Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one answered when I asked, but when it does that, does the set speed drop? If the set speed drops, that probably is thinking it is on a local road. If not, it's something else.
Sometimes, yes you see the speed limit sign on the display change briefly. Car obv shouldn't do this anyway as it's not seeing a road sign. Logic also dictates that if you're on a freeway driving at speed in a straight line, then it's 100% certain that you didn't just turn onto a cross road with a speed limit 40% lower.

Sometimes, yes you see the speed limit sign on the display change briefly. Car obv shouldn't do this anyway as it's not seeing a road sign. Logic also dictates that if you're on a freeway driving at speed in a straight line, then it's 100% certain that you didn't just turn onto a cross road with a speed limit 40% lower.
I've driven on roads where it crosses through a town and the speed limit is dropped from 55 down to 35 in that section (then gots back up). There are also situations like highway dead ends where it exits at the end immediately to a local road. So I don't think a sanity check code that excludes that necessarily is valid.

Set speed based slowdowns based on incorrect speed limits are not necessarily radar removal related, but ones where set speed does not change and it brakes seemingly for no reason may be.

Recalibrate the cameras and try on newest software once you have it (you don’t yet).

If you do even a little bit of research you’ll find some consistent triggers of PB events. Check my post history for thorough info. As others have said, some cars are more affected than others, but there are consistent triggers across vehicle types and software patches. I definitely understand your frustration though.
I agree. Do a camera recalibrate and see if that helps.

Picked up my new 2023 MYLR on Friday and didn’t even make it home before encountering a sudden phantom braking event which caused the car to go from about 45 mph to zero in seconds, with the antilock brakes engaged. I was in the middle lane of a three lane road during rush hour with vehicles all around me, amazing I wasn’t rear ended. Worse yet, the car shut down and wouldn’t go back into drive. I contacted Tesla roadside service, but the only help they could provide was to send a flatbed and have it towed to the local Tesla Service Center. I waited an hour and 45 minutes in the middle of rush hour traffic for the tow company to arrive, terrified I would get rear ended. While waiting I did some research and reset the computer several times, to no avail. I purchased the Enhanced Autopilot for the advanced autopilot navigation features, and now I’ll be afraid to use them, or TACC for that matter. I’m extremely disappointed.

Reactions: LucLamma
Picked up my new 2023 MYLR on Friday and didn’t even make it home before encountering a sudden phantom braking event which caused the car to go from about 45 mph to zero in seconds, with the antilock brakes engaged. I was in the middle lane of a three lane road during rush hour with vehicles all around me, amazing I wasn’t rear ended. Worse yet, the car shut down and wouldn’t go back into drive. I contacted Tesla roadside service, but the only help they could provide was to send a flatbed and have it towed to the local Tesla Service Center. I waited an hour and 45 minutes in the middle of rush hour traffic for the tow company to arrive, terrified I would get rear ended. While waiting I did some research and reset the computer several times, to no avail. I purchased the Enhanced Autopilot for the advanced autopilot navigation features, and now I’ll be afraid to use them, or TACC for that matter. I’m extremely disappointed.
Sorry to hear about your issue man. As someone who experienced the same problem over a dozen times (minus the car shutting down part) I understand at least some of what you've been through. It's extremely dangerous and scary when it happens.

Please keep us updated on your situation. I am debating just selling the week and a half old car to Carmax because I don't feel safe operating it.

It sucks that they released and update that lets you play Steam games and use wireless controllers but they haven't fixed a potentially deadly bug in breaking that people have complained about for 3 years.

Sorry you had a frightening incident & your car won’t start. Hmm doesn’t sound like autopilot is the issue. One idea, perhaps you push the park button instead of windshield wipers? At higher speeds park will not enable. At lower heavy traffic speeds it will stop the car suddenly. Perhaps the sudden stop due to using parking brake made the car throw an error & computer won’t let car start. I made the mistake once while driving. I hit the button when trying to disengage autopilot.
I use autopilot a lot in the past 12 months. Never had phantom braking.

There is obviously something wrong with your vehicle. You did not experience the normal "phantom braking" most of us had, which is an inconvenience but not necessarily dangerous.

Reactions: Fraslin
I don't think it was phantom braking so much as an issue with the car. The cameras on your car probably would not have been calibrated yet, so you wouldn't have been able to use TACC or EAP. You don't say whether you were using it or not, so I am assuming you were not.

What you describe is not phantom braking, you simply have a defective car. If it auto braked and you weren't in AP, that might have been the AEB system. But even that system does not disable the vehicle, so obviously something else is wrong with your vehicle.

The phantom braking people describe is unnecessary slowing while in AP (but not to a complete stop).

