Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 Refresh Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is so much overlap on spec changes that there is little point in discussing discreet "Model Years". For example we had a 2021 Model Year M3 LR (delivered Dec 2020) that had about half of the reported 2021 "Model Year" changes. So there were at least 2 significantly differing 2021 Model Year cars on the road and probably more. Ours was a random mash-up of 2020-2021 spec. I expect something similar will happen again as Tesla certainly don't operate on strict spec timescales. Anything introduced as a "2023 Model Year" will be delivered as and when whatever updates are available and will probably vary from factory to factory. So there will never be a definitive 2023 spec car.
Sorry, just a clarification.

When im saying for example "2022 model" i mean the V20, m
chrome_2dgigAMERr.png

For example we had a 2021 Model Year M3 LR (delivered Dec 2020) that had about half of the reported 2021 "Model Year" changes
You got the heat pump. Right? Only for 2021. And displayed range of 353. You did not get the 82.1kWh battery, but the EPA test for 2021 was done with the 77.8kWh battery. Later buyers of 2021 got the 82.1kWh pack bonus added for “free.” (And a bump to 358 miles of range.) And then finally for 2022 it was retested (actually tested in 2021) with that pack.

Big changes can occur and do occur on Model year transitions. Far more likely than at any other time of year (where smaller changes occur).

While there might be a trend of more significant changes in Q4, those changes do not seem to be strictly correlated with model year changes in the way most people think of it - as in all MY23 cars have <features> while all MY22 cars don’t.

Reactions: DanDi58
You got the heat pump. Right? Only for 2021. And displayed range of 353. You did not get the 82.1kWh battery, but the EPA test for 2021 was done with the 77.8kWh battery. Later buyers of 2021 got the 82.1kWh pack bonus added for “free.” (And a bump to 358 miles of range.) And then finally for 2022 it was retested (actually tested in 2021) with that pack.

Big changes can occur and do occur on Model year transitions. Far more likely than at any other time of year (where smaller changes occur).
Yeah I got the heat pump and several other lesser spec changes. What I didn't get of note was the heated steering wheel, revised interior door trims and probably a few other bits I can't remember. Prior to the 2021 refresh I don't recall much happening in the previous model year. So I don't think it's inevitable that we will see any "big" changes for the 2023 model year - but I haven't been following the rumours. I expect whatever changes are coming up will simply go into production whenever they are available regardless of model year. That's how Tesla historically operated anyway.

Reactions: vlee

So I don't think it's inevitable that we will see any "big" changes for the 2023 model year - but I haven't been following the rumours.
I don’t think so either.

Model years are where big changes can take place. (And as discussed significant changes can take place at other times too. But model years are a time of particular significance to Tesla, since that is the way the industry is set up.)

Reactions: reystar
a refresh only means they are changing certain features like in the past with laminated windows, heated steering wheel etc.... but has no real bearing on which cars get the changes and when, depending on inventory and location. the only yearly update you can rely on is the christmas update for software

Reactions: vlee and Fourdoor
Model years are where big changes can take place. (And as discussed significant changes can take place at other times too. But model years are a time of particular significance to Tesla, since that is the way the industry is set up.)
Why do you say that? Tesla has pretty consistently ignored model years and updated features in its cars whenever they were ready.

Why do you say that? Tesla has pretty consistently ignored model years and updated features in its cars whenever they were ready.
Because that is not historically (meaning, last 2-3 years) how it has worked for Tesla!

If you can’t read what I have posted, providing specific MAJOR examples of this, I don’t know what to tell you. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don’t expect anything big this year though.

Main difference vs. most others is that Tesla also updates during the year.

Last edited:
This is an interesting discussion. And I agree. Most 2022 model Ys, which VINs began delivery in October of last year, have a suite of "new features" including Ryzen chip, heated wiper tray, and lithium low voltage battery. I am not sure what else one would say defines the 2022. However, the first cars with those features were delivered like the last week of December. And my car, built at the end of January, has the old chip and battery.

