/sarcasm

Another point I thought might be worth bringing up regarding the wheel vs yoke: You see yokes in some sorts of motorsport but not really others. Closed track stuff like F1 it seems common, but you don't really seem to see it if stuff like rally and autocross, etc. If I am wrong on that please let me know, /sarcasm that closely.

It seems like everyday driving is a bit more like rally driving than F1 (if you are having fun wayway), and I expect rally would have adopted yokes a long time ago if there was some advantage (unless there is some rules precluding it).

Actually I've calculated - model 3 drag area is 0.51 m2, 2020 model S 0.56, 2021 model S is 0.49. it's lower drag than Model 3, wow.

So new model S vs old has a difference of 2kW at 70mph, 4kW at 100mph, 9kW at 150mph. That's like 10% range savings on a drag alone and together with weight savings that has to be higher range than their estimate or it's a 90kwh pack which explains the weight.

I hope you are wrong on the 90kwh - not saying you are wrong just hope they are larger. Needs more range than the 420.

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
Last edited:
Yes, it is "more work." Today, drivers can reach and operate the gearshift control without looking at the stalk. With the new system, you have to wait for the computer to decide something, turn your attention to a screen, read the indicator, notice if that is or is not what you want, and then turn your attention to where the new shift buttons will be to select one, and then press that (if I understand it correctly). That is more mental effort, and more opportunities for errors. From a human factors viewpoint, it seems like a step backwards from the tried and true approach in place today -- and apparently all to save a few bucks on the cost of the stalk assembly on the steering column. Not an advance, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to disable the auto gear selection and you'll be able to control the gears via a smaller touchscreen near the phone chargers (as stated upthread or in another thread).

Yes, I'm getting Multicoat Red again. It's still a fabulous color. I did consider the white and blue alternatives, but I'm a red car guy.
After 8 years of original then new blue, I was really hoping for a new color option. I don’t like dark colors or white, and rest are getting a bit long in the tooth. I wish they would bring back titanium. Or how about brown ;)

It doesn't need to be music, but I don't think noise cancellation works when the speakers aren't in use for something.

But they could be in use for... noise cancellation...

It would be silly for it to suddenly turn off every time you're in between tracks. I'm sure it's enabled regardless of an additional music/media source, just like other noise cancelling headphones/earbuds etc.

A screen for games in the back is totally unnecessary, I'm assuming it'll only play games from the Tesla arcade.
If there is kids in the back then they'll be on their phones, Nintendo Switch, iPad's etc and won't bother with this gimmick.
Instead of a rear screen how about that part of the accounting budget go towards 360 parking cameras......and stalks.

It is.
The arrival of a real competitor (the Lucid Air) has benefited us all.
Before the refresh I was 50/50 on Tesla/Lucid, but I think the refresh has tilted it back to Tesla.
At a certain level, I view Aero design as black magic, but I am also skeptical of results because I know they can be gamed and they vary by wind tunnel.

This Model S result is different because it comes from the same company, I trust Tesla, and we have the previous gen Model S for comparison. What in the world could account for a 10% improvement between the models ? The crease in the front bumper ?

I'm not implying skepticism here, but explaining why I think the progress is amazing. Perhaps 2021 will be the start of the era where questions are passed to the AI in charge.

Last edited:
Pilots seem to be disproportionately represented on this board! Seems lots of you like your Teslas on the ground. :)

A year ago Tesla was not even on my radar screen. Being open-minded (on occasion) I started looking into it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of the Fan Boys or Green Theocracy people. My angle is the performance. And of course efficiency is its own virtue. And OMG, the Tesla delivers the goods! Ordered a Model S and bought a minor stake of shares with Mad Money.

I guess the brand and technology can draw a broad confluence of interests, no?