Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered several Corvettes in the past and in between the time I ordered and the time it was delivered Chevrolet raised the prices a few times. However, they ALWAYS honored the price they quoted me.

And how many of those times was the model you ordered discontinued and replaced by a totally redesigned one before you received it?

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Are we all gonna ignore the fact that new “long range” model now has the same 0-60 time of 3.1 as a performance model 3?... so now the non performance car is in what I would consider performance specs

And 0.1 seconds faster than the P85D was when it first came out before their software update in early 2015 lowered that to 3.1.

Not only that but their sales rep also claimed that if you order before the alleged refresh they'd honor the price. Anything for a commission or what?
I wonder how many more times we have to go around on stuff like this before people realize sales reps know NOTHING about future plans. It’s astonishing how many people just accept as true the random ramblings and speculation of low-level employees.

Read the sales agreement. That’s all that matters. Not what Todd the sales guy said. The idea that Tesla was going to bend over and eat $10-30k on each order because they “owed” it to you in exchange for your $100 order fee was always absurd.

Not only that but their sales rep also claimed that if you order before the alleged refresh they'd honor the price. Anything for a commission or what?

Well, all this was spelled out in the agreement as noted in earlier posts. Just because other car companies do something one way, doesn’t mean Tesla has to follow suit. For most things, I’m glad this is the case.

Maybe once Tesla is producing millions of vehicles like the other companies are, they can accommodate this “issue”. I think they only have one line for the Model S/X. Would have been good for them to produce these ordered vehicles ahead of time but it’s possible a large percentage of them would have refused delivery and ordered the upgrade anyway. Chances are, the people still wanting the old version for the old price is a somewhat low percentage. Especially once people start getting the new version and explaining it in detail. I’m looking forward to the videos of new deliveries.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I wonder how many more times we have to go around on stuff like this before people realize sales reps know NOTHING about future plans. It’s astonishing how many people just accept as true the random ramblings and speculation of low-level employees.

Read the sales agreement. That’s all that matters. Not what Todd the sales guy said. The idea that Tesla was going to bend over and eat $10-30k on each order because they “owed” it to you in exchange for your $100 order fee was always absurd.

Agreed. But one thing Tesla needs to reiterate for their employees, don’t “promise” anything. If they don’t “know”, they have to be upfront about that.

This redesign scares me. Rather the new steering "wheel", not really bothered by the rest. I can't fathom what Tesla is thinking. There is a reason the steering wheel is mostly round. In fact, I thought it was required by law.
There is no US law saying steering wheels have to be “mostly round”.

Suggest you wait to do a test drive and try using it before assuming something that looks a bit different is unacceptable.

So you press the button.

The logic I suspect is fairly simple.
Park and Neutral aren't really needed. Hold is effectively Park anyway and it goes into Park when you open the Door.

Default is Drive unless on startup there is an object within say 1m, and nothing in the rearz in which case reverse is selected.

If in Reverse and you come to a full stop, it assumes Drive next, then if another short stop Reverse, Drive etc (carpark, point turn usage). If you are in Drive for a period of time this become the locked mode.

I can imagine if reverse parking into a carspot you might need to press the R button initially, but after that and F/R shifts should be automatic

I guess I just don't want to rely on a computer to make the correct decision for me. I think the example of the drive way and open garage is fitting. Or if you are at a parking area with no curb stops or raised sidewalks. Best case is you have to inconveniently toggle through a computer menu to shift. Worse case is you forget and launch a 1000+ hp / lbs-ft torque car weighing more than 2 tons.

Reactions: pilotSteve
No need to discuss the yoke so much. Just do what I just did. Go out and run some errands. Put your hands at 3 and 9 o’clock and try to keep them in that area(between the four stitch line on my 2020 Model S). Then just play Operation(I’ll wait while you younger folks Google that). Try not to touch the upper and lower round sections of the wheel. Between turn lanes, the grocery store and drive thru dinner I had to let go and switch hands around at least 30 times. Could I get use to it, probably. Should I have to... not so sure. Is it cool looking, certainly. Is there any practical reason other than a somewhat better view of the drivers display screen, can’t think of any. Unless they can solve the variable ratio steer-by-wire that has no one else have tried(I had BMW’s attempt at it, really unsettling) I have a hard time seeing how it will work. Remember we still have unintended acceleration and the brake/accelerator pedals have not radically changed shape. Of course I never thought they could land a rocket so what do I know .

No need to discuss the yoke so much. Just do what I just did. Go out and run some errands. Put your hands at 3 and 9 o’clock and try to keep them in that area(between the four stitch line on my 2020 Model S). Then just play Operation(I’ll wait while you younger folks Google that). Try not to touch the upper and lower round sections of the wheel.

Why would you not touch the lower section of the wheel or leave your hands only at 3 and 9? Seems like anywhere between 3 and 9 is fair game with the proposed design.

I'll give your little experiment ago, using only the bottom half of the wheel. Instinctively I think this is how I tend to drive anyway, but I agree it would be an interesting theory to test.