Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 M3 SR Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a 2023 M3 standard range, build date 4/23/23 bought 4/25/23, Made in fremont, which ended up being the second car due to first one having trunk misalignment and they said it was "In spec".
Upon delivery, only issue I noticed on the second vehicle was the steering alignment was off, easily felt as a TOE issue. I made a request for service within the 100 mile window..

4/27 I installed a swivel screen mount, everything was operational.
4/28 at around 11pm, the cars software finally updated to most recent version. As far as i can tell, everything was still operational.
4/29 i took car in for steering alignment. (and it is still not right but better than what it was.)
picked up the car at about 3pm, and noticed later in the evening the left headlight would not turn off and turn signal in that light not operating, and eventually the wipers stopped operating as well (stalk or touchscreen) I scheduled service for 5/3.
5/3 mobile tech came out to reinstall firmware and it failed 2x. tried to troubleshoot headlight not powering off, replaced headlight, did a 12v reset 3 times, and discovered the reason why FW wont reinstall is due to CAN communication errors that popped up.
Service scheduled for 5/5.

1. ill update the results here from service
2. has anyone had this issue or see this issue?

tech seems to think it might be wiring, or the front BCM. would the swivel screen installation have anything to do with this? or is the monitor just a receiver unit and has nothing to do with the main computer and BCM communications?

the monitor isnt the CPU though, its just an input device.

It (the monitor) is also how you do things like turn on the headlights, turn on the wipers etc. I am very surprised that the tech would even touch your car with that screen swivel device on there, or touch it without you signing some sort of waiver acknowledging that they noticed the aftermarket part connected to something that was related to what was requesting to be serviced.

If I were you, I would remove that screen swivel device before you take the car to the service center and return it to stock before your service, or you may be in for a rude awakening when they start digging into it (that rude awakening being "we are going to charge you X"). It also is not a magnussen-moss thing (since that is the next thing people will normally start talking about) because a screen swivel mount is not a like for like replacement for an OEM part that does not offer that ability to swivel.

You should avoid all that discussion and remove the screen swivel mount before you take it in, or be prepared for them to charge you.

It (the monitor) is also how you do things like turn on the headlights, turn on the wipers etc. I am very surprised that the tech would even touch your car with that screen swivel device on there, or touch it without you signing some sort of waiver acknowledging that they noticed the aftermarket part connected to something that was related to what was requesting to be serviced.

If I were you, I would remove that screen swivel device before you take the car to the service center and return it to stock before your service, or you may be in for a rude awakening when they start digging into it (that rude awakening being "we are going to charge you X"). It also is not a magnussen-moss thing (since that is the next thing people will normally start talking about) because a screen swivel mount is not a like for like replacement for an OEM part that does not offer that ability to swivel.

You should avoid all that discussion and remove the screen swivel mount before you take it in, or be prepared for them to charge you.
without a doubt ill change it back, already did. not for argument but the monitor, while it "controls" things it is not the cpu processing anything, its just a point of contact between the driver and the cars BCM and other modules. the BCMs execute the simple commands from the touch screen....at least, thats what the tech was telling me. its simply an input device and display. the mobile tech thinks its a can bus issue between the bcm and the faults. again, relaying what i was told.
in this situation, i can still control the headlights on and off, auto, turn signals, brights and everything else, its specificlally the left headlamp and wipers not operating, however the washer fluid is working.
precautionary, i went back to stationary mount.

update" it was a loose wiring harness for the headlight and the wipers at the BCM. it was repaired, however this issue came back again yesterday, or about 10 days after it was fixed the first time.

its also been in the shop 3x for an steering alignment, as it was way off at delivery and will need to back for a 4th redo.

The drivers side headlight also controls the wipers. If the driver's side headlight fails, the wipers will also fail. I know because it has happened to me. I think the CAN bus for the drivers side headlight and the wipers are on the same connection.

for sure they are.
service was great today, they took it right in priority (cars been in service 6 times now....2x at shop for this an a mobile viist, and 3x for an alignment and thats still not even fully taken care of yet.) i usually take the uber credits to get home as i have a 30 year old lexus at home i can use (may as well save the loaners for someone that would deserpately need it), but the service guy was insitent on giving me a loaner model S today because ive been having so much trouble.
now we await the newer diagnosis. its def something with the pin at the harness being the problem, so unsure if its the harness or the BCM causing issues...i personally suspect the harness itself based on the first diag. the mobile guy replaced the headlight and there was no changes, nor would the cars software update at that time either.

UPDATE: apparently the wiring harness is pinched somehow. they ordered the part.

Last edited: