Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 3PD. Issues: Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, no frunk mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The earliest appointment is 9/30 but my return period is 9/27. Should I get something in writing or something?
I don't want a situation where they seem as though they're going above and beyond to get this fixed and then right when I'm outside of the return period, they hit me with a "tough luck. Actually we can't replace the mid console, or trim, or etc etc."
Get everything annotated on a due bill. You’ll be good.

The earliest appointment is 9/30 but my return period is 9/27. Should I get something in writing or something?
I don't want a situation where they seem as though they're going above and beyond to get this fixed and then right when I'm outside of the return period, they hit me with a "tough luck. Actually we can't replace the mid console, or trim, or etc etc."

Yes. Get it in writing and let them fix it. If they refuse, get a refund.

When I see people complain about Tesla's build quality, I just tell myself its because people only use forums to complain. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt but that was before I took delivery of my P3D today.
The MD service center is a bit dark so its hard to really see any flaws but once I came home I did a brief once over and GEEZ, what the eff.
Not to mention that there were some "dirt" finger prints on the vanity mirror. Not only that the black console was all scratched up. I know its glossy black plastic and I know it scratches easily but I don't like when it COMES scratched.
I think its from when the delivery advisor had the key cards resting on the gloss black WHILE still wrapped in a crinkled plastic wrapper and it probably slid around.

I'm still a bit irked. My AWD had little issues but this is definitely more.
I emailed them the due bill right now but still, I'm irritated to the point on whether I should ask for a vehicle swap or something. What the heck.

Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, little scratches here and there, no frunk mat given.
Am I being too anal?

I'm still irked that my plastic came scratched up though.

Imgur
I'm going to get a bunch of thumbs down for this, but I don't care.... I wouldn't accept that car.

A lot of the paint issues were caused by the transportation company, but some are actual paint flaws.

The problem with getting paint "fixed" is that it can never be done to the same quality and durability level of factory paint.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of that damage is from vehicle handling, not actual factory issues. Tesla needs to get after their transportation companies for this.

You paid $60k+ for that car. I would hold them to a $60k car standard.

Since you did actually take delivery and accept the vehicle, I believe your only recourse is to return it. Unfortunately, every return experience posted here that I've read has been a lengthy ordeal. And I believe that returning the car prevents you from ordering the same trim level car for six months.

However, since you were unable to see the defects, damage, etc. under the conditions that existed at the SC at the time of delivery, you *might* be able to get the six month wait waived.

But there is absolutely no way that I'd accept that car. If I were in your shoes, I'd return it and take the six month hit if necessary.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, man. About the only silver lining I have for you is that the car is so good that it's actually worth going through the hassle of returning it and trying again in six months.

You could let them try and fix it, but you'll be left with a repaired vehicle, with repaired paint. To me, that's not a new car. And you paid for a new car.

This just... sucks. :(

Of course, get it in writing.

If Tesla will put everything in writing I would keep the car at this point. Returning it is a hassle. You’ll lose the savings on the sales tax, you will be without a car and you’ll be waiting 60 days for a refund. And you won’t be able to reorder the same trim level. It’s just not worth it.

Lesson to be learned here for others is to be very critical of things prior to signing anything. Rejecting a car is no big deal. Returning a car is.

The better question is why would Tesla deliver it?

We all know that Tesla doesn't have a dealership to fix these issues before delivery that likely are common among all cars manufacturered. You've been on here long enough to know that issues are fixed via due bill after the sale. Do you think Mercedes dealerships don't do essentially the same thing with cars sent from the factory to their dealerships? As we all know potential Tesla owners do have the option to reject delivery and wait for another match if they aren't willing to go the due bill route and some here have gone that route.

Reactions: C141medic
I'm going to get a bunch of thumbs down for this, but I don't care.... I wouldn't accept that car.

A lot of the paint issues were caused by the transportation company, but some are actual paint flaws.

The problem with getting paint "fixed" is that it can never be done to the same quality and durability level of factory paint.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of that damage is from vehicle handling, not actual factory issues. Tesla needs to get after their transportation companies for this.

You paid $60k+ for that car. I would hold them to a $60k car standard.

Since you did actually take delivery and accept the vehicle, I believe your only recourse is to return it. Unfortunately, every return experience posted here that I've read has been a lengthy ordeal. And I believe that returning the car prevents you from ordering the same trim level car for six months.

However, since you were unable to see the defects, damage, etc. under the conditions that existed at the SC at the time of delivery, you *might* be able to get the six month wait waived.

But there is absolutely no way that I'd accept that car. If I were in your shoes, I'd return it and take the six month hit if necessary.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, man. About the only silver lining I have for you is that the car is so good that it's actually worth going through the hassle of returning it and trying again in six months.

You could let them try and fix it, but you'll be left with a repaired vehicle, with repaired paint. To me, that's not a new car. And you paid for a new car.

This just... sucks. :(
Totally agree with you, I would get the refund and reorder, maybe even 2nd time around they will get it right.

Fred

We all know that Tesla doesn't have a dealership to fix these issues before delivery that likely are common among all cars manufacturered. . . . As we all know potential Tesla owners do have the option to reject delivery and wait for another match if they aren't willing to go the due bill route and some here have gone that route.

I disagree that these problems are common. The number and magnitude of problems in this particular car are rather extreme.

