Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 250kw charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d really like to see the charge curve of the new S/X charging versus the 3/Y, I suspect the 3/Y newer battery will charge at higher rates for longer periods of time. The S/X battery was never designed for those kinds of charging speeds so I think it will be short-lived. Unlesss they’ve changed the battery chemistry to match 3/Y without telling the public...??

I am not sure if that’s right. On my model 3 I sustained 250 kW for 5 min. We have to wait to see the charge curves. It’s not a huge deal yes but if I can choose I will take the newest X with peak charging speed. Why not?
that's on a model 3 (and even then the total time difference is negligible unless oyu are charging to 50%). A different story on S/X.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1280216007236255750

that's on a model 3 (and even then the total time difference is negligible unless oyu are charging to 50%). A different story on S/X.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1280216007236255750
It is highly variable, you need to have a hot battery (driving or on route warming) and be at 8% SOC or lower, then you may get 250 kW until 20-25%. It is a small benefit unless you are driving fast and keeping the battery between 5-50%. I agree it’s more valuable to be at 150 kW until 60% instead of dropping. Cool to see the 200 kW +, I was capped at 147 kW on my rental last year for a big road trip.

Well, if the 250KW peak charge is like the 200KW peak charge on E type pack, you'll see the peak charge rate for a few seconds around 25% SOC and it'll drop off very quickly down to below unpaired V2 charging speeds by 30% SOC. Unless things have changed, it's really a gimmick on S/X.

Reactions: InternetDude
...and it'll drop off very quickly down to below unpaired V2 charging speeds by 30% SOC. Unless things have changed, it's really a gimmick on S/X.
A lot of things are gimmicks with Teslas :p fart mode, games, "peak" charge rate on S/X, "full" "self" driving LOL etc. Prospective new owners eat this stuff up.

I took a drive earlier this week and plugged into a v3 SC in my 2018 P100D. I started at 10%, it peaked at 154kW for mere seconds at 15% and it was all downhill from there. I realize the battery is not that "new" but the car has under 10K miles on it so it is "kind of" new. By 20% it was down around 123 kW.

Peak charge rate doesn't mean that much on S/X until it gets 3/Y battery cells.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA