Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New '21 LR+ vs '16 90D... wow, big difference.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks.

They changed the model year designation recently. Maybe last year? My '17 Model 3 was picked up in Jan 2018. But I know that as of the Oct builds, all the X are designated MY 2021. Probably the same across all models, not just X.

-ThinkMac-

Congrats! Curious to why its considered a 21' when tesla models typically go by manufacture date as they don't have "model years".

Does someone have a link to describe more what section 179 is exactly and do I qualify for it? Does anyone here have a medical private practice and qualify for this ? Like I dont travel for work, my office is only 3 miles from me house , do I still qualify?

Last edited:
The headrest didn't bother me as much. I read a lot people were complaining about it, but the headrest on my LR 3 is fixed and that didn't bother me either. Once I set the headrest in my '16, I never move it, and I only raised a little bit. Not a deal breaker for me. But I can see where it might make other seating positions not as comfortable. My initial thinking was that I tilt the front up a little bit and back down a little bit to compensate if I find the headrest protruding too much forward, glad I didn't have to.

Love the Q7, we had a '09 TDI. Torque monster before EVs and diesel gate.

Did you get the SQ7? that was on my list of alternates to the X. But I just can't move back to ICE. Our '19 RRS is just sitting in the garage collecting dust. Take it out on the weekends to stretch it's legs, but that's about it.

-ThinkMac-

We bought a '21 Prestige Trim.....seats are terrific (massage, great comfort and as a neck surgery patient it was important to me).

As an investor and owner of a couple of X's (plus my sons all have 3's) it hurt to go down that route. My hope is that when the "new" X is released in the future, they will make the necessary changes to bring us back in the fold.

If you have your own business, and you have a business need for a vehicle with GVWR > 6k lbs. Yes, you qualify.

Section 179 Deduction for Trucks / Vehicles | Section179.Org

But 3 miles of travel is probably hard to justify, just use good judgement.

-ThinkMac-

Does someone have a link to describe more what section 179 is exactly and do I qualify for it? Does anyone here have a medical private practice and qualify for this ? Like I dont travel for work, my office is only 3 miles from me house , do I still qualify?

Last edited:

There are pretty strict rules around using your personal vehicle under section 179, and my feeling is that some of the people who are taking it on this forum might not be deducting it appropriately (this is not directed at a specific poster, just a general observation I've noticed). As always contact a CPA to get insight into your specific situation.

That being said, based on what you've posted, I don't think you would qualify for a section 179 deduction of your model X. You need to use your vehicle for >50% business in order to qualify for the deduction. Note that this does not include commuting to a regular place of employment (i.e. somewhere you would work for > 1 year) so even your 3-mile daily commute wouldn't count. You need to mainly use the vehicle to produce income (i.e. driving to an off-site location to do a job), not just commute to an office every day. The intention is for this deduction to be used for plumbers, electricians, traveling salesmen, repairmen, etc. where their vehicle is an integral part of doing their job and producing income for their business.

It's also important to point out that suddenly taking a huge section 179 deduction is a red flag that can trigger IRS audits. I would definitely contact a CPA if you are considering deducting your model X and you aren't 100% sure if you qualify.

Last edited:
Interesting charging statistics, but the reality is that Model X can easily charge up overnight in most all cases with a simple 14-50 outlet. Only in rare cases, or people wanting to optimize timing, will require faster charging.
yeah, that's what i have setup in my garage and speed-wise, hit about 30mph in the Model 3.

what does your X hit with a 14-50?

As far as section 179 (SUV Loophole) goes most profitable business owners will qualify. Of course you will want to run it by your tax professional before ordering. Lots of hospital physicians parking lots are full of Tesla. Being a physician does not disqualify you. If the vehicle is "placed into service" before the end of year, you can deduct it for the full year. Buying at the end of the year makes it pretty easy to use it for almost 100% of its miles. The total number of miles does not count...just the %.
If you have a home office where you do some phone calls, computer work or such, then that becomes your commute daily. Going from home office to Hospital would not be a commute, but using the vehicle for business. If you ever carry medical supplies or samples, or just keep emergency stuff in it, that makes a stronger case as well.
Under Trump, the amounts went way up and the restrictions minor. No telling what may happen after Biden takes over.
If you make taxable income as a physician your tax preparer should be able to quality you for the Section 179 plus be able to write off the total amount of you purchase as first year complete deductions (well over $100,000.)

Just because you do not "believe" you will qualify does not mean you cannot take the deduction. The requirements are very specific and straigh forward. Just do not try to bend them to fit. IF you qualify you would be foolish not to take the deductions. In most cases it will make your Model X much less net expensive than even the cheapest Model 3.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
yeah, that's what i have setup in my garage and speed-wise, hit about 30mph in the Model 3.

what does your X hit with a 14-50?

In my Raven Model X Long Range I can hit over 30 mph at 40 amps, but only at lowish state of charge. As the battery fills it slows down. Typically I only charge at 35 amps as during super hot weather my breaker sometimes will trip due to the heat. This has been 100% fast enough for me to have a 90% charge every morning. I can also charge to 100% on those rare occasions where I will be leaving in the early AM for a long trip. For most, there is not reason to make a contest about this charging speed. At home charging is fast enough to get the job done. Like many, I find the combination of home charging plus road trip Supercharging to fullfill the Tesla promise. I have also used destination charging on road trips to grab additional range while at lunch, touristing or even hiking.

