Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2170 Cells: Coming sooner, rather than later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 3 is eating up all the time that's available. And what it doesn't the semi is taking.

Tesla will not let the Model S/X sit. The S/X will be developed and improved and upgraded just as much as they did in the past 4 years. They won't kill the S/X sales by not working on it. It's a high profit product selling in good numbers that other manufacturers can only dream about. Tesla will not jeopardize this market segment. They redesigned the Model S/X battery for the 100 pack. Different cell layout, different cooling system, 16% more cells. Filling the Model S/X pack with the new cells is a similar redesign effort. I'm sure we will see Model S/X with new packs in less than a year.

That said, Model S/X may get other things come Q3, so I would definitely wait.

If nothing of interest surfaces in early July, not much anything is likely lost by putting in a belated order then.

I'm 51. That means I have maybe 25 hopefully healthy summers left. I'm hoping for more but even with the best estimates, and a healthy lifestyle, it's really not that much remaining.

I got my car in the spring of 2014, just before AP came out in Sept 2014. That's probably the biggest change that someone would have regrets have missed out in the history of Tesla. But I had a great summer of 2014 with my family and my new Tesla and I wouldn't trade it for anything, including AP.

Waiting is wise,

To each their own. People can still get the different sized batteries and whatever else comes out when it comes time to upgrade but no one can ever get yesterday back -- and life's far too short not to be driving a Tesla today, for me at least.

Tesla will not let the Model S/X sit. The S/X will be developed and improved and upgraded just as much as they did in the past 4 years. They won't kill the S/X sales by not working on it. It's a high profit product selling in good numbers that other manufacturers can only dream about. Tesla will not jeopardize this market segment. They redesigned the Model S/X battery for the 100 pack. Different cell layout, different cooling system, 16% more cells. Filling the Model S/X pack with the new cells is a similar redesign effort. I'm sure we will see Model S/X with new packs in less than a year.

I definitely agree with you, the S and X will be updated for quite some time to come. Particularly the interior.

I see that I actually misspoke, I meant to say that the model 3 and the Tesla semi, not to mention the power walls and power packs, will take all the battery cells that the Giga Factory can produce. Thus leaving the 18650 size available for the S and X for the next year or so.