Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 340W Solar Panels on Tesla's Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm probably just going to turn them away because I dont want to take any chance that they do the install and then i find out i'm not eligible for the rebate for who knows what reason. I have the worst luck in making assumptions so I'm not taking any chances until I know iron clad what I'm getting into.

That said, do you know what the cost penalty is for cancelling?

When I was initially talking to Tesla about my system and getting quotes I was concerned about the fact that with Tesla it was an “order” and not just a quote, but one energy advisor assured me that “you can cancel any time up until the truck pulls up to your house”. I don’t know if there is more of a commitment once the trucks actually show up or not. I didn’t ask what happened if the trucks did show up since I knew that if I did cancel it would be long before then.

I feel like Tesla won’t be happy if you cancel when the trucks show up because it’s a huge crew of people and by canceling at the last minute you will be wasting a lot of their time and costing a lot of money paying these people to not install your system. I would think worst case they wouldn’t let you reorder at the new price (or any price). But I don’t know if they would go that far or not.

I think the line kind of needs to be drawn somewhere. You did sign a contract at the old pricing. Tesla doesn’t really even have to offer a rebate, so if they are willing to give you some money back that’s more than they really need to do.

It always sucks when you buy something and then a newer better thing comes out at a lower price and that’s kind of the situation you (and I) are in.

It’s a whole lot of money and I don’t blame you at all for trying to get the best price that you can, but do remember that you agreed to the old price and the install date and if you try to back out at install time it may not go well.

Good luck in any case and let us know how it goes and what you decide to do.

The baffling thing about Tesla Solar is nowhere on the lean, nearly information-free Tesla Solar website does it mention anything about TYPES OF INSTALLATIONS AVAILABLE, for the build-your-own section. Seems to me it’s not really “build-your-own,” it’s a takeit-or-leave-it menu that says pick from an extremely short list of fixed-price packages.

Nowhere that I could find does Tesla say “roofs only” and ”no ground installations” which leaves a would-be customer like me wondering, wtf Tesla?

I have submitted email inquiries to Tesla Solar 3-4 times in the past 3 years, always using a special email just for correspondence with Tesla Solar. Never gotten a reply ever. However, I have seen Tesla routinely harvest that special email to entice me to buy a 3, or an S, or a Y.

I won’t put solar on my roof. It’s flat (this is New Mexico) and it needs major renovation in a couple years. I want a ground install; we have the perfect south-facing location in the backyard. I have no idea if Tesla will do it.

I bet there are thousands of other would-be customers hesitant to proceed due to Tesla’s incompetence at communicating all the necessary details about its products.

I think the line kind of needs to be drawn somewhere. You did sign a contract at the old pricing. Tesla doesn’t really even have to offer a rebate, so if they are willing to give you some money back that’s more than they really need to do.

It always sucks when you buy something and then a newer better thing comes out at a lower price and that’s kind of the situation you (and I) are in.

It’s a whole lot of money and I don’t blame you at all for trying to get the best price that you can, but do remember that you agreed to the old price and the install date and if you try to back out at install time it may not go well.

Good luck in any case and let us know how it goes and what you decide to do.
Good news. Tesla saw my voicemail and cancelled my install for tomorrow! I'm going to talk to sales rep and likely just cancel the entire order and reorder with the new panels.

Spoke to a TE advisor, yesterday. He was a former Solar City employee, who said Tesla has carried on with a "no ground mount" policy. "Too expensive". I share similar concern, as the nature of the roof means 8-9% capacity factors, where I'd get 14-15% at one end of the lawn. One way to think of it is, if Tesla is offering <$2/watt and rack-mount guy is almost $4 (with conduit run, etc), than you've pretty much funded the gap by going with more roof panels, in sub-optimal places.

This assumes having enough roof space.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Some other benefits of the new 340W G6+ panels:
- black main busbars (as opposed to silver/metallic)
- 25 year panel and performance warranty (as opposed to 12 year panel / 25 year performance)
- 0.3% more efficient
- 0.01 Voc better temperature coefficient

The new panels and pricing should result in about a 15% shorter pay-back period compared to previous pricing, which was already far lower than what I could find locally.

This is huge. Thanks for this gem I’ll make absolutely sure to get the new panels for this reason alone (25 yr warranty) and not opt for the rebate with older panels.

Did they make you cancel and create a new order? Or were they able to just modify your existing order? And if it was able to be modified were you before or after you had received permits approval? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
This is huge. Thanks for this gem I’ll make absolutely sure to get the new panels for this reason alone (25 yr warranty) and not opt for the rebate with older panels.

