Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New '21 LR+ vs '16 90D... wow, big difference.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my '21 LR+ a couple of days ago.

So glad I decided to get another X. Had a Y ordered and almost ready for delivery in 03/20, right before shutdown. Then changed my mind during shutdown and went with another X.

Pros:
•The new smart suspension is awesome. I didn't think it'll make that much of a difference coming from the '16, and car is so much quieter, not sure if it's the suspension or new insulation. Huge different compared to my '16.
•371 EPA rating, compared to the 240 on my '16. Can't argue, road trips!!
•Build quality seemed to have improved. Panel gaps are better, alignments are way better (could be just mine). It better be, having 300k VINs between my '16 and '21.
•Finally able to get GEICO MBI for my X, couldn't get it for the '16 (too new @ the time?).
•Section 179 business use.
•Seats feel more comfy compared to '16. Don't missed the adjustable headrest.
•MCU2 - so much faster. (I had AP HW2, so not upgradeable).
•$22k cheaper than my '16.

Cons:
•Missed the alcantara dash and carbon fiber inlays in my '16. Can't get carbon fiber without going to Performance.
•no ventilated seats, althought I don't think it matters that much at the end of the day, but a feature removed from older models, so people will probably not like that.
•I actually like the lever button for the FWDs (I know a lot of you are not a fan), the button feels cheap.
•Was getting 49miles/hour charging in my '16. '21 I was getting 48miles, so not sure on the difference. Maybe it's minor, just something I noticed.
•No lifetime free supercharging (maybe I'll just continue to use my '16 for road trips).

Overall, very satisfied with my decision to get another X. Was hoping for a re-design, but don't know when that would happen, so bite the bullet and got one this year. So maybe in 3-4 years, when the 4680 X is ready, I'll be getting my 3rd X.

Here's to many more happy years with the X. My new favorite car again. Love went to the LR 3 for a couple of years. :)

-ThinkMac-

I have quite similar situation - I had 2017 X and 3LR and started to prefer driving the 3 immediately when we got it (Feb 2019). Now the X got updated and it really wins this game hands down again and seriously doubt any refresh to the 3 can ever change this back. New Xs are awesome.

• Informative
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Hmm... I noticed minimal changes from my 2016 90D vs a newer 2020 X, maybe slightly better suspension but wind noise and road noise were same so I said forget it and decided not to trade in, and maybe wait another couple years. I wonder if different 2016 Xs just have different build qualities? What kind of wheels did you end up getting with your newer 2020?

But whats even more weird, Tesla gave me a loaner about 1-2 months ago, a 90D X, I do not think it was a 2020 because the seats were perforated, and the headrest was movable, but that was an awesome car compared to my current 2016. Was so smooth and quiet. Maybe its just luck of the draw? Because I test drove two 2020 just recently and they were very noisy and bumpy and rough.

Weird!

Last edited:
Went with 20in wheels for the '21. Was all in for the range. If getting 22s, then might as well go Performance.

There should be no 90D for 2020 model year. Probably a 100D? I think there were rev2 of the perforated seats, which I hear before than the v1.

Tesla quality is hit & miss. So it could be that your '16 90D is quieter than mine. My '16 was a 07/16 build with a 10/16 delivery. Missed AP 2.5 by 2 weeks (was debating on cancelling and getting new order, but most likely won't make it by year-end for tax reasons, so went with the AP 2 build).

-ThinkMac-

Hmm... I noticed minimal changes from my 2016 90D vs a newer 2020 X, maybe slightly better suspension but wind noise and road noise were same so I said forget it and decided not to trade in, and maybe wait another couple years. I wonder if different 2016 Xs just have different build qualities? What kind of wheels did you end up getting with your newer 2020?

But whats even more weird, Tesla gave me a loaner about 1-2 months ago, a 90D X, I do not think it was a 2020 because the seats were perforated, and the headrest was movable, but that was an awesome car compared to my current 2016. Was so smooth and quiet. Maybe its just luck of the draw? Because I test drove two 2020 just recently and they were very noisy and bumpy and rough.

Weird!

Hmm... I'll have to check this out. Don't remember getting any notification for MCU upgrade option. Or maybe I'm confusing my self.

Well, at this point, I'll just keep my '16 as is. No point adding more $$ into it, since it'll probably be backup or pure road tripping car for now.

-ThinkMac-

I am curious why you made this statement. AP2.0/HW2 vehicles are upgradable to MCU2. I also heard AP1 vehicles were also upgradable to MCU2.

The headrest didn't bother me as much. I read a lot people were complaining about it, but the headrest on my LR 3 is fixed and that didn't bother me either. Once I set the headrest in my '16, I never move it, and I only raised a little bit. Not a deal breaker for me. But I can see where it might make other seating positions not as comfortable. My initial thinking was that I tilt the front up a little bit and back down a little bit to compensate if I find the headrest protruding too much forward, glad I didn't have to.

Love the Q7, we had a '09 TDI. Torque monster before EVs and diesel gate.

Did you get the SQ7? that was on my list of alternates to the X. But I just can't move back to ICE. Our '19 RRS is just sitting in the garage collecting dust. Take it out on the weekends to stretch it's legs, but that's about it.

-ThinkMac-

Each year the X has improved.

However, the new headrests project too far forward and sadly as presently constituted, I will never buy another nor recommend.

I bought an Audi Q7 this weekend for my wife (versus another X).

Gen 2 HPWC.

-ThinkMac-
Thanks....I'm confused though. Everything I've been seeing shows that the X can only charge up to 30mph. See below. Seeing that you're getting 48mph is making me rethink getting a HPWC.

Second Generation Wall Connector

upload_2020-11-16_8-29-54.png

Thanks....I'm confused though. Everything I've been seeing shows that the X can only charge up to 30mph. See below. Seeing that you're getting 48mph is making me rethink getting a HPWC.

View attachment 608993
I thought it was capable of a lot more too and was thinking I'd get double or better charge rate if I went to an HPWC but I just did some checking and it looks like the MX is limited to 48A/11.5kw. I charged last night with the charger that came with it plugged into a 14-50 outlet and got 20-21 mph added. So another 10 mph really doesn't see worth it. I too would like to know what setup he has.

I have to correct myself.

I have confused myself with the numbers. My Model 3 was getting 49mph charging.

The X was getting 40mph charging. I must have seen 38mph or something and thought 48mph.

Sorry for the mistake.

my '16 X was getting 40mph, and '21 X is getting 38mph.

I have a 100A breaker, but not sure it makes any difference according to that chart.

-ThinkMac-

View attachment 608993

Tesla has always had model years. Used to change with the calendar Dec, 31st, but recently change around October. Believe it is so fresh model years arrive when off the boat in Europe.
Everyone seems to habitually want to wait for the next model year when the time gets close.