Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few new buttons on the steering wheel, I imagine this is one of them.

That's all we need -- primary controls whose location in space is dependent upon the angle of the steering wheel. Today, I can correctly and immediately locate and use my turn signals, wiper controls, cruise control/AP, and shift lever regardless of the position or angle of the steering wheel. What in HELL is the possible advantage of making all those functions moving targets that are more difficult to locate and operate?
Looks like change for change sake, not for any good reason i can fathom.

I like the new steering controller and yeah like others I'm sure Tesla has worked out how to make the steering control responsive with that shape, probably variable feedback based on speed as others have guessed. I also like that the controller allows more visibility of the driver-side display. This is the same control shape we've seen in the Roadster 2.0 and the Cybertruck. I think of Teslas as road-going spaceships anyway so the steering control fits the part.

The new horizontal center display makes sense. Will be handy for both driver and passenger, and it's a far better format for watching media such as movies/shows during in-vehicle downtime/charging.

I think they could have cleaned up the rear more where that chrome horizontal piece sliced into the rear tail lights (now black), but I like that they kept the body lines clean. I like the darker wood touches but I think this would look better with an all-black interior. I hope black and white is just one option.

As always, I don't like the black handles on non-black cars. Go body color! Chrome>black on the handles for non-black vehicles, imho, but body color is the best look.

Specs look good. Monster power. Not sure how much utility will be gained from the rear passenger screen. Perhaps throw emissions testing on it and let the kids go wild farting at everyone using the outside speaker, lol!

Last edited:
Steering wheel is the future, absolutely brilliant!

At low speed each radial movement is amplified so you are never rotating the wheel around. At higher speed, it works more like current wheels do. If you don't "get it", you soon will, literally and figuratively. :) Tesla just leaped the steering control into the future, it's what they do.

RT
I hope you're right, but that's not how the CT demo behaved. Driver turned it greater than 360°.

The new horizontal center display makes sense. This will allow more room for FSD visualization on one side, though it puts the right-side view farther away from driver. Hopefully there's some ability to configure where one wants the FSD display, if at all.

FSD visualizations will be on the IC in front of the driver, not on the main center display. (Just like now on the S&X.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Spacep0d
That's all we need -- primary controls whose location in space is dependent upon the angle of the steering wheel. Today, I can correctly and immediately locate and use my turn signals, wiper controls, cruise control/AP, and shift lever regardless of the position or angle of the steering wheel. What in HELL is the possible advantage of making all those functions moving targets that are more difficult to locate and operate?
Looks like change for change sake, not for any good reason i can fathom.

Yeah, they should have done at least the same as Citroen C5 (note, I have driven this as a daily driver, and such a steering wheel is utter garbage, it is always in your hands way in the wrong way in the wrong place):

d8XcnQtMWU7A8Nfdc_xIdQ.jpg

I guess I'm in the minority here - I want this new S so badly!! I love it!! Nobody seems to be talking about the new powertrain, new battery, updated motors etc.

Most folks seem fixated on the yoke steering wheel and removal of stalks.

Bleeding edge tech at higher price, man! The sooner you get over it the better. Hold your money in the stocks while waiting and you might get your next car for free ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: SilverGS
Sorry to be negative but just curious, is anyone upset about the interior? By interior I mean the interior looks like the model 3 and y with the exception of the driver IC and the back screen? I have a model 3 and the interior feels really cheap... especially the steering wheel. That steering wheel looks like the same scroll wheels as the 3, which I think is cheap too. I hope they aren’t using the same interior parts as the 3 or Y (although doubtful as they look the same)

Not trying to troll but curious if people have the same concerns as me.

Reactions: COS Blue