Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the blank filler for the triangle window is awesome - to me it is a reasonable preparation for putting the e-mirrors in that position!
Same as our Model 3
1DC607AA-E850-4C46-8D8D-137E9EE7D8A4.jpeg
4822D2D4-1FBA-42CE-884D-B981F204BE03.jpeg

That's not test drive material though - it's whether you like or want those features.

No, that’s all test drive stuff. Has nothing to do with one’s desire for certain features.

It’s not the drive quality I am concerned with. It is:

Steering wheel dynamics

Can only be determined while driving to gauge the steering dynamics with the new, presumably adaptive and variable, steering wheel.

Look of the completely redesigned interior

Have to sit inside it to see it. Pics online don’t suffice.

Control of forward/reverse

Driving, of course.

Turn signal/High beams/EVERYTHING that was once controlled tactically is now through automation or capacitive touch. That’s vastly different.

Have to actuate the aforementioned controls first-hand. Thus, test driving.

New seat comfort

Have to actually connect my butt to the seat. Not look at a pic of it online.

New Air Conditioning and associated ventless distribution

Have to feel the airflow and mess with the controls

GUI of the new MCU

Have to use it. Preferably while driving. Is it responsive to touch, is it easily navigable while driving, etc.

The list goes on and on. When a car can hit 60 in under 2 seconds and rides on an air suspension with Active Noise Reduction, the least of my concerns is how it drives.

My guess is it will come to the configurator (for more money?), they're just testing the market and/or it will come when production ramp up.

I think you're right in that they're just testing the market.

Elon likely strongly wants a yoke, but other people at Tesla are likely worried about whether its even legal in various areas so they want a traditional steering wheel.

I personally wouldn't order now as there are supposedly at least 12 features of the new Model S/X that we don't know about it. I think its going to be a week or so until we learn more about it.

I expect that the whether you get a yoke or a steering wheel will depend on country/choice.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The
I think the blank filler for the triangle window is awesome - to me it is a reasonable preparation for putting the e-mirrors in that position!

Its “awesome” until it blocks your view of a child or pedestrian - then it’s not.
You need every bit of visibility around the thick A pillars you can get. This just throws away some for no reason other than cost cutting.

Love the new look. I am willing to give the new steering wheel the benefit of the doubt but will test drive before ordering next year when my current car is paid off. And given Tesla, maybe next year, once Austin is up and running, all of the Model S versions will receive the new battery, just more of them in the Plaid and Plaid+.

That should come with 550 miles of range, or so...
... and maybe earlier than Elon was willing to say. So he said 'years', asked about how long it takes for 4680s to come with Plaid non-+ and LR. They think the cells will be ready to debute in the Y from Berlin this Summer, late Summer, and in the S Plaid+ by the end of the year. So these will work. They can only play the 'production capacity' card and deny 4680 will come in the lesser S models...
Understandable. They need sales now. Can't affor every potential S buyer to wait, if they announced the new cells for late 2021.

What other automakers do or do not do is not binding. The contract is between the buyer and Tesla, not the buyer and other automakers.

I'll admit that I placed my order before Model S production was shut down for the break. Mine is the only case in which I have the specific timeline. What was your order date?
I was responding to your comment that "every car maker would be in the same position." My point was that other car makers wouldn’t put themselves in that “position” because they would have proper order cut-off dates.

I didn't place an order for an MS during this "transition" time. I am simply expressing my disappointment with how Tesla handled this model changeover process and that I don't think it was appropriate or good customer relations. I'm not personally trying to squeeze anything extra out of Tesla here.

Reactions: logan
I’d imagine the pricing of the Long Range, at least, will remain the same for awhile.

At least until sometime in 2022, when the base Lucid Air shows up. It’s priced at $77,400 aka $2.5K under the LR.

That’s not much, but I don’t think Elon will allow himself to be undercut.
He cut the MS price once already in response to Lucid. Immediately after Lucid announced the $69,900 ($77,400 less $7,500 federal tax credit) starting price back in October, Elon further dropped the price of the MS LR+ from $71,990 to $69,420.