Sorry you had a frightening incident & your car won’t start. Hmm doesn’t sound like autopilot is the issue. One idea, perhaps you push the park button instead of windshield wipers? At higher speeds park will not enable. At lower heavy traffic speeds it will stop the car suddenly. Perhaps the sudden stop due to using parking brake made the car throw an error & computer won’t let car start. I made the mistake once while driving. I hit the button when trying to disengage autopilot.
I use autopilot a lot in the past 12 months. Never had phantom braking.
There is obviously something wrong with your vehicle. You did not experience the normal "phantom braking" most of us had, which is an inconvenience but not necessarily dangerous.
I don't think it was phantom braking so much as an issue with the car. The cameras on your car probably would not have been calibrated yet, so you wouldn't have been able to use TACC or EAP. You don't say whether you were using it or not, so I am assuming you were not.

It's interesting to note that quite a few people are jumping on board and saying this is not phantom braking when it very clearly is.

When a car slams the brakes without cause it is phantom braking. It's extremely frightening and dangerous. What makes matters worse is you guys are trying to call it something else because you're not honest enough with yourselves to admit that this is a serious safety issue. Nothing about this is NORMAL. I was discussing this with a Tesla owner at a super charger yesterday and he just brushed it off and said it's not a big deal.

Anyone see the SNL skit a few years ago about finger chilly? It summarizes some of the responses here perfectly...

It's interesting to note that quite a few people are jumping on board and saying this is not phantom braking when it very clearly is.

When a car slams the brakes without cause it is phantom braking. It's extremely frightening and dangerous. What makes matters worse is you guys are trying to call it something else because you're not honest enough with yourselves to admit that this is a serious safety issue. Nothing about this is NORMAL. I was discussing this with a Tesla owner at a super charger yesterday and he just brushed it off and said it's not a big deal.

Anyone see the SNL skit a few years ago about finger chilly? It summarizes some of the responses here perfectly...
Um no. "Phantom Braking" as talked about all over TMC refers to Autopilot rapidly slowing the car down because of a variety of reasons. I have never seen it referred to what appears to be the emergency braking system bringing the car to a complete stop in the middle of the road with the car inoperable. This is clearly not what we all refer to as Phantom Braking. Something else is broken here other than Autopilot.

Typically when people refer to PB incidents it is when using Autopilot or FSD, not 'just driving around' manually. That was my point, more of a semantics thing. Your incident seems to have been caused by a fault with the car unrelated to AP/FSD usage, that's all. Sorry for the confusion. Hope the car is fixed soon.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
The phantom braking on my 2023 MYLR brings the car to a complete stop on a highway if I do not intervene by pressing the accelerator after a phantom braking event occurs. The speed is reduced from 75 mph to 50 mph immediately and then gradually slowed down to 0 at a rate of about 10 mph per 5 seconds. Whatever the reason or bug, it creates an extreme safety hazard.

The phantom braking on my 2023 MYLR brings the car to a complete stop on a highway if I do not intervene by pressing the accelerator after a phantom braking event occurs. The speed is reduced from 75 mph to 50 mph immediately and then gradually slowed down to 0 at a rate of about 10 mph per 5 seconds. Whatever the reason or bug, it creates an extreme safety hazard.
Except that is not what happened to that person, theirs went from 45-0mph in seconds (not gradual slow down) and the car disabled completely. That sounds like AEB activation and some other defect in the car that disabled the vehicle (phantom braking does not).

The slow down from 70-50 mph is what most people describe as phantom braking. Sometimes this is from set speed reduction (in which case it is an error in speed limit detection), sometimes not.

I've had my MYLR for a year and still experience phantom braking. I can reproduce it consistently on a stretch of highway in my state. The forum has pointed out that TACC is not like cruise control in ICE cars. Maybe cruise control is not as sophisticated as TACC which could be reason it sometimes become overly confused with various situations on the road. You first should alert your Tesla dealer of the issue. They may elect to reset all the cameras in the car which might improve the driving experience. You should also keep your software updated. Each update may make improves to the Tesla Vision software that supports the TACC feature. Lastly, keep posted to this forum which member have a wealth of knowledge on this matter.

Interesting. My 2020 DM LR had phantom braking, one or two episodes on my 20 mile trip to work, one or two on the way home, every single day. One appeared to be location specific, odd because that location was straight, flat interstate with no bridges or overpasses. Many occurred while overtaking an 18 wheeler in an adjacent lane on the interstate, but some without another vehicle in sight. It seemed to increase in frequency in general until the beginning of this year when phantom braking just disappeared, gone, zero. Currently on 2022.36.20 w FSD which I use for all of my interstate driving and half my time on other roads. Not sure why it just went away but I’ll take it!

• Disagree
Reactions: Eto Demerzel