Did they make you cancel and create a new order? Or were they able to just modify your existing order? And if it was able to be modified were you before or after you had received permits approval? Thanks in advance

We modified the existing order. My situation is a little different, though, being new construction and still 2 months out from taking ownership.

Reactions: njhtran
Got ahold of an advisor this morning. As you all had suggested the rebate would’ve been given however the amount was vague. I opted to change my order and wait to redesign and repermit to get the new panels for the longer warranty.

I have to say that Tesla solar service thus far is stellar.

@tinm Tesla is definitely very picky about where and how they choose to install and I haven’t heard of them doing a ground install for a home. Your best bet is probably to call 877-571-7652 tomorrow and talk to one of the energy advisors.

So I called the number. The recorded greeting voice warns me the call may be recorded. Then the rep gets on the line, and the very first thing he does is warn me again, that the call may be recorded. I didn't have the heart to tell them I was already recording the call on my end, but anyway :)

So I found the guy about as interested and excited in talking to a prospective Tesla Solar customer as a maybe the clerk behind the counter at the DMV. I told him I was interested in the solar panels, not the solar roof shingles. Then I asked if it was possible to do a ground install, as opposed to a roof install. He basically said, "no." I said, "Why?" It's not a moneymaker for Tesla, he basically said, in so many words. I said, ok, how about *I* get a local crew, get the permits, build a solid solar panel ground install infrastructure that meets or exceeds all relevant building codes, and all Tesla Solar has to do is install the panels themselves--would that still be a showstopper? His reply, "yes."

I told him well, then, Tesla Solar is a complete showstopper for me and I will have to look for another solar company. "Ok thanks for calling." He might as well have said don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out. Geez.

Bye, Tesla Solar, it's not going to happen.

So I called the number. The recorded greeting voice warns me the call may be recorded. Then the rep gets on the line, and the very first thing he does is warn me again, that the call may be recorded. I didn't have the heart to tell them I was already recording the call on my end, but anyway :)

So I found the guy about as interested and excited in talking to a prospective Tesla Solar customer as a maybe the clerk behind the counter at the DMV. I told him I was interested in the solar panels, not the solar roof shingles. Then I asked if it was possible to do a ground install, as opposed to a roof install. He basically said, "no." I said, "Why?" It's not a moneymaker for Tesla, he basically said, in so many words. I said, ok, how about *I* get a local crew, get the permits, build a solid solar panel ground install infrastructure that meets or exceeds all relevant building codes, and all Tesla Solar has to do is install the panels themselves--would that still be a showstopper? His reply, "yes."

I told him well, then, Tesla Solar is a complete showstopper for me and I will have to look for another solar company. "Ok thanks for calling." He might as well have said don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out. Geez.

Bye, Tesla Solar, it's not going to happen.

Yeah it's frustrating, but Tesla is in no way 'obligated' to install panels for you, especially considering your scenario... it's not what they do. This is not the thread to voice your Tesla Solar gripes. Take it elsewhere.

Yeah, like I said, Tesla is very picky about where and how they choose to install. I suggested you call the number to get a definitive answer about whether they would do a ground install or not, and unfortunately the answer is ‘no’. The guy you were talking to probably doesn’t know all the reasoning behind it and certainly isn’t able to make an exception to their policy.

Like you said, Tesla solar isn’t the right solution for you, but I’m sure you’ll be able to find a number of other companies that would be happy to help. You can try www.energysage.com. I got a number of quotes through there as I was deciding on which way to go with my solar project.

• Helpful
I have a 4.08 kw system that was installed with q.peak duo blk-g6+ 340w with m4-tl-us delta inverter that is not compatible with the system size. The M5 inverter would have the capability of the panels. The result is service calls since installation and no resolve 7 months later. The M4 specs do not go up to the level needed which is a major design flaw. My system in full sun is constantly rebooting and shuts down at 3:15pm everyday in full sun. If I were to do it all over again I would find a system with microinverters or ensure that all components that are installed were done per correct specs. When Tesla installed my system they left roof damage due to not wearing proper shoes and left holes in the roof from anchors used during installation which they did later fix once I had my roof inspected after I saw the damage. I call support almost weekly for the system shutting down and they keep sending tech out who report there are indeed problems. Getting the problems fixed should have been done by now but they do not seem to have the staff needed or ability to actually fix what they know is wrong. I feel sorry for the tech who keeps coming out because he is even in disbelief at the trouble.