Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 340W Solar Panels on Tesla's Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya seems like the rebate would have to pretty substantial to not only make up for the lower cost of the system but also the loss of efficiency over the life of the system. Since I don't mind waiting for them to redo anything and start over I'm seeing a real down side to it...

Pricing under solar right now. Still not seeing any pricing under the PowerWall web area under Solar Panels. Last time the PWs info came down they had discontinued the bundling discount because they had a large waiting list of people wanting them (especially here in wildfire power shutdown areas). Might be they aren't pushing them now to make sure they can fill the orders they have or they just haven't finished updating the site and waiting for Battery Day??

View attachment 553626

You need to enter your address and utility bill amount before you will see powerwall info.

• Helpful
Reactions: SMAlset
Ya I think it just saves me the $130 "deposit" maybe. Either way, my rep got back to me and said there has been a ton of people calling about this but she did not have the info on what the rebate would be and she also couldn't get through to tesla financial side to find out yet, so we cancelled the order and put a new one in.

Interestingly - maybe its been covered on here somewhere else already - but since I didnt have a Tesla account and referral link prior to my original order, I used my friend's referral link, but now that I had placed an order and cancelled it, I still had an account and was able to place the new order under my own referral link :)

I emailed my rep and was able to get my small system knocked down about $1000 if I stick with the smaller panels. :eek:

I am getting quotes for moving some roof vents so my permits and design are paused at the moment. It seems like I could keep the small panels as is, or move to the bigger panels (not for free of course). Lucked out I guess.

Any info or speculation as to what inverter will be used with the new 8.16kw-medium package? I paid my deposit last week and was in the process of tweaking the layout when news broke this morning. They gave me the option to change to the new panel/pricing or adjust my current contract to match the new price per watt. Net cost winds up about the same either way due to the way Hawaii does their rebate.

You'll put yourself further back in the order/install line if you do. If you just placed an order then you haven't been presented with layout and product details yet so you can have that changed before you sign your contract. We re-configured our roof layout before going to contract so don't really see a problem for you unless you are beyond that stage? Once they submit a permit you get locked into the product as the city building department will hold them to what was spec'd at the time of permit approval. Refiling a permit will incur an additional cost and time. As mentioned above by others they are honoring the new pricing anyway if that was your concern.

As for wanting/getting the new larger sized panels, that would depend on your roof. We managed to get the panels we have of the 315 size to just make the Medium size install of 24 panels. Due to vent pipe locations on the roof we just managed that placement and for our layout don't think we could gone with larger panels.

I am not sure that even after the permit is filed you are locked in.

Our solarglass roof, and I suspect many others, is slightly different than what was on the original permit stated. When they got up on the roof they found they had to install a slightly different number of active tiles which changes the overall solar power generated by the roof versus what is on the permit. The roof was initially inspected and signed off (nailing inspection at 1/2 way) under this permit. Now that the roof is finished, an updated to the original permit (i.e. permit number is the same) has been filed with the actual numbers. That is winding its way through the checks and should (fingers crossed) be approved and final inspection scheduled in a week or so. I have been working (actually more like saying where the heck is it!) with the city on this and they are set to inspect in a day or so of the permit update being approved.

Last edited:
Delta's M-Series seems to match up nicely. They have 4 kW, 5 kW, 6 kW, 8 kW and 10 kW.
Products - Solar Inverters - M4-TL-US | M5-TL-US | M6-TL-US | M8-TL-US | M10-TL-US - Delta Group

We have the M4 and M8 on our Solar glass roof. They worked well during testing. Peaking over 10KW ( from12+KW roof) in early May. Only downside is no display except 5 status lights. Also, they communicate with a Tesla/Solar City inverter gateway box, but I have no found a way to get access to the data to get per inverter information.

Last edited:
Some other benefits of the new 340W G6+ panels:
- black main busbars (as opposed to silver/metallic)
- 25 year panel and performance warranty (as opposed to 12 year panel / 25 year performance)
- 0.3% more efficient
- 0.01 Voc better temperature coefficient

The new panels and pricing should result in about a 15% shorter pay-back period compared to previous pricing, which was already far lower than what I could find locally.

I just called about this as well. As I said above, my install is scheduled for Monday and my permit has already been approved, so I was pretty sure that nothing would be able to be changed at this point. I did ask the advisor if I could switch to the new panels and not surprisingly he said that I was not able to switch. He then told me about the rebate available to people with orders already in process. The way he phrased it though it sounded like you needed to request the rebate. He asked if I wanted him to submit my order for the rebate and he said that I should see a new document in my account within a few days with rebate details. He also said that he couldn’t tell me exactly how much the rebate would be because it depends on a lot of factors, such as the size of the system, whether you have powerwalls or not, and your location. But he did have a chart he could refer to to estimate the rebate amount and in my case (XL system with powerwalls in Florida) he said that the rebate should be around $2200.

All that said, if you do have a pending order and you don’t want to or it’s too late for you to change to the new panels I would suggest calling to ask about the rebate. It is my understanding that they won’t just give this to everyone and you do need to request it.

The new document appeared in my account today and needed to be virtually signed. Here is what it looks like (after removing my personal information):
02F7DF28-2B83-423F-BD26-1880BEDAB0F6.jpeg

3CF56C3E-1A26-4C3F-9248-C6962BF0CD24.jpeg

82632B1C-9797-44F6-8CC5-BBDA61E61D34.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Interesting. I received a new "solar purchase agreement" with the updated pricing which required my virtual signature. The price was originally $10,500 on my first agreement and is now $9,581.55 on the new one. I haven't paid for any portion of the system yet besides the $100 deposit, your documents seem to imply you have paid for a portion or all of your system?