Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or you take a look at the visible display and press a button.

Man technology is hard.
So now you must take your hand and eyes off the steering wheel/surroundings and push a button on the screen.
Instead of a simple flick of a finger to put the car in drive or reverse?

Right now I can put the car into drive or reverse with my finger while keeping my hands on the wheel.

Again this was a change for changes sake without much thought given to actual use. It screams Elon Musk childhood ideas, forgetting that this car is mostly driven by older people who aren’t interested in having an F1 racing steering yoke because they’re not 10.

Now, let’s talk about that Model S! I’m ordering my personalized plate today!

View attachment 632903
If I did not already have this: IMG_0391.jpeg

I would order : S PLAID, still showing available.
But, the one I have dates back to my original S and certainly states definitively what it is, to electrical engineers, if nobody else!
Congratulations on both the car and the plate. FWIW: 10K GAUS was on an S located in the same area as mine back then. We were never in the same location at the same time AFAIK. That would have been worth a photo!

So now you must take your hand and eyes off the steering wheel/surroundings and push a button on the screen.

It's amazingly difficult...

How have people been able to cope with looking down at a gear stick and shifting it for all these years.
And wow, those people who also have to operate a clutch pedal, they must be superhuman.

How have people been able to cope with looking down at a gear stick and shifting it for all these years.
And wow, those people who also have to operate a clutch pedal, they must be superhuman.

No, because they did not have to look. They (we, including you, I am sure!) leaned where the clutch was and where the various shift positions were, and rarely if ever had to take our eyes off the road in order to find a gear or to shift.

Colors are killing operational pipeline and resale market dynamics. It's a smart move to severely limit color choice. Still way better than Model T.

Most other manufacturers offer a lot more colors and interior choices. So this comment seems to suggest that Tesla is incapable of being as good at manufacturing as other companies, which I think is insulting to Tesla.
And what do you mean about "resale market dynamics?" having more color choices lowers sales car prices? What?

No, because they did not have to look. They (we, including you, I am sure!) leaned where the clutch was and where the various shift positions were, and rarely if ever had to take our eyes off the road in order to find a gear or to shift.

In my close to 30 years of driving, I can recall at least a couple of instances that I had pull a quick stop and back up to avoid getting involved in an accident. And they were close calls. Had I have to take my eyes off the surrounding, it would have been a totally different story.

Friendly note - if you plan to respond to multiple posts in succession, it is much easier for readers if you use the multi-quote feature. Note the +QUOTE at the bottom of the screen (image attached). Hit that for each post of which you plan to respond, and then you can insert them all into a cohesive reply, responding inline. It makes for a smoother dialogue flow.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.19.14 AM.png

:rolleyes:

F1 invented and introduced paddle shifters decades ago.
Paddle shifters then got adopted by supercars years later.
I remember it was decades later when I bought my first car with paddle shifters. It was a huge upgrade for driving and I couldn't imagine not having them.
Paddle shifters are very common now for good reason.

Right now I can put the car into drive or reverse with my finger while keeping my hands on the wheel.

Again this was a change for changes sake without much thought given to actual use. It screams Elon Musk childhood ideas, forgetting that this car is mostly driven by older people who aren’t interested in having an F1 racing steering yoke because they’re not 10.

In my close to 30 years of driving, I can recall at least a couple of instances that I had pull a quick stop and back up to avoid getting involved in an accident. And they were close calls. Had I have to take my eyes off the surrounding, it would have been a totally different story.

Happens to me in parking lots all the time. A car starts backing up from their spot without seeing me and I have to quickly throw it in reverse and move back a few feet. Sure I could honk but I’d rather be proactive whenever possible and move out of their path.

I’m curious if they’ll implement shifting functionality that can be controlled using the scroll buttons. The front display will show the modes (PDRN) and you scroll through it. If you’re in Park or in Hold mode, up-scroll will be D, down-scroll will be Reverse. That way it’s just one turn of the scroll button. Not something I think I want, but I could see Tesla implementing a shift override using that method when the computer “guesses wrong”.

Friendly note - if you plan to respond to multiple posts in succession, it is much easier for readers if you use the multi-quote feature. Note the +QUOTE at the bottom of the screen (image attached). Hit that for each post of which you plan to respond, and then you can insert them all into a cohesive reply, responding inline. It makes for a smoother dialogue flow.
Thank you. WhiteX just posted a couple pages of quotes, which would have been nice in a single reply. I used to use that feature all the time, but can no longer find it. I had a button that said "insert quotes" or something like that, but no longer. How do we insert multiple quotes?

AMPd is on target.

Nothing against the gray-haired set - as I'm turning into one a bit prematurely.

But I'd guess 80% of S's around Sacramento are driven by folks with an active AARP membership.

They have zero interest in a yoke wheel. As a matter of fact, it would be so unappealing they will return to their Lexus' post haste.

And is it really true Elon is now actively involved in implanting memory chips into primates... so they can play pong ? Who could ever make this *sugar* up ?

Happens to me in parking lots all the time. A car starts backing up from their spot without seeing me and I have to quickly throw it in reverse and move back a few feet. Sure I could honk but I’d rather be proactive whenever possible and move out of their path.
I agree. I've avoided a few fender benders when someone was backing up in a parking lot and not watching, by quickly pulling forward back into my spot. Having direct access to easily shift gears in an intuitive manner is important. I don't think Tesla will "guess" how to avoid those situations.

Thank you. WhiteX just posted a couple pages of quotes, which would have been nice in a single reply. I used to use that feature all the time, but can no longer find it. I had a button that said "insert quotes" or something like that, but no longer. How do we insert multiple quotes?
Once you've used the "+QUOTE button at the bottom right of each post (the one I pasted in my previous post), you should see the "Insert Quotes..." button at the bottom of the reply dialog.

As far as the auto-gear select goes, I think the consensus here is that there are a lot of concerns. Personally, I need to see it in action. For example, I see a parking spot on the other side of the street. I need to turn around and grab it before someone else gets to it first. How quickly can I do a 3-point turn with zero delay, like I do now.

As far as over-riiding and controlling this with an alternative input, how fast can that be? Knowing Tesla, it can be several screen touches to get to the button you want.

I just found out that the buy out from my lease is way way over the value of my car, so I am stuck with my current S for another 10 months. That gives me plenty of time to let other beta test for me.

:rolleyes:

F1 invented and introduced paddle shifters decades ago.
Paddle shifters then got adopted by supercars years later.
I remember it was decades later when I bought my first car with paddle shifters. It was a huge upgrade for driving and I couldn't imagine not having them.
Paddle shifters are very common now for good reason.
Paddle shifters were actually useful, it allowed the driver to keep their hands on the wheel and shift faster. So thanks for proving my point about the useless yoke being useless.

No not difficult but definitely a step backwards.

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
Do you guys think they’ll add an acceleration boost option or restore the “glory of the Ludicrous mode” to the LR? It seems there is quite the gap in price and performance between the LR and Plaid and I would pay for a bit more performance the LR and I’m sure others would too

Reactions: msm859