Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I agree that this was a bait and switch in the clearest definition of the terms. It is perfectly clear, as they took money in exchange for a vehicle they knew, at the time of taking the money, that it would not be available. Just because they offer you a refund does not make it not a bait and switch. It was a lure to pull you in, and it was blatantly obvious.

Second, and more importantly, imagine for a just moment that Tesla approached this differently (ahem, the correct way) and said "Hey, we have your $100, and you can still get you the car you ordered. Or, here is a deal: we give you a $2,000 discount on our refreshed Model S. Yes, it will cost you more, but it is an amazing upgrade." I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that many of the people here who are b**tching about it would take the deal.
I wonder if people like this guy can get a lawyer and sue
Model S Delivery Update

I want more range. 450+. You will only actually get @360 miles and you have to recharge before you get below 50, so that gives you 310 miles. And it will really slow down the charging after you are @70% so that's 50 to @315 or + 265 miles. So you can go 575 miles on a 1 charge trip - of course cold weather - mountainous driving could bring it down to @500 miles. I could live with a 0-60 of "only" 3.1 seconds.

I agree. Im super happy with the refresh, but more range was what I wanted the most.
I dont know how much rangeloss this one will have, but my 75D is rated 380km and I only get about 200-250 8 months per year so Id expect the new LR to get about 300-400kms which just isnt enough considering you really only want to charge to 50% or so at longer trips, means u only get 150-200km range which is only enough to get to the next suc...

Fully agree with you. Dumb that the fanboys won't call BS when they see it, but i guess that's what makes them fanboys.

The unfortunate thing is that we are too small in numbers to make any sort of impact that would reverse Tesla's decision. I love what Tesla is doing in the EV space, but I really can't wait until they have more competition.

If you think this truly is a bait and switch like some of you keep saying, then band together and get a lawyer and sue them. I think you’ll lose the case but I’m no lawyer.

As far as the auto-gear select goes, I think the consensus here is that there are a lot of concerns. Personally, I need to see it in action. .. How quickly can I do a 3-point turn with zero delay, like I do now.

As far as over-riiding and controlling this with an alternative input, how fast can that be? .

The Electrek article suggests touch buttons under the wireless charger.
The renders appear to show an Emergency triangle in that place. So to me that makes sense.
(Albeit we have Elon's tweet saying touch screen)

I'd assume at least a distinct D and R button there - that you will get to know with muscle memory (and at the same reach as on old stick), so easy to activate.

On a 3-point (or 5/7/9) turn I suspect the logic will auto shift between D/R when you come to a stop.
(It won't be as quick as the Model 3 shift where you can switch at under 10kph afaik but I think you'd get used to it).

Otherwise the logic will generally be Drive, apart from on startup where it will select Reverse if an object in front and nothing behind.

If sales dropped 20% in the 4th quarter causing a loss, the 800B company would be less than half that today. The media would have spun that to the fullest. Their typical strongest quarter would have been a loss and the media would spin it as all your pensions lost money in the S&P, etc. It happened before in 2019 when Model S sales dropped heavily after Tesla dropped the low end model, word of a refresh spread on social media and YouTube. Stock dropped in half from Jan 2019 to June. Of course the media didn’t portray it as self inflicted due to model changes. It was spun as NO DEMAND! OMG!

So, what's your excuse as to why they didn't stop promoting and taking orders for the lower priced pre-update MS and MX after December 31st?

If Tesla still can't adequately gauge availability of product by their inventory on hand then an order cut-off date should have been based on when they stopped building the new cars at the factory. At that time, they should have stopped taking custom orders and instead allowed people to place deposits for the upcoming models (similar to what they've done with the Cybertruck) and/or direct people to their online inventory section. Continuing to promote and take custom orders for the lower priced MS and MX for weeks after production had already ended was inappropriate. They could have and should have easily handled this a lot better.

I seriously doubt anybody at Tesla was orchestrating a bait and switch :p you guys really need to get over it, no harm no foul.

I promise you're not persuading anyone from buying a Tesla with the thread drift, it's just noise.

At some point, when they aren't the only kid in town, Tesla will need to up their customer service game. Until then, they sell all the cars they make so no incentive.

That’s entirely possible - but I the meantime the mirrors haven’t gone away and the quarter window is now blocked.