So, I guess the conclusion is that I have a 2021 that Tesla mistakenly assigned a 2022 VIN in January 2022 when they built it. Or, it means January is actually the same month as October of the previous year because, as we all know, that's when major changes occur.

Anyway, I am happy with my car.

Because that is not historically (meaning, last 2-3 years) how it has worked for Tesla!

If you can’t read what I have posted, providing specific MAJOR examples of this, I don’t know what to tell you. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Can’t believe I am poking this again but of the 25 plus upgrades and down (since my 2020 MYP) none were new model year improvements sorry. You suggest the heat pump but every MY had that from day one and the reason the M3 transitioned was for build symmetry. The upgrades are random and Unpredictable with Tesla. Not sayin that’s bad but that Is the way it is.

The Model Y was released 2 years ago, updates since then:
  • Bigger battery pack (82kWh instead of ~75kWh)
  • Exterior speaker (Boombox)
  • HEPA filter and Bioweapon mode
  • Full rear mega casting (instead of two halves)
  • Heat pump sound damping shroud
  • IR cabin camera
  • Seven-seat option
  • Fixed turn signal cameras (no glare)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Windshield wiper defrost
  • Double-paned windows (front)
  • Double-paned windows (rear)
  • New center console design
  • New door buttons and matte finish panels
  • Metal steering wheel buttons
  • Dimming side mirrors
  • AMD processor
  • Lithium-ion 12V battery
  • Sealed front ball joints
  • Matrix LED headlights (Performance versions so far)
  • USB in the glove box for Sentry Mode + free thumb drive
  • Tie-down hooks in the trunk (China-only right now?)
  • 4680 cells and structural battery pack (coming first at Giga Austin)
  • Cargo cover (China-only for now)
  • Turn signals are now amber color and larger.
Few if any of these have occurred as part of a model year upgrade. Model years are basically meaningless for Tesla, at least for the Model Y.

Bigger battery pack (82kWh instead of ~75kWh)
Model years are basically meaningless for Tesla, at least for the Model Y.

This (certainly the most impactful and significant item on your list!) literally happened on the 2020 to 2021 transition for the Model Y Performance.

MY Performance 2020
MY Performance 2021. (And Long Range AWD 2021)
MY Long Range AWD 2022

I don't understand what we're arguing about. Major changes have an increased likelihood to happen on model year transitions because that's the way the industry is set up. (Specifically, competition on range.) Now, it's possible you could buy a car prior to that model year transition and there's some possibility it could have the larger pack (this nearly certainly happened for some Model Y 2021 Long Range AWD owners, where the transition officially occurred in model year 2022) - but not guaranteed.

These changes are literally tied to the model year due to that being the way it is distinguished by the EPA.

Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla makes changes throughout the year! So you're likely to lose out on MUCH less by simply buying. I keep saying this.

But if someone asks near the model year boundary: "Should I wait?" - I would tell them certainly yes unless there was some obvious reason not to.

It's weird how people claim that Tesla "doesn't have model year updates." It's almost like Elon said that at some point, given that people are so fixated on it being somehow 100% true. Almost, lol.

I don't understand what we're arguing about. Major changes have an increased likelihood to happen on model year transitions because that's the way the industry is set up.

These changes are literally tied to the model year due to that being the way it is distinguished by the EPA.
I don't understand what the discussion is either, Alan. The link you provided for the 2022 model year is dated 1/27/22, and the major changes actually truly did occur around that time, yet the 2022 VINs started coming out in mid-October 2021, over three months earlier. Those cars did not have the modifications.

I don't understand what the discussion is either, Alan. The link you provided for the 2022 model year is dated 1/27/22, and the major changes actually truly did occur around that time, yet the 2022 VINs started coming out in mid-October 2021, over three months earlier. Those cars did not have the modifications.
Even if it did, things like the and megacasting are actually bigger changes and they didn’t. There have been 20-some changes to the MY in 2 years. Just the sheer number of them means some will occur at the hypothetical model year transition. That‘s just statistics, not proof of a model year philosophy.