As far as section 179 (SUV Loophole) goes most profitable business owners will qualify. Of course you will want to run it by your tax professional before ordering. Lots of hospital physicians parking lots are full of Tesla. Being a physician does not disqualify you. If the vehicle is "placed into service" before the end of year, you can deduct it for the full year. Buying at the end of the year makes it pretty easy to use it for almost 100% of its miles. The total number of miles does not count...just the %.
If you have a home office where you do some phone calls, computer work or such, then that becomes your commute daily. Going from home office to Hospital would not be a commute, but using the vehicle for business. If you ever carry medical supplies or samples, or just keep emergency stuff in it, that makes a stronger case as well.
Under Trump, the amounts went way up and the restrictions minor. No telling what may happen after Biden takes over.
If you make taxable income as a physician your tax preparer should be able to quality you for the Section 179 plus be able to write off the total amount of you purchase as first year complete deductions (well over $100,000.)

Just because you do not "believe" you will qualify does not mean you cannot take the deduction. The requirements are very specific and straigh forward. Just do not try to bend them to fit. IF you qualify you would be foolish not to take the deductions. In most cases it will make your Model X much less net expensive than even the cheapest Model 3.

It's absolutely not true that most business owners qualify. You need to use the vehicle (on a per-mile basis) more than 50% for business, excluding any commuting. That is a high bar to clear if you are also using the vehicle for personal use, unless your job sites are regularly 50+ miles away and you never take personal road trips.

Also, just because you take a few phone calls from your home office does not mean you work from home, and does not mean you can count your home as your principal place of doing business. If your accountant told you that I would fire them. It's based on where you primarily generate your income - which for a physician practicing at a hospital, would be the hospital. If you run your practice from your home then that is another matter, but it sounds like the person asking the question primarily works at the hospital. Again, they should contact their CPA rather than listening to anyone on the internet.

I had 2017 X and 3LR and started to prefer driving the 3 immediately when we got it (Feb 2019). Now the X got updated and it really wins this game hands down again
I have a 2017 model X and also developed a preference for the model 3 after getting it. And like you, I was restored back to the X being my preference, but with a simpler change: the MCU2 upgrade and HW3.

Don't remember getting any notification for MCU upgrade option.
They don’t notify you. It is there for the asking.
Infotainment Upgrade

tesla models typically go by manufacture date as they don't have "model years"
The year has always appeared in the VIN. It just used to correspond to calendar year, and now they switch to the next year before the end of the year.

I have a 2017 model X and also developed a preference for the model 3 after getting it. And like you, I was restored back to the X being my preference, but with a simpler change: the MCU2 upgrade and HW3.

For me the issue was with the seats, range and suspension. Very tiny difference in the new seats made a huge difference. Range is also now about the same as in the 2019 long range 3, so when it comes to the roadtrips it doesn't matter which car we take. Suspension is also a massive improvement.

It's absolutely not true that most business owners qualify. You need to use the vehicle (on a per-mile basis) more than 50% for business, excluding any commuting. That is a high bar to clear if you are also using the vehicle for personal use, unless your job sites are regularly 50+ miles away and you never take personal road trips.

Also, just because you take a few phone calls from your home office does not mean you work from home, and does not mean you can count your home as your principal place of doing business. If your accountant told you that I would fire them. It's based on where you primarily generate your income - which for a physician practicing at a hospital, would be the hospital. If you run your practice from your home then that is another matter, but it sounds like the person asking the question primarily works at the hospital. Again, they should contact their CPA rather than listening to anyone on the internet.

Yep. That is what my account said when we looked at trying to write off our X. We work from home and visit clients throughout the SF Bay area. But 50-60% of the mileage is personal.

Picked up my '21 LR+ a couple of days ago.

So glad I decided to get another X. Had a Y ordered and almost ready for delivery in 03/20, right before shutdown. Then changed my mind during shutdown and went with another X.

Pros:
•The new smart suspension is awesome. I didn't think it'll make that much of a difference coming from the '16, and car is so much quieter, not sure if it's the suspension or new insulation. Huge different compared to my '16.
•371 EPA rating, compared to the 240 on my '16. Can't argue, road trips!!
•Build quality seemed to have improved. Panel gaps are better, alignments are way better (could be just mine). It better be, having 300k VINs between my '16 and '21.
•Finally able to get GEICO MBI for my X, couldn't get it for the '16 (too new @ the time?).
•Section 179 business use.
•Seats feel more comfy compared to '16. Don't missed the adjustable headrest.
•MCU2 - so much faster. (I had AP HW2, so not upgradeable).
•$22k cheaper than my '16.

Cons:
•Missed the alcantara dash and carbon fiber inlays in my '16. Can't get carbon fiber without going to Performance.
•no ventilated seats, althought I don't think it matters that much at the end of the day, but a feature removed from older models, so people will probably not like that.
•I actually like the lever button for the FWDs (I know a lot of you are not a fan), the button feels cheap.
•Was getting 49miles/hour charging in my '16. '21 I was getting 48miles, so not sure on the difference. Maybe it's minor, just something I noticed.
•No lifetime free supercharging (maybe I'll just continue to use my '16 for road trips).

Overall, very satisfied with my decision to get another X. Was hoping for a re-design, but don't know when that would happen, so bite the bullet and got one this year. So maybe in 3-4 years, when the 4680 X is ready, I'll be getting my 3rd X.

Here's to many more happy years with the X. My new favorite car again. Love went to the LR 3 for a couple of years. :)

-ThinkMac-
GEICO isn't offering MBI for 2022 Model 3's. Boo!