As for the option to reject delivery, that causes the buyer to enter a decision tree which has a number of bad options. Case in point: the OP.

Reactions: tvad
The service center garage is pretty dark. It's not as though I was going to ask them to pull the car out to the front parking lot so I can look at at inch by inch. The door sill issue I was going to let go if that was the flaw. When I got home I noticed that the hood edge was catching the light. Upon closer inspection I realized it was a chunk of metal missing and than I went on a goose hunt to find all the issues.

I'm really starting to think them having a dark garage is intentional.

I really don't think the lighting in the garage is intentional and why not ask to pull the car out if it's a concern at that location? I recall some owners asking them to do that for them.

When we picked up our MS it was staged beautifully in the store's service garage bay area (where cars were being delivered at that time) along with another car...this was early 2017 back when you got more of a formal presentation and swag bag and before the wave of Model 3s. The bay doors were open to the outside and natural light was streaming in in addition to the overhead indoor garage lighting but our car was a Midnight Silver Metallic and so the lower part of the car was harder to see as well as the interior with black seating -- even in the daylight. People at that time, along with a check list, were suggesting bringing a flashlight which I think we did or my husband used the one on his phone. Think we found one light scratch for the due bill and on the way to our detailer for PPF picked up another one driving the 5 miles up the road. Our detailer did paint correction before film and we couldn't tell so were very happy. Delivery of my Model 3 was in the late morning outside at their delivery center parking lot area so lighting wasn't an issue.

I do think the under hood damage is more than I would have found acceptable but probably can be addressed. Looks to be on the underside where it's not visible unless the hood is up. The small paint spots, scratch or/and scuffs are all probably fairly easily remedied. I had a couple paint dust spots on my pearl white Model 3 and along with a slight panel alignment at the headlight/hood area Tesla took care of those and made the car look perfect. As soon as I could I got a vinyl wrap on my center console. If you decide to keep the car and let them do the due bill work on the other items, I wouldn't be too concerned if your plan is to have the console covered anyway...which I think most people decided to do. Between scratches and fingerprints and reflectiveness, it's just begging to be covered. If you weren't going to cover it, well then that would be a different matter but essentially I'm sure you'd end up with scratches in no time anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: YisSerL
When I see people complain about Tesla's build quality, I just tell myself its because people only use forums to complain. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt but that was before I took delivery of my P3D today.
The MD service center is a bit dark so its hard to really see any flaws but once I came home I did a brief once over and GEEZ, what the eff.
Not to mention that there were some "dirt" finger prints on the vanity mirror. Not only that the black console was all scratched up. I know its glossy black plastic and I know it scratches easily but I don't like when it COMES scratched.
I think its from when the delivery advisor had the key cards resting on the gloss black WHILE still wrapped in a crinkled plastic wrapper and it probably slid around.

I'm still a bit irked. My AWD had little issues but this is definitely more.
I emailed them the due bill right now but still, I'm irritated to the point on whether I should ask for a vehicle swap or something. What the heck.

Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, little scratches here and there, no frunk mat given.
Am I being too anal?

I'm still irked that my plastic came scratched up though.

Imgur
That is bloody awful
Thanks for the heads up on what to check for before taking delivery

Reactions: tvad and Petrocelli
I disagree that these problems are common. The number and magnitude of problems in this particular car are rather extreme.

As for the option to reject delivery, that causes the buyer to enter a decision tree which has a number of bad options. Case in point: the OP.

So you are saying Mercedes doesn't deliver vehicles to their dealership that need some rework? You kind of ignored that question. Apart from the gouging of the metal under the hood I think the other items are fairly addressable. Anyone buying a Tesla knows there isn't a dealership to address issues pre-delivery.

I don't know what the car looks like before it gets to me. All I know is I have had 8 Mercedes delivered to me in 22 years, and I can't recall a single one that had a flaw that needed to be fixed.

Maybe and likely because it went to the dealership's body center to take care of the transportation and any other issues first. Not all cars end up needing this remedial work but it's not uncommon. Most cars aren't transported from factory to dealership on a covered carrier or totally wrapped in plastic. We have probably a half dozen plus dealerships in my general area and I see the car carriers going to the dealerships all the time on the road and they are open to the road. Stones get kicked up and stuff happens. And these are cars built here in the U.S. and not needing to be transported by ship in betweeen.

Reactions: C141medic
Are you suggesting he accept this new car repainted (whatever needs repainting)?

I’d have to see it in person. But half or more of those blemishes I think I’d just let go. Hard to know unless it’s your own car.

Seems like the White cars are the worst. I’ve got two MSM’s (3 and X) and they were both fine.

I’d have to see it in person. But half or more of those blemishes I think I’d just let go. Hard to know unless it’s your own car.

Seems like the White cars are the worst. I’ve got two MSM’s (3 and X) and they were both fine.

Here's two of I think 3 paint spots that were on my car's due bill list at delivery along with a panel adjustment issue. As mentioned all issues, paint and panel adjustment, were taken care of by the Tesla body shop to the point where when we picked up the car we couldn't tell where the work had been done. Figure this is basically what dealerships do when needed so you get that car in the end that you are happy with, only with Tesla it happens after the fact.

paint - 1.jpg paint - 2.jpg paint - 3.jpg