Yeah, that massive triangle window is surely used a lot... :)

3727AB3B-015A-4FAD-A501-83523B998240.jpeg

Exactly ... we'll all be looking at our phones anyway :rolleyes:

Seriously, not one time have I looked out of that small window and the area is too busy for any peripheral registration.

that was really why I posted a pic. It’s like 1% of total relevant window area and I see the stalk holding the side mirror in half of that area. It’s too small to have any actual real world usage and might as well go away imho.

At some point, when they aren't the only kid in town, Tesla will need to up their customer service game. Until then, they sell all the cars they make so no incentive.
More competition will definitely be good for EV consumers and will hopefully force Tesla to up their customer service and quality game. It needs it right now and people excusing their "inappropriate" business methods doesn't help move them in that direction. I also think some of the money from the notable price reductions last year (e.g., over $10k on base price of MS LR+) would've been better spent improving customer service.

They don't immediate sell all the cars they make, however. In years past, for example, they produced more cars than they sold. Also, they still have new 2020 and 2021 models in inventory right now. They may even have older cars than that. Last June, someone on here purchased a new 2018 MS from Tesla.

So now you must take your hand and eyes off the steering wheel/surroundings and push a button on the screen.
Instead of a simple flick of a finger to put the car in drive or reverse?

Right now I can put the car into drive or reverse with my finger while keeping my hands on the wheel.

Again this was a change for changes sake without much thought given to actual use. It screams Elon Musk childhood ideas, forgetting that this car is mostly driven by older people who aren’t interested in having an F1 racing steering yoke because they’re not 10.
This sounds just like the gnashing of teeth that people had when they saw the Model 3 with it's single screen for the first time.

I want more range. 450+. You will only actually get @360 miles and you have to recharge before you get below 50, so that gives you 310 miles. And it will really slow down the charging after you are @70% so that's 50 to @315 or + 265 miles. So you can go 575 miles on a 1 charge trip - of course cold weather - mountainous driving could bring it down to @500 miles. I could live with a 0-60 of "only" 3.1 seconds.
After driving for over 300 miles, I can certainly take a nice break. Stretch my legs and have a meal. At a minimum, 30 minutes. In that time, I would expect to be well above 80% SOC. That should give me plenty to make another log leg. Regardless, if I can drive 575-600 miles in a single day, I am pretty much done. I do much more in my younger years, but no longer.

I seriously doubt anybody at Tesla was orchestrating a bait and switch :p you guys really need to get over it, no harm no foul.
I agree in that this was not orchestrated. My point is merely that it can easily interpreted as such, and if somebody really wanted to waste their time and money on fighting them, they could be successful, though really stupid if they try. I really think this is just a matter of poor customer service and neglect, or simply no one at Tesla really cares about the ramification. "Just give back the money or offer them a discount." Hey, good enough for me! I would happily take the $2,000 discount and consider it good fortune. To those who want their refund and get a different car, so be it. They can be pissy about it, but those are too small of a number of people to make a difference. The only harm would be if Tesla kept the money, which they did not. $100, refunded, on an $80,000 car is something that would be laughed out of court.

After driving for over 300 miles, I can certainly take a nice break. Stretch my legs and have a meal. At a minimum, 30 minutes. In that time, I would expect to be well above 80% SOC. That should give me plenty to make another log leg. Regardless, if I can drive 575-600 miles in a single day, I am pretty much done. I do much more in my younger years, but no longer.

I agree in that this was not orchestrated. My point is merely that it can easily interpreted as such, and if somebody really wanted to waste their time and money on fighting them, they could be successful, though really stupid if they try. I really think this is just a matter of poor customer service and neglect, or simply no one at Tesla really cares about the ramification. "Just give back the money or offer them a discount." Hey, good enough for me! I would happily take the $2,000 discount and consider it good fortune. To those who want their refund and get a different car, so be it. They can be pissy about it, but those are too small of a number of people to make a difference. The only harm would be if Tesla kept the money, which they did not. $100, refunded, on an $80,000 car is something that would be laughed out of court.
Everything in the Tesla infrastructure is an afterthought if it doesn't contribute to immediate sales.

In other words, Tesla doesn't have the game to orchestrate some kind of bait-and-switch campaign. The hand doesn't know what the elbow is doing... what the shoulder is doing etc etc

It's pretty remarkable that an organization the size of Tesla is run this way. They got away with it when there were a few thousand cars coming off the line each month. But now they can't keep up with their whack-a-mole nightmare.

I'm sure this Model S snafu will quickly blow over. But in the best Tesla fashion the next one is just around the corner.