Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2022 MYP Completely Dead!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it looks like there is a blown Pyro fuse for sure. They are not yet sure how this happened, but this explains why the car shut down so fast. I've only super charged twice, all other charging at home, so I'm pretty sure it's not from that.

I suspect a short somewhere, motor, wiring harness, somewhere else. Hopefully they have a complete picture tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I should be prepared to lemon the car. Not saying that that's even a possibility just yet, but I'd like to be prepared given the experience. I have not reviewed California lemon law requirements in a long time, but I believe "several" attempts to repair the same issue must be made first in order to be eligible. I'm hoping everything will just be repaired and the car will never experience an issue like this again.
Have you opted out of arbitration yet? I think the window to do it is within 30 days of delivery. I’m not sure a lemon law is an option if you have an arbitration agreement in place. They may do it, but I don’t think they’re obligated to do it.

I don't know the CA lemon law, but most lemon laws require repeated problems. It sounds like this was essentially a factory defect. See what they find out.
Most lemon laws actually provide for a few avenues. Generally, it's either for repeated problems OR days out of service within the first year, e.g., 1 month within the first year. I'm guessing Tesla lemons a bunch due to this.

ETA: Just looked up California but they all ready similarly:

What is considered a “reasonable” number of repair attempts depends on many factors. While the following factors are not required, there is a rebuttable presumption that your vehicle is a lemon if:

• The problem first occurred within 18 months of delivery or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first);
  • If required by the warranty or owner’s manual, you notified the manufacturer about the problem; and
  • You have taken the vehicle in for repair by the manufacturer or its agents:
    • Four or more times for the same problem and it still is not fixed, or
    • Two or more times for the same problem, if that problem is big enough to cause death or serious injury, and it still is not fixed, or
    • The vehicle has been out of service for repair for more than 30 days (the 30 days do not need to be in a row).

• Informative
Reactions: sarugby4life
I went down to the SC to grab a loaner vehicle today and the entire staff was so nice! I spoke to my service advisor briefly about my car, and it sounds like the front drive unit needs to be replaced. This along with the 12V battery and pyro fuse. Thankfully, I was told they have a drive unit in stock so if all goes as planned, I should have the car back by the end of the week.

They are still looking into what exactly caused the drive unit to fail. It sounds like they do not take these apart at the SC.

Should we be concerned that they keep the front drive units in stock? 🤔

Glad they’re getting it fixed for you and you’ll get it back soon. I wouldn’t expect them to disassemble the drive unit at the service center - that’s better done by engineering at HQ. Either way it sounds like it was probably just a defective unit.

Picked up the car yesterday and am literally blown away with the service received. Every single staff member was so friendly and patient with my constant questions. I’m extremely OCD with my cars and they took extra care to ensure the PPF was protected etc. They ended up replacing the front drive unit and pyro fuse but said the battery was OK. I spoke to the tech for 20 minutes or so and he too was great. He said this does not happen often and that maybe once every 6 months they’ll see a new car with a bad drive unit. Definitely feels this was a one off and just bad luck.

Picked up the car yesterday and am literally blown away with the service received. Every single staff member was so friendly and patient with my constant questions. I’m extremely OCD with my cars and they took extra care to ensure the PPF was protected etc. They ended up replacing the front drive unit and pyro fuse but said the battery was OK. I spoke to the tech for 20 minutes or so and he too was great. He said this does not happen often and that maybe once every 6 months they’ll see a new car with a bad drive unit. Definitely feels this was a one off and just bad luck.
So happy for you. Now here's to miles of smiles. Cheers.

Awesome to hear! Go enjoy your car!

Reactions: sarugby4life
HI, do you know your car was fixed at the service center or at fremont HQ? and do you able to get some extra warranty or whatever other benefit from tesla regarding this? My car 's front drive unit was dead when my wife drive it with 3 kids, and the car behave total differently after the dead front drive unit. Luckly there is no injury and damage to the car.