Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The round steering wheel image was found in the Tesla site code implying that they had developed a plan B for NHTSA. :cool:

Tesla-Model-S-round-steering-wheel-01.jpg

I think that is Plan A for the European Union.

EU configurator still shows yoke and lists it on the order features list.

It does but it also says US configuration shown which is covering themselves when they probably have to change it. The reason most sites say on this is your not allowed to snag your clothes on the steering wheel which looks like it could be possible on this Yoke design.

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001

However I think if they can get past that piece, they might be fine to have a Yoke in the UK but just my opinion. Though any car that’s done it before has been a track only car.

Anybody else feel the range increase doesn’t add up? The LR is 250 lb lighter with a lower cd of 2.09 vs 2.3. Yet the range only increases by 10 miles. It is either a really conservative estimate for the new version, or a tacit admission that the 402 miles claim for the old version was not achievable?

or.... the new power pack is only 90kWh or so....

Anybody else feel the range increase doesn’t add up? The LR is 250 lb lighter with a lower cd of 2.09 vs 2.3. Yet the range only increases by 10 miles. It is either a really conservative estimate for the new version, or a tacit admission that the 402 miles claim for the old version was not achievable?

The pack could be smaller but to be honest I am expecting them to change the range numbers later, they are all listed as estimated for now. Elon did say there would be more information later regarding S/X didn't he? A good way to generate more articles about the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
The pack could be smaller but to be honest I am expecting them to change the range numbers later, they are all listed as estimated for now. Elon did say there would be more information later regarding S/X didn't he? A good way to generate more articles about the car.
I think that is purely due to lack of going through the official test cycle for LR and Plaid. For Plaid+ the same + uncertainty of 4680 final performance.

Reactions: SmartElectric
My spouse heard "active noise cancellation" and said "order now".
Many moons ago I put active noise cancellation in a King Air I owned that immediately transformed it into a passenger delight, maybe not too easy in that venerable vehicle.
I have lusted after it in cars ever since and am thrilled that Model S now has it. I'll wager it will come to the rest of the line soon. After all one of the eternal irritations of Tesla is road noise, partly happening because noise deadening typically is so very heavy.

I have no idea how much that costs for Tesla, but it may be that one major part of that high end audio system is enabling noise cancellation. Today it is certainly much better, but my old King Air system weighed 200lb, almost for microphones, speakers, amplifiers and processors.

I think that is purely due to lack of going through the official test cycle for LR and Plaid. For Plaid+ the same + uncertainty of 4680 final performance.

Yeah ofc but it also means it isn't final yet, the Tesla employee who leaked stuff on Reddit that was 100% correct both for what happened to Model 3 in Q4 and Model S now in Q1 was claiming it was 100 kWh.

Things may have changed since then but until anything more concrete comes up I'll believe the guy that got everything else right.