Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 3D wh/mi seems high...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My new AWD non P model 3 (loving it!) seems to be more inefficient than my previous s75d...

I've got 308 miles on the odo and lifetime 101 kwh used. That equates to around 325wh/mi, which seems bonkers. At this rate, I'll get worse mileage than on my previous S75D, which was rated at 259!

I've got a reasonable highway commute that was getting me about 280 wh/mi average in the S.

I'm pretty sure driving mostly the same way I was driving my S before, not pushing the 3 any harder, relatively speaking. I've also only had it for a week, and the weather has been fairly reasonable.

Thoughts? Any decent way to tell if brakes are dragging? Anything else to check?

Hi all,

My new AWD non P model 3 (loving it!) seems to be more inefficient than my previous s75d...

I've got 308 miles on the odo and lifetime 101 kwh used. That equates to around 325wh/mi, which seems bonkers. At this rate, I'll get worse mileage than on my previous S75D, which was rated at 259!

I've got a reasonable highway commute that was getting me about 280 wh/mi average in the S.

I'm pretty sure driving mostly the same way I was driving my S before, not pushing the 3 any harder, relatively speaking. I've also only had it for a week, and the weather has been fairly reasonable.

Thoughts? Any decent way to tell if brakes are dragging? Anything else to check?

You live in New York and it’s getting cold out. If you want to see an improvement try pre-conditioning the car before any driving.

Averaging 300 on long trips of 200 miles. But for shorter trips of 25 miles or less around 350 to 450.
Lifetime around 325 on 4000 miles with average temperature of 60 degrees.
It will be interesting to see the increase in consumption as the are now below freezing in Minnesota.
Getting the car and battery warm is a good 1st step. Getting the motors warm is the next step.

I have the same feeling on my MS every winter. Something is horribly wrong. But it doesn't take much temperature drop to dramatically affect range -- I live in Texas, so it doesn't get very cold here ever.

Your sample size on the M3 is too small, and only covers cooler weather. Likely when you measure it for a year, you will be relieved. Then, of course, it will get cool again, and you'll panic.;)

Remember to re-check your tire pressures as it gets colder. They will go down, and that is one factor you CAN control.

Reactions: FalconNinetyD
I'm just thinking that it doesn't compare to the S, which was lower, even factoring in the creeping cold we've got.
My 3D and my previous S75D had very similar battery capacities, from what I understand, the improved mileage on the 3 is due to the improvements in efficiency of the car itself, not battery size, so seeing a higher wh/mi concerns me that I'm going to be able to go less distance on a full charge than with my S.

Of course I pre-heat the cabin before leaving - I'm not some kind of caveman.

This is why I found Teslafi so much, I signed on in the summer and I know have this neat report showing a linear range decline from summer to now (even in NC).

I have a LR FWD and road trips with heat, a high 70 MPH average and 3 adults equals about 220-230 miles of range. It's a 215 mile trip and I can't make it in one shot without sacrificing one of the 3 right now.

We almost a 1,000 miles in and average 325. Not sure how to get much lower.

Press and hold that fan icon in the middle bottom of the screen until it goes gray. And then leave it that way. With heat taking a minimum of about 2kW when you have it on, even when traveling at 80mph that is going to add 25Wh/mi. If you are going 20mph it adds 100Wh/mi!

Last edited:
Press and hold that fan icon in the middle bottom of the screen until it goes gray. And then leave it that way. With heat taking a minimum of about 2kW when you have it on, even when traveling at 80mph that is going to add 25Wh/mi.

why does the heater consume so much? a home space heater is <2kW and will overheat a bedroom. a <2kw kettle will boil a liter of water in a minute.

even if it has to spin a fan and whatever else, thats almost 3hp...pretty serious amount of power just to keep the cabin warm

why does the heater consume so much? a home space heater is <2kW and will overheat a bedroom.

Bedrooms are typically insulated, often with dual-pane glass, and not made of aluminum and steel. You should try a space heater in a motor home or a shipping container.

Anyway, this is easily measurable on your own using the in-car display and an 11kW Wall Connector (deduct the charging losses). It's about 2kW steady state to maintain 73 degrees with an outside temperature in the the 50s.