Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 Refresh Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am certainly not @AlanSubie4Life , but "the yearly refresh" by this OP could mean more than one thing. For example, "I" read it as "when does the model year change from 2022 to 2023", which tesla absolutely does do. I didnt read into it any specific vehicle features, just "when does the model year change (yearly refresh)".

The question @davidski answered was about vehicle features, correctly pointing out that the change in model years does not necessarily coincide with new vehicle features., but from my point of view that wasnt the question. With that being said, the question was very ambiguous so could have ment either.

As far as your other statement, that word isnt one I would use lightly. If you have something that you think should be pointed out to moderators, I would encourage you to report it using the report function.
This is why I said "if" it is a pattern of behavior... I am not in a position to judge, I don't follow these guys checking up on them seeing if one of them is crapping on the other, or both are crapping on each other.

It just seemed like one of those things.

Just for hypothetical sake, I can say "the sky is blue" and someone can give me a thumbs down for it just because they are being a reproductive organ... and if called out on it they can say "at night they sky isn't blue"... but that isn't why they gave the thumbs down, they gave the thumbs down because they are being a reproductive organ. You know it. I know it. Plausible deniability used to be the purview of sleezy politicians but it has become common in every day life now.

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
There is so much overlap on spec changes that there is little point in discussing discreet "Model Years". For example we had a 2021 Model Year M3 LR (delivered Dec 2020) that had about half of the reported 2021 "Model Year" changes. So there were at least 2 significantly differing 2021 Model Year cars on the road and probably more. Ours was a random mash-up of 2020-2021 spec. I expect something similar will happen again as Tesla certainly don't operate on strict spec timescales. Anything introduced as a "2023 Model Year" will be delivered as and when whatever updates are available and will probably vary from factory to factory. So there will never be a definitive 2023 spec car.

New spec parts are put on the cars as old spec parts run out and not before. We are living in a world where a major manufacturer is following the Jonny Cash "one piece at a time" manufacturing model.

Keith

Please point to where I argued that.
es can take place. (And as discussed significant changes can take place at other times too. But model years are a time of particular significance to Tesla

Major changes have an increased likelihood to happen on model year transitions because that's the way the industry is set up

These changes are literally tied to the model year due to that being the way it is distinguished by the EP

I am as it is one of the most important changes.

Literally the battery pack was the thing I was pointing out. Your phrasing here makes it seem like the battery pack occurred as just an incremental update (which is partially true in some years, and entirely untrue in other years), since you make "a single change" seem distinct from these two specific changes you list.
4680 cells and structural battery pack (coming first at Giga Austin)
The 4680 battery pack is a much bigger deal than adding a few cells to the previous design. It involves a major structural redesign of the car. And it didn’t occur on a model year.

• Funny
THANK YOU @sleepydoc, for demonstrating that nowhere have I claimed "that that single change is proof that Tesla adheres to a model year update schedule."

The record is now clear.

Anyway it seems like we're all on the same page here on the way it works.

And it didn’t occur on a model year.
It literally occurred on the initial release of a the very first version of the 2022 Tesla Model Y AWD. This is not a variant that previously existed in any model year. Previous variants were the 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD.

Not sure how to classify that. Is that a model year change? I think that is undefined actually since obviously a brand new car model could release at ANY time of year.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that for future potential 4680 uses, if they ever get sufficient density to work in the Long Range with chemistry changes, they will be rolled out on a model year transition for the Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD (or for Model 3, or whatever). That is when the range shift will occur, and I think it's very unlikely that some people in a model year will get 4680, and others will get 2170.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
THANK YOU @sleepydoc, for demonstrating that nowhere have I claimed "that that single change is proof that Tesla adheres to a model year update schedule."

The record is now clear.

Anyway it seems like we're all on the same page here on the way it works.

It literally occurred on the initial release of a the very first version of the 2022 Tesla Model Y AWD. This is not a variant that previously existed in any model year. Previous variants were the 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD.

