Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would that offer a suitable simulation?
Most likely no.

The new steering might go 90 degrees to the left and to the right, from full lock to full lock. Maybe a bit more. To be convenient, we expect it to be variable, somehow, and adjusting for speed.

So a normal wheel will have to be turned much further, and you are MORE likely to move your hands. Your suggestion might work at highway speed, where you never turn 90 degrees. It will not work for parking, as the steering action will be quite different.

Most likely no.

The new steering might go 90 degrees to the left and to the right, from full lock to full lock. Maybe a bit more. To be convenient, we expect it to be variable, somehow, and adjusting for speed.

So a normal wheel will have to be turned much further, and you are MORE likely to move your hands. Your suggestion might work at highway speed, where you never turn 90 degrees. It will not work for parking, as the steering action will be quite different.
This makes perfect sense. Thank you for this explanation.

• Love
Reactions: rickyjb and 46&2
... assuming they can pull this off and it still feels natural, otherwise folks will hate it.

I bet it's going to be normal, just no top part of the wheel. No reason to get crazy.

I'm a bit more curious to see whether it's steer by wire or traditional linkage.
If the above-mentioned theory was actually implemented, it would seem to be "by wire", meaning electronic, allowing for a computer to create an adaptive steering approach. Elon has always tried to "reinvent the wheel". I guess this time he means it.

If the above-mentioned theory was actually implemented, it would seem to be "by wire", meaning electronic, allowing for a computer to create an adaptive steering approach. Elon has always tried to "reinvent the wheel". I guess this time he means it.
This would be a tremendous difficult things to get certified. Mechanical linkages are always available and don’t require any power or computers to operate, even if a bit degraded. Steer by wire would require significant redundancy to achieve similar reliability (redundant motors, dedicated power supplies, etc.) What would the benefit be? I’m not seeing one.

this is nothing but a standard steering wheel with the top cut off.

I see Audi officially introduced the e-tron GT. It has the same price (RS version) range (roughly speaking) and acceleration (3.1s before my Ludicrous upgrade) but less passenger and cargo space and I think no autopilot compared with my six year old P85D, which I have an order to replace with Plaid+, which has about twice the horsepower. But my god the GT is a pretty car. And Audi probably has humans you can call in the service department too... Sigh

Last edited:
I see Audi officially introduced the e-tron GT. It has the same price (RS version) range (roughly speaking) and acceleration (3.1s before my Ludicrous upgrade) but less passenger and cargo space and I think no autopilot compared with my six year old P85D, which I have an order to replace with Plaid+, which has about twice the horsepower. But my god the GT is a pretty car. And Audi probably has humans you can call in the service department too... Sigh
and don’t forget it has lots of buttons :eek::D

Tesla is contacting those who have pre-ordered the “Refreshed” versions of the Model X crossover, communicating that they should prepare for delivery between February 15th and March 15th.

Tesla contacts Model X 'Refresh' orderers with delivery date range

Hopefully that means test drives are also right around the corner.
Awesome that the window is only 4 days away, I'm tired of all the speculation and can't wait to hear some things from people who have actually been in one of the new models!