Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 3PD. Issues: Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, no frunk mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I see people complain about Tesla's build quality, I just tell myself its because people only use forums to complain. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt but that was before I took delivery of my P3D today.
The MD service center is a bit dark so its hard to really see any flaws but once I came home I did a brief once over and GEEZ, what the eff.
Not to mention that there were some "dirt" finger prints on the vanity mirror. Not only that the black console was all scratched up. I know its glossy black plastic and I know it scratches easily but I don't like when it COMES scratched.
I think its from when the delivery advisor had the key cards resting on the gloss black WHILE still wrapped in a crinkled plastic wrapper and it probably slid around.

I'm still a bit irked. My AWD had little issues but this is definitely more.
I emailed them the due bill right now but still, I'm irritated to the point on whether I should ask for a vehicle swap or something. What the heck.

Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, little scratches here and there, no frunk mat given.
Am I being too anal?

I'm still irked that my plastic came scratched up though.

Imgur
I agree that you should try to get it repaired but what will likely happen is a return.

When I got mine, the only thing I noticed was the passenger mirror would get stuck when unfolding so I emailed support and of course they ignored me until I threatened to return the car.

Something for you to watch out on is that on my white m3 from 7/2019, every door jam has primer showing, the wheel well edges also have primer showing (ie missing paint) and the same with the frunk etc. Also lots of bolts on the door hinge are not painted while right next to the same bolt is a painted bolt.

Keep in mind, after 7 days, they will 100% ignore any issues you find. My adviser claimed I had "100 miles" to report these issues.............

Overall, you get hate for sharing issues on this forum, just ignore them. They take it personally for some reason.

I say let them fix it as long as everything that needs fixing is written down in the due bill. In addition, I would even go as far as writing down how they go about fixing things to your satisfaction. In other words if you feel that for example the hood won’t be repaired to your satisfaction then ask them to replace it. At this point you’re in the drivers seat. If everything else (mechanically) is in great shape, it may be worthwhile to go ahead with repairs. If they won’t work with you then return it. I had some issues with mine upon delivery, the biggest one a huge gouge and a dent in the door sill. I asked the SC if they could pull the dent out and repaint the sill. I told them I didn't want the gouge filed in with bondo or anything similar. They agreed and although the car was in the shop longer it was worth it.

Reactions: MXWing
I use black liquid shoe polish that has a foam applicator. Come on, folks. Surely you can fix a few things. And sometimes the "stain" comes right off with a cloth. Often it is just hand lotion left by a lady passenger. I also have had black fingerprints on my driver's side headliner, which came off with a little water, a little rubbing alcohol and a teensy bit of liquid soap (not even a drop) applied with a sponge. It disappeared like magic.

I did not have to go to a service center or complain on a forum. I just fix it myself. It's really easy, people! Even I can do it.
Car is OVER $50k !!!

Ask for FSD, let them fix it and call it a day?
That’s all software unlock to them.

Looking at the deep paint gauges, I don't think one can "fix" that without multi-panel paint respray.
Once you add up all the effected panels, you are looking at respraying most of, if not the entire, car.
To do that properly, one would need to first remove ALL trim from the car (never accept Maaco-style tape masking), which is not a trivial project. Then add the cost of replacing trim pieces with broken attachment tabs, etc, etc.

I know some folks who had done all that with their antique cars, and it can easily run $6-10K and 2-3 weeks of in the body shop, when done properly. On the plus side, the paint will come out looking WAY better than what you would otherwise get from a Tesla factory.

It's up to the OP, but I would ask for a new car, or $3-5K in kick-backs to compensate for the drop in resale value.
I am not certain that FSD has much of a resale value, so I would not settle for that.

a

Last edited:
Reactions: tvad
shame on them!! Forget expecting perfect...i'm sure less "war torn" would have been acceptable!
some of your issues are disgraceful for a newly delivered car, BUT if they fix it all to your satisfaction with not any aggravation getting to that agreement...well, all is forgiven, i hope
wishing you the best in this endeavor

I would also argue that this post is also valuable to those who haven’t bought yet. I was a day 1 reservation holder and cancelled due to the initial buid issues. It’s disappointing to still continually hear stories like this. Yes, I understand forum bias, but there are just too many examples of unacceptable quality that should never see the light of day. How many people at Tesla willfully ignored these ridiculous issues for that car to get into the hands of a customer. Even 1 is too many and speaks to the company culture issues at Tesla.

Despite all this, I’m still probably going to buy soon, because there is nothing else even close to this car. But I’m well armed with a list of items to check in very bright lighting to make sure I end up with a car I can enjoy.

When I see people complain about Tesla's build quality, I just tell myself its because people only use forums to complain. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt but that was before I took delivery of my P3D today.
The MD service center is a bit dark so its hard to really see any flaws but once I came home I did a brief once over and GEEZ, what the eff.
Not to mention that there were some "dirt" finger prints on the vanity mirror. Not only that the black console was all scratched up. I know its glossy black plastic and I know it scratches easily but I don't like when it COMES scratched.
I think its from when the delivery advisor had the key cards resting on the gloss black WHILE still wrapped in a crinkled plastic wrapper and it probably slid around.

I'm still a bit irked. My AWD had little issues but this is definitely more.
I emailed them the due bill right now but still, I'm irritated to the point on whether I should ask for a vehicle swap or something. What the heck.

Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, little scratches here and there, no frunk mat given.
Am I being too anal?

I'm still irked that my plastic came scratched up though.

Imgur
Are you going to complain for 7 days or do something about it?

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I would also argue that this post is also valuable to those who haven’t bought yet. But I’m well armed with a list of items to check in very bright lighting to make sure I end up with a car I can enjoy.

After reading the posts here, we brought a powerful LED flashlight to the delivery center and my wife went over the car with a fine toothed comb. We found three minor cosmetic issues that the delivery person wrote down and took delivery. I have since forgotten about them after driving the car for a month now. Still, not a bad idea o bring a flashlight after reading the OP's story.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Please return it.

Then everyone will be happy.
Post a pick of any one of your defects. Tesla opponents post here all of the time.

Umm... he posted a link to the pics in the original post. I'm generally of the mindset that I'd turn a blind eye to a few defects here and there, the car won't stay perfect forever. After I purchased and went to have a ceramic coating done, my detailer noticed I had a 3" scratch that went through the clear coat by the Tesla logo on the trunk. At the end of the day, whatever, I was still very satisfied with the car and it didn't bother me.

But look at the pictures the OP posted - this is not just some scratches. There are gouges into the metal itself and bare metal is exposed. I'd personally consider that unacceptable. Now that delivery has been taken, the OP faces a tough choice because if he returns, he is out of a car for a few months while they process the refund, right? Considering that he just traded in his AWD?

If he can get the AWD back as part of the return, then I'd say that's the way to go, assuming he will be allowed to order an M3P. No point in living with a new car that is worse condition than what you traded in. But if you can't, I'd go the route of getting this fixed, because it would be a real hassle for the next few months until you get the refund resolved.