Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 340W Solar Panels on Tesla's Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
340W, same size and weight panels. Looks like an 8% gain over the previous Q.Peak Duo Blk-G5/SC 315 panels. Up on site now. Also with new pricing.

Panel info: Solar Panels | Tesla
New pricing: Design your Solar + Powerwall system

Not seeing info on the PowerWalls on the site.

BTW Our permit for our 3rd PowerWall (addition to our ordered 2) was approved by our city on Tuesday so expect we will be hearing about our installation soon. Wildfires here in the SF Bay area have already started so anxious to get our install and PTO.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Adding a data point compared to the previous 3-month updates from Tesla Standard Panel Install Pricing

Code:
  Date    Small (1)   Medium (2)    Large (3)  X-Large (4)
Sep 19      $10,017      $20,034      $30,051      $40,068 multiples of 3780W
Dec 19      $10,517      $19,034      $28,051      $36,069
Mar 20      $10,000      $18,000      $26,500      $34,500
Jun 20      $10,000      $16,000      $23,500      $30,000 multiples of 4080W

So 9 months ago, the pricing was a fixed $2.65/W, and now the pricing is $2.45/W, $1.96/W, $1.92/W, and $1.84/W from small to x-large. Over $10k / 25% cheaper for the x-large in less than a year!

When we ordered our solar system with two PWs, we had a bundled special pricing that went away after a month or two. When the larger solar systems came out they reduced the pricing on additional PWs so we got a break on the third when we added it. Kind of hard to compare combo systems until the PW pricing and install figures come out. I do expect as with Teslas cars that as production ramps up and sales take off, they will likewise reduce the costs where they can. They are supplying other installers with PWs as well.

I looked at Q-Cells website to see if 340W panels were listed but did not see them so wonder if the new panels are still Q-Cells or not. Are these coming out of Giga2? Maybe Battery Day is very soon? The Shareholders meeting isn’t until 7/7.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
Just got off the phone with Tesla and the person says that they can't change the system without revising the permit and that would delay the installation. They would have to talk with their Manager and find out what that would take and how long that would delay the installation.

I’m in the same boat. I have a 15.12kW system set to be installed on Monday. I’d love to get the higher capacity panels, but I think I’ve been waiting so long for the install that I think I’ll just go ahead and stick with what I have.

In my case, it took about 2 weeks to get the permit. Most of that was waiting for their drawings to be signed and sealed, which is required by my city, Once they applied for the permit my city approved it in just two business days. After that they called to schedule the install and the earliest available time was 2.5 weeks out. So, assuming those numbers would be similar if they had to redo everything I think I would be looking at at least a 1 month delay.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m in the same boat. I have a 15.12kW system set to be installed on Monday. I’d love to get the higher capacity panels, but I think I’ve been waiting so long for the install that I think I’ll just go ahead and stick with what I have.

In my case, it took about 2 weeks to get the permit. Most of that was waiting for their drawings to be signed and sealed, which is required by my city, Once they applied for the permit my city approved it in just two business days. After that they called to schedule the install and the earliest available time was 2.5 weeks out. So, assuming those numbers would be similar if they had to redo everything I think I would be looking at at least a 1 month delay.

you still should be able to get the price adjusted.

I have an extra large system with 315W panels pending and they just submitted permits. I called 5 min ago and the dude said they would be issuing a credit to all current pending installs to make the $/Watt the same as the 340W panels which would happen after authorization to activate system. He said, like above, that if I wanted the 340W panels I'd have to cancel and start a brand new order. I'm thinking about it anyway - more power for way less.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I just called about this as well. As I said above, my install is scheduled for Monday and my permit has already been approved, so I was pretty sure that nothing would be able to be changed at this point. I did ask the advisor if I could switch to the new panels and not surprisingly he said that I was not able to switch. He then told me about the rebate available to people with orders already in process. The way he phrased it though it sounded like you needed to request the rebate. He asked if I wanted him to submit my order for the rebate and he said that I should see a new document in my account within a few days with rebate details. He also said that he couldn’t tell me exactly how much the rebate would be because it depends on a lot of factors, such as the size of the system, whether you have powerwalls or not, and your location. But he did have a chart he could refer to to estimate the rebate amount and in my case (XL system with powerwalls in Florida) he said that the rebate should be around $2200.

All that said, if you do have a pending order and you don’t want to or it’s too late for you to change to the new panels I would suggest calling to ask about the rebate. It is my understanding that they won’t just give this to everyone and you do need to request it.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I just got a proposal 2 days ago. Called and they were able to reduce it to the new price. Waiting to hear back on if we can swap to the new 340W panels and possibly a different inverter rather than the Delta inverter for an 8.5kW system.

I don't believe this is true. The dimensions are the same as the 315W panel currently in my design. I might have to cancel my order if they won't make adjustments.

Unless Tesla is using a custom Hanwha panel, Tesla is using the 340W G6 panel now, which is larger. There is no 340W panel that Hanwha offers that is the same size as the 315W G5 panel Tesla was originally using.

Last edited:
Unless Tesla is using a custom Hanwha panel, Tesla is using the 340W G6 panel now, which is larger. There is no 340W panel that Hanwha offers that is the size as the 315W G5 panel Tesla was originally using.

That makes me feel better about sticking with my order for 315W panels. As it was they barely fit the 48 315W panels onto my roof. If the panels were any bigger I think they would need to put some on the north facing roof which wouldn’t be ideal.

So I’m pretty happy moving forward given that info, plus the rebate for orders in progress, plus the fact that my install is scheduled for 3 days from now and I don’t want to push it back.

Last edited:
That makes me feel better about sticking with my order for 315W panels. As it was they barely fit the 48 315W panels onto my roof. If the panels were any bigger I think they would need to put some on the north facing roof which wouldn’t be ideal.

I just spoke with my Tesla rep, and he thinks that they are the same size, however, he wasn't 100% sure. He also said the new panels are not in stock yet, and he didn't have a timeline for when they will be ready for installs. Since I'm ~10 weeks out from install, I'm upgrading to the new panels. Once the design is updated, we'll know if they're the same size or not.

I just spoke with my Tesla rep, and he thinks that they are the same size, however, he wasn't 100% sure. He also said the new panels are not in stock yet, and he didn't have a timeline for when they will be ready for installs. Since I'm ~10 weeks out from install, I'm upgrading to the new panels. Once the design is updated, we'll know if they're the same size or not.

Yeah, given where you are in the process it probably makes sense to switch. Good luck with your order.