Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 340W Solar Panels on Tesla's Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you wondering if tesla will actually follow through with the "we will refund you the difference after you get PTO" thing, at least on my powerwalls, I did finally receive the difference. They have some sort of mechanism in place to escalate these things, but I would definitely ask your rep to be put on the list for a refund of the difference if you are in a place where you dont want to cancel and start over.

I have permits but no install date my town takes about two weeks for permits so I’m wondering if I should cancel and reorder.

In addition to permiting again with new part numbers and specs, you are talking about time that Trsla has to put in to the new drawings and submittal time and going to end of Tesla’s installation line. Here in the SF Bay area there has been a backlog of orders awaiting installs. Every home is different so it’s not so cookie cutter at that end. We put our deposit down at very beginning of January and signed contract in February. City approved permit shortly after. Then covid has played havoc with customers installs, here since mid-March thru early June. In the meantime people have placed orders and made changes (we decided to go full house backup with 3 PWs ourselves, which just got permitted for the third, city made them file a new permit for it not just amend first).

While we’d love more efficient panels generating more potential power wildfires have started here already and the main point of our getting the combo was for PG&E safety shutdowns. We’ll be more than adequately covered so for us delaying and redoing our contracts and getting at end of install line is not worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
While we’d love more efficient panels generating more potential power wildfires have started here already and the main point of our getting the combo was for PG&E safety shutdowns. We’ll be more than adequately covered so for us delaying and redoing our contracts and getting at end of install line is not worth it.

On that note, I just got something in the mail from Southern California Edison (SCE). Nice colorful pamphlet, stating, in effect, "We know that people are sheltering in place, but we still will be moving forward with PSPS events as we deem necessary. Sorry about that" (paraphrasing of course).

Right now, I am like "bring... it... on!" :p

In addition to permiting again with new part numbers and specs, you are talking about time that Trsla has to put in to the new drawings and submittal time and going to end of Tesla’s installation line. Here in the SF Bay area there has been a backlog of orders awaiting installs. Every home is different so it’s not so cookie cutter at that end. We put our deposit down at very beginning of January and signed contract in February. City approved permit shortly after. Then covid has played havoc with customers installs, here since mid-March thru early June. In the meantime people have placed orders and made changes (we decided to go full house backup with 3 PWs ourselves, which just got permitted for the third, city made them file a new permit for it not just amend first).

I took the rebate so that I could keep moving forward. It was nearly 4400 bucks so good.

Do you have the spec sheet from your design you could post a screenshot of? 340W from the same size panel is impressive!

Here's what was given to us at contract time.
1 (1).jpeg

New info on Tesla's site on solar panels:
1 (2).jpeg

duh! stand corrected now on size and weight!! that was not what was posted at midnight on their site. It's been updated since then.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: kelly
Anyone know if this will impact the solar roof pricing? They always state the solar roof price is close to the cost of a new roof plus solar panels, which is true within +/- 2k on most roofs. This will push that to 5 or 6 k without a reduction in the solar roof price.

Anyone know if this will impact the solar roof pricing? They always state the solar roof price is close to the cost of a new roof plus solar panels, which is true within +/- 2k on most roofs. This will push that to 5 or 6 k without a reduction in the solar roof price.
I don't have any information on what their current plans are, but I can tell you that between when we first priced our v3 solar roof last fall and when it was installed in March (still pending PTO,) the price did drop, and they did re-price our contract (we added a second powerall as well.) So, it is definitely worth asking if they have lowered pricing (and potentially checking again once Q3 starts,) as they seem pretty good about giving you the better pricing, but only if you ask (and, of course, if better pricing exists.)

I don't have any information on what their current plans are, but I can tell you that between when we first priced our v3 solar roof last fall and when it was installed in March (still pending PTO,) the price did drop, and they did re-price our contract (we added a second powerall as well.) So, it is definitely worth asking if they have lowered pricing (and potentially checking again once Q3 starts,) as they seem pretty good about giving you the better pricing, but only if you ask (and, of course, if better pricing exists.)
Interesting, thanks. Yes, had a similar experience (it's why we pressed play this year instead of waiting a year). I'll just keep pricing it online to see if there is a change. It's at least possible! As you point out, definitely pays to keep trying.

Pricing under solar right now. Still not seeing any pricing under the PowerWall web area under Solar Panels. Last time the PWs info came down they had discontinued the bundling discount because they had a large waiting list of people wanting them (especially here in wildfire power shutdown areas). Might be they aren't pushing them now to make sure they can fill the orders they have or they just haven't finished updating the site and waiting for Battery Day??

1 (3).jpeg

Last edited:
Here's what was given to us at contract time.
View attachment 553599

New info on Tesla's site on solar panels:
View attachment 553600

duh! stand corrected now on size and weight!! that was not what was posted at midnight on their site. It's been updated since then.

I checked this morning and it was still the old G5 size. Looks like they finally updated it.

So Tesla is now using the G6 panel ("Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G6+"). Same Q.cells, just more of them.

Last edited:
Looks like they finally updated it. I checked this morning and it was still the old G5 size.

So Tesla is now using the G6 panel. Same Q.cells, just more of them.

Did you mean fewer of them since the new size is larger?

I'm been checking Q-Cells website, and on it now, and still only seeing the G4.1 and G5 panels listed there for North America panels. Australia lists a G6+ but not the nicer IMO Duo Blk. They are rated at 340-355 Wp but the weight is off at 19.9 kg (43.87 lbs). There are similar panels on their site for the UK and those have a 335-350Wp rating, same weight as Australia, but they come in Duo black, like the US G5s Tesla has been previously spec'ing. Interestingly the UK site also has a Q.Peak Duo Blk-G8+. The dimensions of the UK Duo Blk G6+ do match up to the ones listed now on Tesla's website.

Wow, came on randomly to write up about my experience these last 2 days with Tesla solar and saw this. My last day to cancel ends in 1 hour. No response from my Tesla rep via email or phone yet so I guess I will have to cancel and start over to be safe?

Wow, came on randomly to write up about my experience these last 2 days with Tesla solar and saw this. My last day to cancel ends in 1 hour. No response from my Tesla rep via email or phone yet so I guess I will have to cancel and start over to be safe?

You'll put yourself further back in the order/install line if you do. If you just placed an order then you haven't been presented with layout and product details yet so you can have that changed before you sign your contract. We re-configured our roof layout before going to contract so don't really see a problem for you unless you are beyond that stage? Once they submit a permit you get locked into the product as the city building department will hold them to what was spec'd at the time of permit approval. Refiling a permit will incur an additional cost and time. As mentioned above by others they are honoring the new pricing anyway if that was your concern.

As for wanting/getting the new larger sized panels, that would depend on your roof. We managed to get the panels we have of the 315 size to just make the Medium size install of 24 panels. Due to vent pipe locations on the roof we just managed that placement and for our layout don't think we could gone with larger panels.

Last edited:
Well I just signed up 2 days ago and have already had the prelim design delivered/approved, on site inspection by Tesla this morning, and signed all the paperwork but I'm only going to lose 2 days in terms of the line. Sounds like maybe it is less busy down here than in the Bay Area maybe?

My Tesla rep has been worthless so far so I'm concerned about having to get the rebate issue taken care of with her after my cancellation period expires (she told me subscription removal cost was $1200 vs. actual $2500 in the agreement, no option to buy after subscription but it is actually an option in the docs now "as of last week" she claims, and she told me the interest rate to buy would be 4.5-4.99% but it is fixed at 5.99% on the 20 yr option regardless of credit per Tesla financial rep I spoke to after her).

• Helpful
Reactions: SMAlset