Not sure how to classify that. Is that a model year change? I think that is undefined actually since obviously a brand new car model could release at ANY time of year.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that for future potential 4680 uses, if they ever get sufficient density to work in the Long Range with chemistry changes, they will be rolled out on a model year transition for the Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD (or for Model 3, or whatever). That is when the range shift will occur, and I think it's very unlikely that some people in a model year will get 4680, and others will get 2170.
Whatever. There’s no point in arguing with your logic.

Yall politicking about batteries and Im over here like, "can I get an OEM auto frunk"? HAHA
dude....so with you on that one. man that would be nice. with a frunk lid so freakin flimsy there should be a mechanism so no hands have to touch it. you can't get "buddy" to get something out of the frunk because it needs a special procedure and soft hands to not damage it

dude....so with you on that one. man that would be nice. with a frunk lid so freakin flimsy there should be a mechanism so no hands have to touch it. you can't get "buddy" to get something out of the frunk because it needs a special procedure and soft hands to not damage it
I always presumed this was never done due to safety legislation requiring a manually operated mechanical latch. But I could be wrong. Clearly there are aftermarket mods, but I'm not sure on their legality. I would have thought Tesla would have motorised the front lid by now if they were allowed.

I always presumed this was never done due to safety legislation requiring a manually operated mechanical latch. But I could be wrong. Clearly there are aftermarket mods, but I'm not sure on their legality. I would have thought Tesla would have motorised the front lid by now if they were allowed.
I’ve read that, too, but I have no idea if it’s true or not. I’ve long considered getting one of the power frunk kits. I’ll probably end up pulling the trigger soon…

Reactions: DrGriz
There are plenty of new arrivals from other manufacturers that have power frunks so I do not think it is a legality issue. Both the Lightning and the Rivian come to mind.

There are plenty of new arrivals from other manufacturers that have power frunks so I do not think it is a legality issue. Both the Lightning and the Rivian come to mind.

Why do people think Power Frunk is a good idea? Assuming its connected to the either the 16v, you would not be able to get to the battery if the frunk can't be powered. This is why even luxury car like Lexus don't have powered hood....

what i am missing here?

Why do people think Power Frunk is a good idea? Assuming its connected to the either the 16v, you would not be able to get to the battery if the frunk can't be powered. This is why even luxury car like Lexus don't have powered hood....

what i am missing here?
Because you basically never open a hood any more whereas a large frunk such as the Y gets used regularly. I do have a power frunk on the Y and use it all the time to open and close. Never use it on the S as the frunk is so small it is basically only good for bringing home some stinky fast food.

Reactions: sleepydoc

what i am missing here?
I don't particularly care about the powered frunk, but would just note that the same situation exists today - if the 16v battery is dead, the frunk won't open. That's why you need to go in through the opening in the bumper and apply power to the 2 cables there to open the frunk to get to the battery.

what i am missing here?

On the 3rd party auto frunk kits, they solved this easily.

In case the power frunk fails, there is a manual pull cord, just like the doors, which can be used. Location of it is behind little door on the front bumper.

Reactions: origingalatic
Confirmed? If this is the source - Model 3 and Y to lose steering wheel stalks; gain touch-sensitive wheel a la Model S - there are a lot of 'likely's' and 'may be's' noted....

I actually love the stalkless design on my S and hope my 2023 MYP has the same, but I highly doubt it will at launch of the 23s. I base this on the images for the 2023 M3's in the inventory "coming to Boston" I saw. They had stalks, but we all know Tesla doesnt update images really fast either LOL.

Reactions: jsight
I actually love the stalkless design on my S and hope my 2023 MYP has the same
I do also however the best feature is the automatic cancel which relies on camera vision, works very well. Heck it's even smart enough to know you are crossing more than one lane if you do so quickly and will not turn off until you settle in the lane you are shooting for

Reactions: JaeTheDev